will the Roman Catholic Church 'accept LGBT' on/before August 15, 2067?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:33:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  will the Roman Catholic Church 'accept LGBT' on/before August 15, 2067?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question:  Todd Salzman and Michael Lawler
yes, fully: ordain openly gay and transgender bishops, perform gay and transgender marriages, strike references to LGBT being an practice as sinful from the Catechism

a qualified yes: homosexual relations will be accepted by the Church in some form or fashion, but will lack the full 'privileges' offered to heterosexual partnerships

no: the Church will hold strong and make little or no alteration to its current policies on LGBT

the Roman Catholic Church will split into two or more churches over this issue

other (explain)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: will the Roman Catholic Church 'accept LGBT' on/before August 15, 2067?  (Read 6819 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 05, 2015, 10:04:22 PM »

08/15/2067 selected as it's my personal, projected natural death date (should I not intentionally commit suicide beforehand).
Small L
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 11:08:27 PM »

I doubt the Catholic Church will ever do that, so no.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 12:04:47 AM »

Option 3 most likely, some chance at Option 4, as that has happened many times throughout history.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 01:19:12 AM »

I was going to say 'define 'accept'' but I see you, or somebody you appear to be citing, already did that. The Church has no pressing incentive, from its own perspective, for option 1, especially since most people who would leave the Church over this would also leave over any of a number of other things. Option 3 is untenable in some parts of the world but completely plausible in others. Option 4 is always conceivable but this would be an unbelievably embarrassing thing to split over so I hope and pray it doesn't happen. I'm going to say option 2, but ad hoc and de facto rather than through formal alterations of doctrine--on paper, probably option 3. I could see (and hope for) some sort of official distancing from certain specific formulations in On the Pastoral Care of Homosexual Persons and other such documents, but that's about it.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 01:34:27 AM »
« Edited: April 06, 2015, 01:46:07 AM by The Mikado »

Number 2 is the most likely, though likely with the official line that celibacy is the goal in such relationships and the understanding in the First World that no one's going to take their Padre's advice seriously on it.

The Church is already moving in that direction...it will treat homosexuality like habitual gambling or alcoholism, an addiction to a morally questionable (in their view) act rather than the willful rebellion against God and Nature rhetoric conservative Protestants embrace. Just like habitual gamblers and alcoholics have a place in the Church now, so will gays.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 03:21:32 AM »

Number 2 is the most likely, though likely with the official line that celibacy is the goal in such relationships and the understanding in the First World that no one's going to take their Padre's advice seriously on it.

This is sort of what I was getting at.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 04:27:22 PM »

I doubt it. My denomination (PCA) will accept homosexual acts before the RCC does. Besides, why would they? The church outside the West is more conservative, and even in the West, liberals aren't exactly known for passing on the faith or tithing.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 04:29:15 PM »

Yes, certainly. Most Catholics already support it. Just give it time for today's young people to enter the priesthood and work their way up through the ranks.

Could be something like a blessing of same-sex unions, rather than calling it marriage explicitly, but that's just splitting hairs and would be a huge victory.

20 years ago, who would have thought lots of Christian denominations would have allowed this in 2015? Now give the Catholics more than twice as long to reach the conclusion that everyone else will reach.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 04:42:25 PM »

I doubt it. My denomination (PCA) will accept homosexual acts before the RCC does. Besides, why would they? The church outside the West is more conservative, and even in the West, liberals aren't exactly known for passing on the faith or tithing.

Not really--Latin America and the Philippines are for the most part more gay-tolerant than their non-Catholic neighbors. You're most certainly correct with regards to African Catholics, though.

As to the poll, I voted Option 2.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 04:44:02 PM »

Most Catholics already support it.

Keeping in mind that this is a top-down worldwide organization, [citation needed].
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 04:49:25 PM »

Not really--Latin America and the Philippines are for the most part more gay-tolerant than their non-Catholic neighbors. You're most certainly correct with regards to African Catholics, though.

What are Latin America's non-Catholic neighbours? America and Guyana?
Small L
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 05:12:57 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2015, 05:15:21 PM by Small L »

Yes, certainly. Most Catholics already support it. Just give it time for today's young people to enter the priesthood and work their way up through the ranks.
This is just anecdotal, but I get the impression the younger priests are more conservative than the boomers. I think it's more likely that people will stop identifying as Catholic than become priests. Being against church teaching usually isn't a positive indicator of one's desire for the priesthood.

The Church still teaches that contraceptives are sinful. I'm having trouble understanding why y'all think Catholic gay marriages are somehow inevitable.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 06:28:41 PM »

Seems like effectively no change since I offered up the gay marriage in the RCC question in October. :/
At first glance, it looks like people are somewhat hopeful, but I guess that's because of the moderate option included.

I'm still a likely foolish and idealistic YES vote because I want to believe my religion is very accepting.

I could see a case for Option 4, but I want to believe there is some sort of merging rather than further dilution due to fringe issues. Perhaps, they're not "fringe issues" to all (including myself), but just because the Church teaches something doesn't mean it gets followed (like contraception for 95+% of Americans). This is obviously different from contraception because of the visibility of it, but I don't know if it requires a split amongst Catholics. Some could surely just convert to Episcopalianism if they felt the need to resort to that - tradition and some minutia that one doesn't have to publicly acknowledge if they still like the Catholic viewpoint notwithstanding. I'm not sure there would be enough actively religious straight allies to join them in splitting off to form a strong alternative that believes in Catholic doctrine outside of LGBT issues as much as I'd like to see something like that. People will have to compromise on something and for most it will be what affects their life most - whether it be continuing tradition with ties to the Vatican (basically all straights and then some) or marrying outside the RCC if they found someone and are ready to do so.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2015, 07:03:57 PM »

Most Catholics already support it.

Keeping in mind that this is a top-down worldwide organization, [citation needed].

yeah, those ~180 million RCC Africans are likely to have a near unanimous opposition to any reform at all.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2015, 07:05:30 PM »

I wasn't citing, I was writing the poll options all by myself.  what source/author did I remind you of?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2015, 11:17:43 PM »

I was thinking that plus the Anglophone Caribbean.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2015, 08:56:24 AM »

I assume he means the Anglophone Caribbean, which to be sure is far more homophobic than Latin America these days.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2015, 11:27:44 AM »

Option 2 seems the most likely.

I can't imagine Option 1 ever happening.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2015, 12:20:46 PM »

They will move towards a kindler, gentler dehumanisation. And then just as suddenly as they started talking about homosexuals back in the 80's (thanks Josef) they will stop.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2015, 01:39:20 PM »

I wasn't citing, I was writing the poll options all by myself.  what source/author did I remind you of?

I thought you might have gotten the options from Salzman and Lawler because you name them in the title of the poll.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2015, 03:31:53 PM »

I wasn't citing, I was writing the poll options all by myself.  what source/author did I remind you of?

I thought you might have gotten the options from Salzman and Lawler because you name them in the title of the poll.

ah, that was a mistake.  it was on my clipboard, as I had just been reading their work. but I wrote the options myself.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2015, 06:10:14 PM »

/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2015, 05:32:04 PM »

Yes, just considering the ways things are going
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2015, 03:51:03 PM »

Ok I'll bite. How so?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2015, 01:00:39 AM »

The Catholics will as soon as the Assembly of God and that's never. I also see the likelihood of a split as well.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies