Qatar makes migrant workers run "megamarathon"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:01:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Qatar makes migrant workers run "megamarathon"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Qatar makes migrant workers run "megamarathon"  (Read 2444 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 04, 2015, 09:51:55 AM »

In jeans. In flip-flops. And in 90+ degree weather.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/04/02/slaves-to-run-shoeless-in-qatar.html
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 10:13:25 AM »

The gulf emirates really are the worst.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Lol
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 10:24:54 AM »

I hope Oil goes to $5/barrel
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 10:42:19 AM »

Not generally a fan of small countries being colonized, but their system is too horrible and unlikely to change, so:

Indians and Nepalis make up half the population, so India should just invade it too liberate their fellow countrymen + fellow Hindus and make it an overseas Indian state. Their oil income might as well add to development in India.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 10:44:15 AM »

I was thinking about this when... oh. Never mind.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 10:56:23 AM »

Disgusting.  The entire Arabian Peninsula is awful. 
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 11:08:19 AM »

Disgusting.  The entire Arabian Peninsula is awful.  

Oman much less so than the others, but yeah.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 11:37:13 AM »

How do liberals explain their president claiming to support women's and LGBT rights while being allied to the Gulf Arab states?
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 12:25:20 PM »

How do liberals explain their president claiming to support women's and LGBT rights while being allied to the Gulf Arab states?

They're immune to cognitive dissonance?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2015, 12:31:04 PM »

The U.S. has no choice because of all the oil they have.
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2015, 12:31:17 PM »

Not generally a fan of small countries being colonized, but their system is too horrible and unlikely to change, so:

Indians and Nepalis make up half the population, so India should just invade it too liberate their fellow countrymen + fellow Hindus and make it an overseas Indian state. Their oil income might as well add to development in India.

There's a saying in India that "half of India lies in Dubai."
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2015, 12:32:50 PM »

Or, just a thought, we could tap into our own oil reserves.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2015, 12:35:38 PM »

Not as cheap to dig up. Besides, having oil reserves domestically is a good strategic move in the off chance that overseas reserves become forcibly unavailable, so we don't want to deplete them if we don't have to. Plus, environmental concerns.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2015, 12:37:46 PM »

Not as cheap to dig up. Besides, having oil reserves domestically is a good strategic move in the off chance that overseas reserves become forcibly unavailable, so we don't want to deplete them if we don't have to. Plus, environmental concerns.
Ah. So the trees are more important than actual people. Good to know what you truly think, Beet.

politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2015, 12:48:56 PM »

Ah. So the trees are more important than actual people. Good to know what you truly think, Beet.

Envríronmental concerns affect people - even more so long run.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2015, 01:25:09 PM »

At this point it's less about oil and more about geostrategy and pivoting, whatever that really means.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2015, 01:37:28 PM »

The U.S. intervening in Libya and almost doing the same in Syria, while ignoring a brutal suppression of protests in Bahrain, even worse.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2015, 01:37:33 PM »

At this point it's less about oil and more about geostrategy and pivoting, whatever that really means.

China, Japan and Western Europe still need that oil. You could make a case that the Americans should stop securing our oil supply, but it would still be bad for the world economy if they cut us off (+ Japan and Western Europe are US allies).
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2015, 02:18:26 PM »

When deciding to support a rebellion, the US has to take into consideration both the government and the rebels. We supported the rebellion in Libya because at least some of the rebels were moderate, non-Islamists. We didn't support the rebellion in Bahrain because the rebels were almost all Shiite Islamists.

Seriously, DUH.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2015, 02:08:38 PM »

I really thought, that nothing Qatar could do could surprise me more or make me more disgusted with the country. But they succeed in taking it one step further.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2015, 02:14:56 PM »

I really thought, that nothing Qatar could do could surprise me more or make me more disgusted with the country. But they succeed in taking it one step further.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2015, 03:32:16 PM »

Most of the Gulf States were colonized by Britain in the sense that they were protectorates whose rulers had truces with Britain (which is why they were collectively referred to as the Trucial States). It arguably would have been better ITLR if the British had just eliminated the heads of the ruling tribal clans and replaced them with modern "civilized" monarchies from scratch as they did in Transjordan and Iraq.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2015, 04:43:03 PM »

Qatar is not about oil, it's about natural gas.

Bahrain wasn't about Shiahs 1st, but more likely about the fact that a big Gulf US base could have eventually fallen in the hands of some eventual Iran allies, yes. Same island, same shiahs, but no base, maybe that would have been different.

Western Europe is diverse and is not condemned to be US allies, for my sake I live in a country that proved it (which might be one of the last advantages of this country).

Pleading ecology and economy to legitimate laissez-faire and buisness as usual with Qatar over what they do to some human beings, brown ones, but still, they seem human, is, well, 'odd'.

Right after the revolution in Tunisia, I monitored a lot what happened in other Arab countries, and what I found quite interesting is that the 1 protest movement that I saw in the Gulf was migrant workers in Kuwait.

Before, still a lot of migrant workers in the Gulf were still Pakistani (apparently they have been step by step replaced by the Indian subcontinent, yes, dunno in which proportions though), but then I often thought that one of the things that could make fall those little beloved monarchies coud be all those Muslim exploited workers fighting their Muslim oppressors, on the Muslim holy land. Seizing the land then. Something like that.

This plus all the mess pretty well started with that brilliant 'Mission Accomplished', which latter took the still more brilliant turn that we all now know thanks to a 'Mission Abandoned', which I always saw as possibly contaminating the peninsula as a whole. And now you can even add what's happening in Yemen.

And then you can see how supporting brilliant regimes for 'the world economy' or whatever, such as all supported in the Gulf and arround, always lead to brilliant consequences on the longer run.

I never really believed Qatar could hold his cup by 2022 (which would reward FIFA for having...who knows why?...exceptionally given it to a country that early), and well, I tend to less and less believe in it...
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2015, 05:11:36 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2015, 05:25:42 PM by Charlotte Hebdo »

Qatar is not about oil, it's about natural gas.

Bahrain wasn't about Shiahs 1st, but more likely about the fact that a big Gulf US base could have eventually fallen in the hands of some eventual Iran allies, yes. Same island, same shiahs, but no base, maybe that would have been different.

Western Europe is diverse and is not condemned to be US allies, for my sake I live in a country that proved it (which might be one of the last advantages of this country).

Quatar is primarily about natural gas, but they do have significant oil reserves.

Saudi-Arabia and UAE did not intervene to safe a US base from the Iranians, but to 1) prevent Iranian expansion across the Gulf and 2) safe the Bahraini monarchy. A popular uprising dethroning a Gulf State monarch would have set a dangerous example. You should not understate the second motive. Regarding the first motive the base was not crucial. Bahrain is at the doorstep of Saudi-Arabia and you can drive across.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Fahd_Causeway

Most of Western Europe is still dependent on Middle Eastern oil, if we didn't have the Americans to secure these places we (and Japan and China) would have to do it ourselves. I find it unlikely China would be willing to do the dirty work, so Europe would have to get involved.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies