Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 22, 2014, 07:10:22 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Questions and Answers
| |-+  Presidential Election Process
| | |-+  What if there was an electoral disaster?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What if there was an electoral disaster?  (Read 3211 times)
zachman
YaBB God

View Profile
« on: May 30, 2004, 05:07:16 pm »
Ignore

What if the a group of 50 electors for the winning candidate were murdered by terrorists a week before they cast their ballots. The result would be no electoral majority. Would the Supreme Court intervene, or would the election be sent to Congress?

I'm a proud NH Primary voter for 2008.

Harry Reid 08'

"As some warn victory, some downfall
Private reasons great or small
Can be seen in the eyes of those that call
To make all that should be killed to crawl
While others say don't hate nothing at all
Except hatred."
only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 07:17:19 am »
Ignore

What if the a group of 50 electors for the winning candidate were murdered by terrorists a week before they cast their ballots. The result would be no electoral majority. Would the Supreme Court intervene, or would the election be sent to Congress?

The state would select new electors. It is that simple.
Only if it has a method and enough time for that...However, I can't see Congress going against the will of the people in such a case.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
jimrtex
YaBB God
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2004, 06:09:44 pm »
Ignore

Under the Constitution, the states define their method of appointing electors.   Most (all?) states have a method for filling vacancies, including electors not being able to get to the meeting location in their state.  Generally, the other electors choose replacements.  I think there were some electors in Minnesota that were not able to get to St Paul to cast their electoral vote in 2000, and they were replaced.
Nym90
nym90
Modadmin
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2004, 02:22:54 pm »
Ignore

The states would pick new electors. If all else failed, surely the Supreme Court would intervene and make sure that common sense prevailed here, and that the candidate would get all of his/her electoral votes that they were entitled to.
TexasGurl
texasgurl24
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -8.91

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2004, 02:24:50 pm »
Ignore

The states would pick new electors. If all else failed, surely the Supreme Court would intervene and make sure that common sense prevailed here, and that the candidate would get all of his/her electoral votes that they were entitled to.
ummm ya sure they would........

Nym90
nym90
Modadmin
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2004, 09:40:35 am »
Ignore

Hehe, I understand the cynicism, but I can't honestly see the Supreme Court allowing the candidate who lost the Electoral Vote to win on a technicality because some of the Electors died.
??????????
StatesRights
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2004, 09:57:57 am »
Ignore

ummm ya sure they would........

Are you the President of this new morons club?

Things that make you go hmm.
Jim Valvano
Liberty
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2004, 06:43:23 pm »
Ignore

President Nym90, Senator texasgurl24 is correct with having cynicism. I don't trust the Supreme Court anymore (not since they ruled McCain-Feingold legal). Somehow Don't believe those 9 robed justices have enough honor to let political preference be sacrificed for justice. Whichever party has a Supreme Court majority would win the election in such an electoral disaster in my opinion.

I will thank God for the day and the moment I have.
Mr. Fresh
faulfrisch
YaBB God
United States
Political Matrix
E: -0.45, S: 2.17

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2004, 12:49:26 am »
Ignore

President Nym90, Senator texasgurl24 is correct with having cynicism. I don't trust the Supreme Court anymore (not since they ruled McCain-Feingold legal). Somehow Don't believe those 9 robed justices have enough honor to let political preference be sacrificed for justice. Whichever party has a Supreme Court majority would win the election in such an electoral disaster in my opinion.

Well I agree, i'm actually not sure what ruling you're talking about, but I don't trust the Supreme Court that much either...their justice is a bit slanted imho.
Akno21
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2004, 10:51:24 pm »
Ignore

The court is currently 7-2 in the Republicans favor, although Bush v. Gore was 5-4.

cwelsch
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2004, 07:26:35 pm »
Ignore

In the event that a group of electors was murdered, the state or states that appointed them could come in for an emergency session and declare that their electoral votes go to the winning candidate.

The only state with 50 electors is California (well, 55, but maybe 5 survived) so it'd have to be a collection of several different states' electors or a coordinated effort in different locations.  Regardless, the state could just send the electoral votes to the right candidate if it didn't have any electors.

Libertarians For Life my blog

Economic Right: 9.75
Social Libertarian: -6.46
Niles Caulder
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2004, 10:28:32 pm »
Ignore

I disagree the Supreme Court would step in if a sufficient number of states simply lacked contigency plans to replace electors.  It's supposed to go to the House, and that's where it would go.  And if they valued their lives, much less their jobs, they'd be sure to overwhelmingly elect the victor decided on election night, regardless of party disparity.
Even if they didn't, someone would have to blow up the House of Representatives too before the Court would step in.

The chance to use your voice cost countless lives.  Choose your words carefully; they're weapons of war.
Platypus
hughento
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2004, 04:24:55 am »
Ignore

I would think that some of the electors from the losing candidate would cross over to give the winner 270. It would just be the right thing to do, I suppose.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout