In how many states does your vote "really matter?"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 07:54:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  In how many states does your vote "really matter?"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: In how many states does your vote "really matter?"  (Read 493 times)
sg0508
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 03, 2015, 08:40:07 AM »

I suppose this goes back to the old, is the electoral college still a good way to elect the president? In this day of polarization, probably 35 states are decided for 2016 as we speak today. 

We complain that only 50-55% of Americans on average go to the polls during an election year, but that's pretty sad if you ask me. 

Yes, there are some states that have voted for one party but remain halfway competitive (i.e. PA, AZ, GA, IA, WI, etc.), but there are just way too many states out of play already.  Then again, in the days of the solid Democratic South, the same could be said. 
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 05:41:49 PM »

Matters most: OH, FL (close states with lots of electoral votes)
Matters a lot: NH, WI, IA, CO, NV (close states that have gone both ways recently)
Matters quite a bit: PA, MO, NM, OR (voted consistently for one party in last several elections, but still potential for surprise)
Other states: your vote for dogcatcher might still matter. ;-)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 05:56:58 PM »
« Edited: April 30, 2015, 06:00:10 PM by ElectionsGuy »

Well if I vote libertarian my vote will never real "matter", but if I vote Republican or Democrat it might (but WI hasn't gone R since '84). If I plan on moving to another state someday (likely a red state), my vote will matter even less.

I would say this, but it depends on the election and where you want to draw the line. There is also a scale, a vote in Ohio is worth more than a vote in Minnesota.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies