2015 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread (Second Round is set, begins tomorrow)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 10:19:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2015 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread (Second Round is set, begins tomorrow)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Author Topic: 2015 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread (Second Round is set, begins tomorrow)  (Read 11455 times)
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2015, 06:04:17 PM »

Can we talk about PK Subban not getting disciplined for that slash on Stone though? Broke the dude's wrist. There has to be at least one game for that. I know he got a misconduct to begin with, but you can't just break a dude's wrist like that.
Oh, come on now. Subban was not intending to harm Stone. He's not that kind of player. We're not talking Matt Cooke here... I maintain that he was trying to either break Stone's stick or move it out of position. Stupid choice by Subban and I get the 5 minute penalty, but a game misconduct/the suspension proposed by some fans is excessive. Anyway, Stone kind of overreacted by jumping as if a sniper hit him. Hell, he returned at the end of the game and participated in a scrum. He came back and probably deepened the injury. It clearly wasn't that serious. If you ask me, the slash in the Rangers game was just as bad, but didn't go punished.

Also, here's my prediction:

EAST
Montreal vs Ottawa
Tampa vs Detroit
New York Rangers vs Pittsburgh
New York Islanders vs Washington

WEST
St Louis vs Minnesota
Chicago vs Nashville
Anaheim vs Winnipeg
Calgary vs Vancouver

You're not biased at all are you, vivaportugalhabs
Of course not. Wink
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2015, 12:19:16 PM »

Where are my Fishstick fans?  Nice defense last night against Washington.  El Oh El. 
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2015, 08:59:07 PM »

Where are my Fishstick fans?  Nice defense last night against Washington.  El Oh El. 

Up 2-1 now, btw you enjoy Sid the Kid lighting you guys up? Lets just agree that the Mets are playing great ball.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2015, 09:14:19 PM »

you really have nothing better to do than pick on a team that hasn't won a series (or had a lead in a series past Game 1, prior to today) since 1993?  worry about your own 1-1 series.

1 title in 75 yrs isn't much to relish in your own right.  my dad tells me the "1940!" chant was a fun thing back in the 80s...
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2015, 09:17:53 PM »

Up 2-1 now, btw you enjoy Sid the Kid lighting you guys up? Lets just agree that the Mets are playing great ball.

Mets are 10-3 and up 4 games on Washington; Islanders have a 2-1 series lead for the first time since 1993; Clippers begin their series in 15 minutes.  I have never had a busier April to worry about competitive teams.

that said, playoff hockey is a fcking panic attack.  at least in baseball/football, there's time to exhale after each play and regroup the emotions.  hockey is just a straight up exhausting panic attack.  I can't even contemplate what I'll do if it's Isles/Rangers next round.  I'll have to take 10x doses of diazepines just to look at the fcking screen.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2015, 11:55:29 PM »

that said, playoff hockey is a fcking panic attack.  at least in baseball/football, there's time to exhale after each play and regroup the emotions.  hockey is just a straight up exhausting panic attack.  I can't even contemplate what I'll do if it's Isles/Rangers next round.  I'll have to take 10x doses of diazepines just to look at the fcking screen.

haha, I went to game 5 of Blackhawks-Blues last year and took some Molly before the game, which was probably the best decision I've ever made in my life as the game went to OT and I likely would have suffered a heart attack. Ended up having great conversations with surrounding Blues fans about grad school and whatnot; meanwhile people in Vancouver and Montreal are punching opposing fans and calling each other whores.
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2015, 08:03:25 AM »

Can we talk about PK Subban not getting disciplined for that slash on Stone though? Broke the dude's wrist. There has to be at least one game for that. I know he got a misconduct to begin with, but you can't just break a dude's wrist like that.

It's not a headshot or a clear intent to injure.  A bit vicious, but players go for the stick slash all the time and try to get away with it.  A major and a game misconduct is enough for this type of thing. 

Are you kidding? A slash like that isn't clear intent to injure? There's a huge difference between an aggressive slash and what Subban did. It's whatever though, Erik Karlsson leveled the living fk out of Beaulieu.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2015, 09:45:27 PM »

Two down.  Fourteen to go. 

Pittsburgh was allowed to get away with whatever the hell they wanted in the 3rd period tonight.  Crosby literally threw down Jesper Fast on Pittsburgh's only goal.  No call... because ya know... Crosby. 

Gutsy 2-1 victory for the Blueshirts.  Need to win Game 4 a put a stranglehold on this thing. 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2015, 09:02:27 AM »

Pittsburgh was allowed to get away with whatever the hell they wanted in the 3rd period tonight.  Crosby literally threw down Jesper Fast on Pittsburgh's only goal.  No call... because ya know... Crosby. 

Gutsy 2-1 victory for the Blueshirts.  Need to win Game 4 a put a stranglehold on this thing. 

You're forgetting the non-hooking call right before NY scored........lol.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2015, 09:39:02 AM »

You're forgetting the non-hooking call right before NY scored........lol.

Ticky-tack compared to Cros-bitch hauling down Fast as he is going for the poke check on Hornqvist. 
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2015, 06:36:47 PM »

that said, playoff hockey is a fcking panic attack.  at least in baseball/football, there's time to exhale after each play and regroup the emotions.  hockey is just a straight up exhausting panic attack.  I can't even contemplate what I'll do if it's Isles/Rangers next round.  I'll have to take 10x doses of diazepines just to look at the fcking screen.

haha, I went to game 5 of Blackhawks-Blues last year and took some Molly before the game, which was probably the best decision I've ever made in my life as the game went to OT and I likely would have suffered a heart attack. Ended up having great conversations with surrounding Blues fans about grad school and whatnot; meanwhile people in Vancouver and Montreal are punching opposing fans and calling each other whores.

I figured you'd find my post.  unfortunately I can't fool with serotonin-dumping drugs such as MDMA, as I suffer from severe depression in the days following.  if I find a common humanity with Rangers fans it'll be on some other ground...
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2015, 10:13:02 PM »

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2015, 07:05:41 AM »

The Sens and Jets are 0-3. Sad Sad
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2015, 07:45:15 AM »

That Capitals/Islanders series is going to be the best playoff series of the year. A lot more fun to watch than whomever ends up in the final.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #89 on: April 22, 2015, 08:16:11 AM »

That Capitals/Islanders series is going to be the best playoff series of the year. A lot more fun to watch than whomever ends up in the final.

Yup.  Go to 7 and beat the crap out of each other : )
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #90 on: April 22, 2015, 01:33:05 PM »

The Habs are going to have enough time in between series to jet off to the beach for a week or more.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #91 on: April 22, 2015, 02:05:38 PM »

The Habs are going to have enough time in between series to jet off to the beach for a week or more.

Can't count out the Senators to steal a couple of victories.  Subban ended this one when he went tomahawk on Stone, unfortunately.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #92 on: April 22, 2015, 02:18:54 PM »

Well, he didn't knock Stone out for the series as feared, at least. And the Sens have been in every game (all three games were one goal games, two went to OT).

We came back to win 20 of 22 games to make the playoffs, so they're capable of making a come back.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #93 on: April 22, 2015, 02:21:37 PM »

I had both goalies in the Mon-Ott series on my fantasy team, MONEY!
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #94 on: April 22, 2015, 02:36:48 PM »

Well, he didn't knock Stone out for the series as feared, at least. And the Sens have been in every game (all three games were one goal games, two went to OT).

We came back to win 20 of 22 games to make the playoffs, so they're capable of making a come back.

The big comebacks are becoming quite commonplace in the NHL.  Let's look at some teams that were on the brink in the last few years.

2014 ECSF - Rangers comeback from 3-1 deficit to beat Penguins
2014 WCQF - Kings comeback from 3-0 deficit to beat Sharks
2013 WCSF - Blackhawks comeback from 3-1 deficit to beat Red Wings
2011 ECQF - Lightning comeback from 3-1 deficit to beat Penguins
2010 ECQF - Canadiens comeback from 3-1 deficit to beat Capitals
2010 ECSF - Flyers comeback from 3-0 deficit to beat Bruins

So it's happened 6 times in just the last 5 playoffs where teams on the brink were able to make a run and win a series.  Twice a team won 4 in a row and both wound up in the Cup Final. 

© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #95 on: April 22, 2015, 06:09:43 PM »

1975 SCQF: Islanders comeback from 3-0 deficit to beat Penguins
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #96 on: April 22, 2015, 06:11:41 PM »

Nashville/Chicago has probably been a better series.  Isles and Capitals aren't very good, either Nash or Chicago could win the Cup.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #97 on: April 22, 2015, 07:02:29 PM »

Nashville win the cup? Dear lord...
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #98 on: April 22, 2015, 07:32:15 PM »

Nashville win the cup? Dear lord...

you've already seen Cups won in Tampa and Raleigh.  that bird had flown.

with the near-parity of the dollar things are headed your way again.  Winnipeg got another team and Quebec will within a few years.  that'll be 8, yes?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #99 on: April 22, 2015, 07:45:24 PM »

Don't forget Anaheim. That was a particularly memorable year Sad

8 teams would be nice. Restoring the teams of my childhood!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies