Chicago-area accent - a relative of the Minnesota accent?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:10:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Chicago-area accent - a relative of the Minnesota accent?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Chicago-area accent - a relative of the Minnesota accent?  (Read 4994 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 04, 2015, 03:10:59 AM »

I had always thought of Chicago as being the most accent-neutral part of the country and for the most part it is. But I've heard an accent, especially from the older generation there, that, when I first heard it, sounds like a WI/MN accent. Does anyone else notice this?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 12:25:31 PM »

Chicago when I was in college most definitely had its own accent, and it did not have the Scandanavian lilt that Wisconsin and Minnesota have. Muon2 himself has some of that accent. It's related though. The north shore Chicago suburbs supposedly are where the standard American accent comes from, but the city itself is far away as it were from that north shore accent.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 12:33:06 PM »

Yes, some older people have the stereotypical "Chi-cuaww-go" accent, but it's dying off. I don't hear it much whether I'm in the suburbs, the south side, or downtown. I don't know about it being north of the city, since I don't go there much, though.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 05:46:15 PM »

Strikes me as a faster Midwestern accent with a touch of Boston.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 10:40:20 PM »

I lived in MN from when I was 10 to 21, but was born in Chicago and have lived here for most of my adult life. The accents are quite different to my ear, and didn't pick up much from MN during my years there, probably since my parents were not native to MN (Chicago and eastern IA). Chicagoland does have some speech patterns separating the north side from the south side, but neither is much like MN.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 05:41:07 PM »

I had always thought of Chicago as being the most accent-neutral part of the country and for the most part it is. But I've heard an accent, especially from the older generation there, that, when I first heard it, sounds like a WI/MN accent. Does anyone else notice this?

Is the accent in Milwaukee closer to that of Minnesota or Chicago? 
CountyTy90
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 09:16:19 PM »

I live southwest of Chicago, in LaSalle County, and I definitely think Chicagoans have an accent. And to me I do see traces of Wisconsin, not so much Minnesota. Even in places like northern LaSalle County I detect a bit of Wisconsin. The city of Mendota I say with a long "o". Some people from the area pronounce it MendOOta which sounds Wisconsin-ish to me.

Small observation, but I definately think some parts of northern Illinois do not have that neutral accent that I am positive I have. Wink

I work with a woman who grew up her whole life 5 miles away from me and she sounds like she's from northern Wisconsin.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 04:50:36 AM »

I live southwest of Chicago, in LaSalle County, and I definitely think Chicagoans have an accent. And to me I do see traces of Wisconsin, not so much Minnesota. Even in places like northern LaSalle County I detect a bit of Wisconsin. The city of Mendota I say with a long "o". Some people from the area pronounce it MendOOta which sounds Wisconsin-ish to me.

Small observation, but I definately think some parts of northern Illinois do not have that neutral accent that I am positive I have. Wink

I work with a woman who grew up her whole life 5 miles away from me and she sounds like she's from northern Wisconsin.
Isn't a neutral accent like that of Walter Cronkite or Dan Rather?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 12:48:43 PM »

Its all related.  Da bärss and daaaaa bullssssss becomes some ruddy faced blonde chick with severe features in Wisconsin (holy creeeeeeyaaaap you guys I just drank 16 apple pie shots with everclear...WisCAAAAHNsin forr ever!)

It then gets quieter, liltier, and more swallowed so it sounds like you're talking in a chant.

http://youtu.be/x-XEHwUBubk

they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 01:13:23 PM »

There is definitely a Chicago accent. The "neutral accent" is more found in central Illinois, like the area around Peoria. It's in a belt that basically runs from eastern Nebraska, starting at about Lincoln to Peoria, and kind of stops around Champaign-Urbana (which makes sense, since I imagine that all the students are mostly from the Chicago metro or outside the region). But the Chicago accent has a lot more to do with a sort of rust belt one than Minnesota.

Incidentially there's a Mendota in Minnesota, and it's pronounced with the long o. Southeastern Wisconsin accent and dialect is not at all like Minnesota's, though western Wisconsin (lik Eau Claire and La Crosse) certainly is.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 01:31:10 PM »

I am from Peoria, but I now live in Iowa City.  If I'm being honest, people from Peoria have an accent compared to Eastern Iowans.  It's extremely subtle and not anywhere near as noticeable as Chicago area people (spend a weekend out at the bars in Champaign and tell me the drunk guys and gals of the U of I do not have an extremely noticeable accent, LOL), but it's there.  I've been told I say everything "normal" except for some of my vowels (two extremes being saying the name John as either "Jawn" or "Jahn," with me being the second one).  I'd say there isn't anywhere in Illinois with ZERO accent (remember, for all intents and purposes - geographically and culturally - the very southern part of Illinois might as well be Dixie), but Central Illinois is definitely the closest.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 05:51:44 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2015, 05:54:06 PM by ilikeverin »

Chicago, like many cities around the Great Lakes, has the Northern Cities Vowel Shift.  Its spread is something like this, although I've usually seen a tendril extend to St. Louis:

Although Minnesota is starting to be affected by some of the changes that occurred in the Northern Cities Vowel Shift, it also has some differences of its own from surrounding locations, as well as some changes that are oozing in from the west.  I'd put the dividing line between the dialect that characterizes Minneapolis and the dialect that characterizes Chicago at somewhere around Eau Claire.  See also Benson, Fox, and Balkman (2011).
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 07:29:42 PM »

Chicago, like many cities around the Great Lakes, has the Northern Cities Vowel Shift.  Its spread is something like this, although I've usually seen a tendril extend to St. Louis:

Although Minnesota is starting to be affected by some of the changes that occurred in the Northern Cities Vowel Shift, it also has some differences of its own from surrounding locations, as well as some changes that are oozing in from the west.  I'd put the dividing line between the dialect that characterizes Minneapolis and the dialect that characterizes Chicago at somewhere around Eau Claire.  See also Benson, Fox, and Balkman (2011).

would you say Jim Sensenbrenner has the typical Northern Cities Vowel Shift dialect?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2015, 09:43:05 PM »

Why isn't our accent spreading? Angry its such a sexy, edgy accent (now dontcha know)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 05:10:46 PM »

All Midwestern accents are related, including the Inland North "Chicago/Wisconsin accent" that dominates where I come from (and most would say I talk with.)

I've heard about the Northern Cities Vowel Shift, but I've never noticed it wherever I live.  At least half the people around me don't speak like that at all.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 03:57:39 PM »

The Chicago accent share some similarities with the Minnesota accent. Each share certain vowel shifts, while maintaining different ones as well (the Chicago 'a' is a more drastic shift than in Minnesota).
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2015, 07:45:33 PM »

All Midwestern accents are related, including the Inland North "Chicago/Wisconsin accent" that dominates where I come from (and most would say I talk with.)

I've heard about the Northern Cities Vowel Shift, but I've never noticed it wherever I live.  At least half the people around me don't speak like that at all.

Some of that's just your own sociolinguistic norms.  A few studies have found that Michiganders have some of the highest self-opinions of their own "correctness" of just about every state in the country, despite the fact many of you vowel shift like mad.  However, you might also be in the wrong demographic group to hear a lot of these sorts of changes; it tends to be lower-middle-class young women who change the most in almost every linguistic change that has been observed.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2015, 09:32:47 PM »

The young poor girls seek change.  The old wealthy men seek to exaggerate.  Same as it ever was.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies