Kennedy v Nixon today
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:13:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Kennedy v Nixon today
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kennedy v Nixon today  (Read 1979 times)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 05, 2015, 01:24:50 PM »

In response to Carter v Ford, how would the infamous election of 1960 turn out.

Discuss with maps.

The only guesses I have for sure is that Nixon takes the South and Kennedy takes California, Oregon, Washington, Wisconsin, and Vermont.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 05:42:19 PM »

Nixon - 285
Kennedy - 253
Emperor Charles V
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -6.00

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 12:30:26 PM »

Given their policy positions and platforms they ran on in 1960, it's actually very likely that Kennedy would be a conservative Republican and Nixon a liberal Democrat today. So the election would probably look not too different from 2012 with Nixon winning the Obama states and Kennedy winning the Romney states.

Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 01:30:37 PM »

Given their policy positions and platforms they ran on in 1960, it's actually very likely that Kennedy would be a conservative Republican and Nixon a liberal Democrat today. So the election would probably look not too different from 2012 with Nixon winning the Obama states and Kennedy winning the Romney states.

Just because Kennedy gave lip service to some tax cuts and Nixon started the EPA doesn't mean they'd all of a sudden be in different parties, LOL...
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 01:33:32 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2015, 01:38:11 PM by Stone Cold Conservative »

Bro, read a history book.

Sure Kennedy might not have been a liberal hack by that days standards but the idea that he would be anywhere close to being a "conservative Republican" is one of the most hilarious things I have read on here.  Almost as hilarious as the idea that Nixon would be a "liberal Democrat".

For starters as much of a war hawk JFK was (really who the help wasn't in 1960?!) and his push for tax cuts, he also pushed quite heavily for a universal healthcare program, "similar to what they did awhile back in the UK."  Hardly something a conservative Republican would advocate for.

At the least he was a moderate liberal, which becomes extremely apparent considering his whole "New Frontier" rhetoric.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 03:02:32 PM »

Come to think of it the 2000-2004 map with all the states Gore and Kerry won given to the Dems seems about right.
TTS1996
Rookie
Australia
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 03:33:09 PM »

Sure Kennedy might not have been a liberal hack by that days standards but the idea that he would be anywhere close to being a "conservative Republican" is one of the most hilarious things I have read on here.  Almost as hilarious as the idea that Nixon would be a "liberal Democrat".

For starters as much of a war hawk JFK was (really who the help wasn't in 1960?!) and his push for tax cuts, he also pushed quite heavily for a universal healthcare program, "similar to what they did awhile back in the UK."  Hardly something a conservative Republican would advocate for.

At the least he was a moderate liberal, which becomes extremely apparent considering his whole "New Frontier" rhetoric.
As I understand it Kennedy is very liberal and Nixon a Chuck Grassley like Republican. Kennedy has no electoral base.
Well, yes, because American politics has shifted to the right in the last 55 years. More likely, Kennedy would crash and burn in the primaries for inter alia not being a fully paid up supporter of gay marriage - I mean God, the man's a Catholic - now he would have to be a New England Catholic Democrat for gay marriage, a tortuous position that's nonetheless all the rage. Nixon would be repudiated in the Republican primaries for being a RINO. That's the end of that.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 03:35:56 PM »

lol

Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 03:37:21 PM »

Sure Kennedy might not have been a liberal hack by that days standards but the idea that he would be anywhere close to being a "conservative Republican" is one of the most hilarious things I have read on here.  Almost as hilarious as the idea that Nixon would be a "liberal Democrat".

For starters as much of a war hawk JFK was (really who the help wasn't in 1960?!) and his push for tax cuts, he also pushed quite heavily for a universal healthcare program, "similar to what they did awhile back in the UK."  Hardly something a conservative Republican would advocate for.

As I understand it Kennedy is very liberal and Nixon a Chuck Grassley like Republican. Kennedy has no electoral base.
Well, yes, because American politics has shifted to the right in the last 55 years. More likely, Kennedy would crash and burn in the primaries for inter alia not being a fully paid up supporter of gay marriage - I mean God, the man's a Catholic - now he would have to be a New England Catholic Democrat for gay marriage, a tortuous position that's nonetheless all the rage. Nixon would be repudiated in the Republican primaries for being a RINO. That's the end of that.

The Kennedy family has been very pro-LGBT since the issue arose. I have no doubt Kennedy would have been so as well.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 06:04:42 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2015, 06:08:52 PM by Stone Cold Conservative »

Sure Kennedy might not have been a liberal hack by that days standards but the idea that he would be anywhere close to being a "conservative Republican" is one of the most hilarious things I have read on here.  Almost as hilarious as the idea that Nixon would be a "liberal Democrat".

For starters as much of a war hawk JFK was (really who the help wasn't in 1960?!) and his push for tax cuts, he also pushed quite heavily for a universal healthcare program, "similar to what they did awhile back in the UK."  Hardly something a conservative Republican would advocate for.

I hope you realize how stupid you sound right now.  There are many, MANY white Catholics who hold quite liberal views on abortion and gay marriage.  And not just in New England.  Yeah sure, white Catholics as a whole have trended right wing as they have become wealthier and the abortion issue was put at the forefront, but this assumption of yours is just outright ignorant of the views of many American Catholics based off of a stereotype you have seen once or twice on South Park or Maher.  It is quite easy to see how a northern Catholic, not just one from New England, could be pro-gay marriage in today's world especially if he's a Kennedy.

Related: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGCZ6RfoN9Q

I could give you a list of white Catholics who are pro-choice and pro-gay marriage, but there is a character limit to these posts.
porky88
Rookie
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 01:10:00 AM »

Don't we have to factor in the 24/7 news media? I can't imagine Nixon faring too well against today's media. Kennedy, on the other hand, I think would adapt relatively easily. He'd probably be a Bill Clinton figure, though, as I doubt his personal life would be kept in the dark.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies