NE3: Native Atlasians Matter Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:47:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE3: Native Atlasians Matter Act
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NE3: Native Atlasians Matter Act  (Read 1420 times)
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 04, 2015, 07:52:01 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Debate will last for 72 hours.

Governor Sawx, you have 36 hours to advocate for the bill you have chosen to sponsor.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 10:34:20 PM »
« Edited: April 04, 2015, 11:38:00 PM by Sawx, King in the North »

Despite my sponsorship of the bill, I do not support it. Nevertheless, every bill, sponsored or not, deserves to be debated, so I'll give it a chance.

I am against this bill because it creates an unnecessary tax on alcohol - a tax that is regressive in nature due to the fact that the poor spend more percentage of their income on alcohol than the rich. The only way for this to actually be a progressive tax would be if some rich playboy wanted to re-enact that Kendrick Lamar song. We have a $15 billion budget surplus and an $11 million expense here - I think that we can do without.

I'm not entirely sure on the structure of this credit bank we're talking about, so I'd like to invite Clyde or Blair to speak more at length on it.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 01:39:19 PM »

Despite my sponsorship of the bill, I do not support it. Nevertheless, every bill, sponsored or not, deserves to be debated, so I'll give it a chance.

I am against this bill because it creates an unnecessary tax on alcohol - a tax that is regressive in nature due to the fact that the poor spend more percentage of their income on alcohol than the rich. The only way for this to actually be a progressive tax would be if some rich playboy wanted to re-enact that Kendrick Lamar song. We have a $15 billion budget surplus and an $11 million expense here - I think that we can do without.

I'm not entirely sure on the structure of this credit bank we're talking about, so I'd like to invite Clyde or Blair to speak more at length on it.
I've PMed Blair to ask him to explain his views on the bill for us.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 02:44:59 PM »

Hi all, if we have a 15 million budget surplus then eliminate the the alcohol tax. It's just I had this as a campaign promise, I think that budget matters need to be better displayed so that the Assembly knows how much it has to spend.

The main reasoning behind this bill is that Native Atlasians have pretty much been ignored for the last 100 years, whilst many other traditionally disadvantages groups have their pressure groups (NAACP, GLAAD, AIPAC) native Atlasians seem to be ignored. We need to offset this damage, and more importantly we need to act to improve the awful social and economic conditions that face native Atlasians

The credit bank would offer low interest loans to enable native American businesses to set up, and to encourage sustainable development. It would basically offer a stable and sustainable investment future, and basically act as an alternative to more aggressive credit options.

The bill is basically an attempt firstly to identify the issues that face native Atlasians, and secondly to go a small way towards fixing them
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 03:07:58 PM »

Since Blair has determined that proposed amendment friendly, I'll be amending it. Considering it's a relatively small expenditure, I'm on board.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 03:13:25 PM »

Since Blair has determined that proposed amendment friendly, I'll be amending it. Considering it's a relatively small expenditure, I'm on board.
I'll support this - it allows us the give something back to the Native Atlasians with a very small cost.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 12:34:33 PM »

Section 1
1)The Northeast government accepts shared responsibility for the historic crimes, injustices and discrimination against the Native Atlasian community.

While I fully support section 1.2, and section 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, I do have very serious concerns regarding section 1.1.

Accepting shared responsibility for historic crimes, injustices and discrimination against Native Atlasians opens the government and Atlasians open up to enormous law suits, because it would be an outright admission of the responsibility and guilt of the Northeast government.

For that reason, I cannot support this bill as it stands.  It opens up the taxpayers of the Northeast to tremendous liability, cost, and lawsuits.

This bill could still be passed by eliminating section 1.1 and would have my support.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 01:52:54 PM »

I do support the spirit of this bill, but I do wonder if it's necessary for us to do something that the federal government already did with the Civil Rights bill. (At least I think they did... If they didn't, then this bill has my support)
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 02:02:27 PM »

Time has elapsed for debate on this bill.

We will now move to a 48 hour vote.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 02:06:23 PM »

Aye.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 05:38:31 PM »

Nay
pikachu
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 09:10:00 PM »

Abstain
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 09:21:14 PM »

AYE
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 03:19:28 PM »

Nay.

With all members having voted, the time for voting has elapsed.

With 2 Ayes, 2 Nays, and One Abstention, this bill has not garnered the support of a majority of the members of the Assembly and fails.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 03:36:31 PM »

Nay.

With 2 Ayes, 2 Nays, and One Abstention, this bill has not garnered the support of a majority of the members of the Assembly and fails.

Actually, in cases of ties, they either get sent to my desk, where I can hold a referendum or ignore it. I'll be ignoring it, in this case, because I feel like this isn't an issue where a referendum is necessary.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2015, 04:04:37 PM »

Nay.

Actually, in cases of ties, they either get sent to my desk, where I can hold a referendum or ignore it. I'll be ignoring it, in this case, because I feel like this isn't an issue where a referendum is necessary.

Section 3, Subsection E of the SOAP says bills only pass if a majority of votes are Aye. If not it fails. I don't see anything about sending it to the Governor in case of a tie. I went through and cannot find an amendment changing that.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2015, 04:58:59 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2015, 05:01:40 PM by Sawx, Spider-King in the North »

Nay.

Section 3, Subsection E of the SOAP says bills only pass if a majority of votes are Aye. If not it fails. I don't see anything about sending it to the Governor in case of a tie. I went through and cannot find an amendment changing that.

The Constitution says I have the power to send it to the people. Seems to be a fairly common misconception - maybe an amendment to the SOAP could clarify it better? I'd propose it but I don't have any power to alter the SOAP.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2015, 05:24:53 PM »

Nay.

The Constitution says I have the power to send it to the people. Seems to be a fairly common misconception - maybe an amendment to the SOAP could clarify it better? I'd propose it but I don't have any power to alter the SOAP.

Huh. Good to now.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies