Violent youth riots in Kentucky after UK loss
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:13:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Violent youth riots in Kentucky after UK loss
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Violent youth riots in Kentucky after UK loss  (Read 5367 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 05, 2015, 03:12:49 PM »

http://gawker.com/31-arrested-after-kentucky-final-four-loss-1695835505

When will White America finally do something about its propensity to violence and thuggery? Where are the parents? Why aren't they raising their children properly?
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 03:16:31 PM »

Rioting over the loss of a basketball game is more socially acceptable than rioting over systemic institutional racism.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 03:36:22 PM »

Caption contest for that picture, anyone?
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 03:43:42 PM »

Soccer (for whatever reason - nationalism, I suspect) and U.S. collegiate sports can really bring it out of people, I'll tell you.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 04:05:31 PM »

Soccer (for whatever reason - nationalism, I suspect) and U.S. collegiate sports can really bring it out of people, I'll tell you.

I don't know if you knew this but international matches are a rather secondary part of the sport.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 04:26:39 PM »

And Game 7 disappointments

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Vancouver_Stanley_Cup_riot
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 04:35:24 PM »

You'll find stupid people like this at any college.

And the commenters show ignorance about the state of Kentucky.  Especially "only 13 black people in Kentucky" is very far from the truth.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 04:37:41 PM »

Clearly yet another example, if we didn't already have enough, of thuggish, fascistic, white supremacist police letting white people get away with their misdeeds.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 05:24:36 PM »

Clearly yet another example, if we didn't already have enough, of thuggish, fascistic, white supremacist police letting white people get away with their misdeeds.

They won't be treated harshly as ethnic minorities would be if they did the same thing. Arresting means nothing if they aren't as strict with the white guys as they are with the non-white guys.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 05:46:42 PM »

Can someone explain what starting fires has to do with either winning or losing at sports? I've seen examples of both triggering fans to riot, which does not make a lot of sense, (though rioting in general tends to make little sense).
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 05:50:03 PM »

Ugh, these thugs/animals/savages all need to be deported back to their native land (Europe) before they ruin this proud country.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2015, 05:59:06 PM »

They won't be treated harshly as ethnic minorities would be if they did the same thing. Arresting means nothing if they aren't as strict with the white guys as they are with the non-white guys.

Leaving aside the fact that there seem to be a few people in that crowd who look as though they are from a minority, how do you know that they won't be treated as harshly?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2015, 06:02:48 PM »

Leaving aside the fact that there seem to be a few people in that crowd who look as though they are from a minority, how do you know that they won't be treated as harshly?

There is already plenty of research showing that non-white offenders are given harsher sentences than white offenders for the same crime. It's even the case in schools where principals might give a white student detention for disrupting class but suspend a black student for several days.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2015, 06:13:38 PM »

There is already plenty of research showing that non-white offenders are given harsher sentences than white offenders for the same crime. It's even the case in schools where principals might give a white student detention for disrupting class but suspend a black student for several days.

Sure. But, having said that, research shows broad correlations and is not predictive of every outcome related to the topic it is associated with (in this case sentencing by race)
My somewhat sarky initial comment took aim at the silly generalisations of those who claim that police forces are all thoroughly, institutionally racist. Individual incidents like these show that they are obviously not. Similarly, we cannot be sure as ti whether the law will, in this case, look more leniently on these offenders because they are white.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2015, 06:24:59 PM »

And when a popular coach turns out to be a sicko who let his buddy use his job as an assistant coach emeritus to lure in vulnerable children and rape them for over a decade. Please note that they were not rioting over the enabling and shocking lack of welfare for the children, but because said coach was fired for of it.

Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2015, 07:50:30 PM »

Classy students of Penn State.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2015, 08:45:12 PM »

Just  a bunch of rowdy sports fans. Violent is pushing it a bit.   It's not Ferguson, after all, how many people were looted? How many people said "burn the B down?" How many windows smashed? Nice try.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2015, 08:46:27 PM »

Because the NYT editorial page said!111!11!
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2015, 09:28:09 PM »

If this was one block north of where I lived it would be called Saturday night.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2015, 10:14:19 AM »

I don't know if you knew this but international matches are a rather secondary part of the sport.

Yeah, however it may be, certain sports seem to provide a dumping ground for whatever kind of territorial emotions. I was always rather more depressed after a tough lost than angry. I never was compelled to go riot, but rather mope around for a day or so. The last thing I wanted to do was trash the place.

Anyway, I'm glad this isn't normal. Most folks do win and lose healthily.

It doesn't get any worse than the Paterno scandal. He was basically a cult figure; now how much of that was his fault could be debated, but the Penn State thing was weird.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2015, 11:51:48 AM »

Just  a bunch of rowdy sports fans. Violent is pushing it a bit.   It's not Ferguson, after all, how many people were looted? How many people said "burn the B down?" How many windows smashed? Nice try.

Typical apologism for white culture
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2015, 04:46:05 PM »

Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2015, 05:47:38 PM »

They're college morons looking to get drunk and do something.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2015, 06:01:37 PM »

Does it really matter that it was just about sports? It's actually more disturbing that people would go into the street and cause chaos just because their team lost. If you have that short of a fuse, you need professional help.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2015, 10:58:58 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2015, 08:48:25 AM by Stranger in a strange land »

And when a popular coach turns out to be a sicko who let his buddy use his job as an assistant coach emeritus to lure in vulnerable children and rape them for over a decade. Please note that they were not rioting over the enabling and shocking lack of welfare for the children, but because said coach was fired for of it.

I don't go to Penn State, I have no connection to the school, and I've never even lived in Pennsylvania, but that was one of the few times in my life I've been ashamed to be an American.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies