Opinion of Howard Stern
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:21:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of Howard Stern
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: FF or HP?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: Opinion of Howard Stern  (Read 3904 times)
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 04, 2015, 02:06:18 AM »

vote!
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 09:51:53 AM »

Sexist lunatic whose "cool" factor exists within a generation of sexist lunatics.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 12:34:24 PM »

Sexist lunatic whose "cool" factor exists within a generation of sexist lunatics.
L-O-FINKSING-L.

Clearly you have not listened to a single second of his show, ever. Howard Stern is the most important host in the history of radio, the only man to break the echo chamber of piss-poor "morning zoo" humor, and the only brutally honest person in the media.

Seriously, Stern is one of the biggest Freedom Fighters in America and one of our most decent citizens as well. He truly is the voice of America.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 12:36:00 PM »

L-O-FINKSING-L.

Clearly you have not listened to a single second of his show, ever. Howard Stern is the most important host in the history of radio, the only man to break the echo chamber of piss-poor "morning zoo" humor, and the only brutally honest person in the media.

I'm not going to deny his importance in radio, but just because someone has made a profound impact on a medium does not make them a good person, see: Joan Rivers (which I know we disagree about)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 12:43:14 PM »

L-O-FINKSING-L.

I'm not going to deny his importance in radio, but just because someone has made a profound impact on a medium does not make them a good person, see: Joan Rivers (which I know we disagree about)
But how is Stern a "sexist lunatic?" Believe it or not, the stereotype that Joan Rivers was a racist or that Howard Stern is obsessed with lesbians is a narrative shaped by those who want to censor in the names of preventing other people from being "offended."

Nobody has a right to be free from being offended. Stern offends me from time to time. Joan Rivers made jokes about autistic people that bothered me, seeing as my youngest brother is autistic, but at the end of the day, they try to make people laugh, which is the greatest gift a human can give another human in my opinion.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 12:46:28 PM »

But how is Stern a "sexist lunatic?" Believe it or not, the stereotype that Joan Rivers was a racist or that Howard Stern is obsessed with lesbians is a narrative shaped by those who want to censor in the names of preventing other people from being "offended."

Nobody has a right to be free from being offended. Stern offends me from time to time. Joan Rivers made jokes about autistic people that bothered me, seeing as my youngest brother is autistic, but at the end of the day, they try to make people laugh, which is the greatest gift a human can give another human in my opinion.

Every single time I have listened to his show, he HAS to mention how some female celebrity has "great tits" or something to that effect. Hasn't he had women come to his studio and get naked for money? I get where you're coming from in terms of people making other people laugh, and that's great, and sometimes he's pretty funny, but he doesn't have to do it the way he does it from time to time.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 12:49:17 PM »

I don't really listen to radio, but Howard Stern the best of that morning radio genre and it's not even close.  Most of those hosts are idiot bro-man-dudes who are completely manufactured personalities.  Howard Stern is a compelling host because he's extremely honest and personal.  I have a respect for that type of honesty, even if his humor and subject matter is a bit too pop culture-y and dumb for me.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 01:01:12 PM »
« Edited: April 04, 2015, 01:03:04 PM by ChairmanSanchez »

Every single time I have listened to his show, he HAS to mention how some female celebrity has "great tits" or something to that effect. Hasn't he had women come to his studio and get naked for money? I get where you're coming from in terms of people making other people laugh, and that's great, and sometimes he's pretty funny, but he doesn't have to do it the way he does it from time to time.
He has done all of those things. He also has had the "biggest body-smallest penis" contest, has two creepy staffers who play gay chicken. He isn't anti-woman, and in fact has been pro-gay marriage ten years before Massachusetts allowed it. I don't get how you can make a such a sweeping generalization about him.

The reason he changed the medium is because he takes everything a step too far. And sometimes that is a good thing.

Also, his co-host and closest friend is an African American woman who is just a dirty and raunchy as he is. That is worth noting. It is not Howard Stern the man as much as it is the Howard Stern show, which includes such luminaries as the lovely Robin Quivers, Richard and Sal, Ronnie the Limodriver/Bodyguard, Baba Booey, Fred Norris, and Benjy, who recently got fingered by Perez Hilton because he lost a bet.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 01:13:14 PM »

Kind of a guilty pleasure for me because he's unnecessarily provocative (that's why he's a shock jock, after all), but I still enjoy tuning in to his show.

The song parodies are great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2l3-Nb_lcw
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2015, 01:14:34 PM »

He has done all of those things. He also has had the "biggest body-smallest penis" contest, has two creepy staffers who play gay chicken. He isn't anti-woman, and in fact has been pro-gay marriage ten years before Massachusetts allowed it. I don't get how you can make a such a sweeping generalization about him.

The reason he changed the medium is because he takes everything a step too far. And sometimes that is a good thing.

Also, his co-host and closest friend is an African American woman who is just a dirty and raunchy as he is. That is worth noting. It is not Howard Stern the man as much as it is the Howard Stern show, which includes such luminaries as the lovely Robin Quivers, Richard and Sal, Ronnie the Limodriver/Bodyguard, Baba Booey, Fred Norris, and Benjy, who recently got fingered by Perez Hilton because he lost a bet.

I guess I get where you're coming from. He still seems kind of slimy and skeevy to me though. He's not the worst person on the face of the Earth, but he's still done some awful things. I do like when gets Roger Waters or George Takei to come on the show though.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2015, 01:16:54 PM »

I guess I get where you're coming from. He still seems kind of slimy and skeevy to me though. He's not the worst person on the face of the Earth, but he's still done some awful things. I do like when gets Roger Waters or George Takei to come on the show though.
I find that his slimy/skeevy persona is what makes him interesting, myself. George Takei is also a co-host on the show about once a month. I haven't heard him in quite a while, though.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2015, 12:07:40 AM »

He's very good at many of the aspects of his business (getting and keeping people listening in general, at filling time, at interacting with talent and non-talent, at getting the most money he can out of his employers).  The "shock" part is schtick and part of what gets people to listen in the first place, the other stuff keeps them there.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2015, 09:13:02 AM »

He was funny about 20 years ago. 

HP
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2015, 10:37:26 AM »

He was funny about 20 years ago. 

HP
^^^
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2015, 07:24:56 PM »

This sadly is true, as the YouTube archives prove. If only he was on Sirius in 1995 on the day Jerry Garcia died. I'm a huge Garcia fan, and he still made me laugh about the absurdities surrounding deadheads.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2015, 07:28:26 PM »

I'm convinced he and Alan Alda share a voicebox.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2015, 10:17:55 AM »

Annoying narcissist. Not even a million people listen to him anymore and he still thinks he's king of the world.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2015, 11:03:07 AM »

Every single time I have listened to his show, he HAS to mention how some female celebrity has "great tits" or something to that effect. Hasn't he had women come to his studio and get naked for money?

THE HORROR!!1!!!11
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2015, 12:46:47 AM »

One of my hero's.  The amount of BS he had to put up with by his parents and growing up would have killed a lesser person but he managed to survive and make it in an industry without a killer DJ voice but he made his own niche and legacy by being innovative and most importantly himself.  Sure he's crude and obnoxious but that's the point. It needed to be done because radio was so old and predictable and he made it hip again for his prime years. Then you had useless ripoffs like Imus, Mancow, Opie and Anthony (they had some moments with their pop culture bits but as a whole they suck,) and Bubba The Love Sponge try to be him and they never could.  He may not be as good as he used to be comedy wise but no one is after decades of sucess a lot of the time. Things change.

He is still a great interviewer. If I ever make it big I'd go to him first.

Mega FF.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies