What will be the "big" Social Issues in 2050?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:56:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What will be the "big" Social Issues in 2050?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: What will be the "big" Social Issues in 2050?  (Read 12635 times)
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 03, 2015, 09:45:00 PM »

As we are seeing the country move increasingly leftward on social matters, I do wonder what issues will replace the current crop.

My current guesses:
Animal rights (I think this one will be huge; I've heard people say to me "Check your Homo sapiens privilege" and accused me of speciesism, and that might become non-fringe in the future)
Abortion (which will always be around)
Tax-exempt status of churches
Curriculum of religious/homeschools (I could see Ken Ham-style curriculum come into fire in the future)
Polygamy?

What are your toughts?
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 09:48:31 PM »

I imagine polygamy will be a topic of active political debate by that time period.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 09:50:48 PM »

I imagine polygamy will be a topic of active political debate by that time period.

I've heard that too, but I don't even see inklings of a polygamist movement among the fringe left or in secular/libertarian circles.  It seems hard to envision that happening compared to others that I posted.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 09:52:40 PM »

I think at least another twenty-five years are needed to even attempt a guess, really. Using current trends is fruitless.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 10:08:41 PM »

I think that as religion dies out (I'm not just talking about religious conservatives in their current incarnation, but religion as an active political force in general), "social issues" will no longer be debated in terms of "religious vs. secular"  but increasingly it'll be a matter of "personal choice vs. state intervention."

Basically, whether people should be allowed to make bad decisions. Increased regulation and/or prohibition of things like smoking, hard drugs, junk food*, etc will be major "social issues" in the future.

Gun control will also still be an issue, as always.

*There's also the possibility that the government will try to go after perfectly healthy foods like delicious, fatty red meat which is widely considered unhealthy as a result of the litany of misinformation regarding nutrition. This also plays into the environmentalist narrative about how eating meat is destroying the planet.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 10:11:12 PM »

*There's also the possibility that the government will try to go after perfectly healthy foods like delicious, fatty red meat which is widely considered unhealthy as a result of the litany of misinformation regarding nutrition. This also plays into the environmentalist narrative about how eating meat is destroying the planet.

So very true.  The instant radical environmentalists go after my burger, I would be voting straight-ticket GOP for the rest of my life.  Luckily the Democrats are not beholden to the fringe wing of the party, unlike the GOP.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 10:12:40 PM »

So very true.  The instant radical environmentalists go after my burger, I would be voting straight-ticket GOP for the rest of my life.  Luckily the Democrats are not beholden to the fringe wing of the party, unlike the GOP.
Burgers aren't good for you, but it's the bun that's the problem, not the meat.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 10:17:29 PM »

I think at least another twenty-five years are needed to even attempt a guess, really. Using current trends is fruitless.
Well, 50 years ago, would they have predicted that

Gays
Abortion
Drug Legalization
Discrimination in private stores
Religion

Would be social issues?

The answer is yes.

Arguably, they had already become social issues by then, only perceptions were different.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 10:21:53 PM »

Burgers aren't good for you, but it's the bun that's the problem, not the meat.

I know that (if you see my Update posts I cover that); I was just referencing how fat is made to be the enemy when it's really not......my point was that if the Dems start advocating the  banning of foods, especially foods that have health potential (such as a bunless burger), then they'll have gone off the deep end.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 10:26:21 PM »

Ethical issues regarding genetics - legality of various medical treatments and the like.

I can also see Artificial Intelligence becoming seriously disruptive to society in social and cultural ways as much as in economic ways, and creating a need for legislation addressing that.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 10:28:05 PM »

Also, if polygamy ever becomes a major issue (which I seriously doubt it will by 2050 considering that most people, including most of its practitioners, don't really care about its legal status) it will be interesting to see how many people genuinely believe in the idea of "doesn't matter if you support it or not, it's none of your business."

A lot of SSM supporters make statements to that effect when arguing with religious conservatives, but it's easy for them to say that when they themselves see nothing wrong with SSM in any case. How would these people react if presented with a case where the legal status of a marital arrangement that they actually disagreed with was being debated?
retromike22
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2015, 12:06:20 AM »

What about equal rights for artificially intelligent robots?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2015, 12:08:21 AM »

I suspect we'll look on maligned artistic works like this one as terrifyingly prescient:

Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2015, 12:21:40 AM »

robosexuality
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2015, 12:39:35 AM »

Well, 50 years ago, would they have predicted that

Gays
Abortion
Drug Legalization
Discrimination in private stores
Religion

Would be social issues?

The answer is yes.
Few would have predicted fifty years ago in the pre-Stonewall era that gay rights would be an issue. Maybe abortion, but even there many of them probably would have predicted that fight would be over expanding access to something like what many pro-life advocates are trying to restrict access to be from what it is now.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2015, 03:52:20 AM »

Human-Xenomorph marriage.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2015, 04:13:08 AM »

Necrophilia.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2015, 04:34:50 AM »

Well I wrote a long spiel, which my browser decided to destroy ( :/ ) I'm not wring it again, but I said human cloning, designer babies, vegetarianism and meat-eating (obviously, as you can see above, even if it makes logical sense to attack meat-eating culture; it would be about as electorally popular as mandatory leprosy); automation of society and the role of salaried work; national boundaries and probably a movement to attack them as superfluous; the role of 'culture' vs human rights; the ethics of terraforming and geoenginering; the distribution of property amongst the population; life extension and existing in an increasingly aged population; the role of artificial intelligence and how fast it should be allowed to develop; gender roles; artificial life; space-junk; increasingly insidious advertising campaigns; personal privacy in an interconnected world; whether we have a right to colonise and terraform other planets; transhumanism etc.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2015, 06:05:09 AM »

Hopefully State funding of abortion will finally be allowed.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2015, 07:20:33 AM »

Going out on a limb here, I suspect a future where the division between acceptance of scientific consensus consolidates (i.e. people denying climate change will coalesce with people who wish not to vaccinate their children or fluoridate their water) while people with mutual interests, namely actively combating and adapting to the effects of climate change, are more likely to work together.  Whether people still denying climate change will still be a facet of any fossil fuel industry in 35 years is a valid question.  I do agree with OP that animal rights will continue to gain prominence, and I'm curious to see how it will play out.  In Australia, I would certainly hope to see a discussion about gambling by 2050, good God let's hope it doesn't continue for that long.  The United States needs to seriously re-evaluate its approach to voting.  I imagine privacy in an age of inevitable digital surveillance could be a relevant social issue as well.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2015, 09:09:12 AM »

Ethical issues regarding genetics - legality of various medical treatments and the like.

I can also see Artificial Intelligence becoming seriously disruptive to society in social and cultural ways as much as in economic ways, and creating a need for legislation addressing that.

This. As we progress in technological innovation, with things like these not looking too far out today, there will be serious debate on which direction our society go.

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2015, 09:29:25 AM »

Very long life expectancies, particularly if while possible, are expensive to secure, with all of the concomitant social and population pressures. These drugs being worked on to slow, stop or reverse the aging process, could be a social time bomb.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2015, 09:44:47 AM »

• Transhumanism/body modification - what is allowed and what isn't
  • What do when 3D printing leads to tens of millions of jobs no longer necessary
  • What do when life extension alllows Generation Y to remain in charge longer than generations have previously gotten to be
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2015, 12:22:39 PM »

Social issues are not a thing. Everything has economic consequences.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2015, 01:04:29 PM »

Considering that AI is still very much about databases and game trees, I don't think we'll have to worry about that too much unless there's huge advancement in computationally recreating brain functions.

Eugenics I think is the obvious one we'll see. Where its right or wrong to genetically modify people is always going to be huge, but it'll only become larger as we learn to manipulate the genome.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies