Ted Cruz's Super PACs Receive $31 Million in a week
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:37:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Ted Cruz's Super PACs Receive $31 Million in a week
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ted Cruz's Super PACs Receive $31 Million in a week  (Read 863 times)
Gallium
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 08, 2015, 08:06:46 AM »
« edited: April 08, 2015, 08:18:22 AM by Gallium »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-04-08/exclusive-new-ted-cruz-super-pacs-take-in-record-haul

This is ridiculous money. What the hell!
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 08:13:54 AM »

That is crazy.  Can we assume it was mostly from an eccentric billionaire democrat?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 08:40:39 AM »

That is crazy.  Can we assume it was mostly from an eccentric billionaire democrat?

Now it may be different for his PAC, but his own first week fundraising haul was $8 million, which was 95% from people under $100 dollars, so I doubt it.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 08:42:13 AM »

Adelson is technically a registered Democrat, so yeah.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 09:37:24 AM »

Now it may be different for his PAC, but his own first week fundraising haul was $8 million, which was 95% from people under $100 dollars, so I doubt it.
Were 95% of the individual donations in increments under 100 bucks, or was 95% of the money from small donations? Because those two things aren't the same.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 09:42:23 AM »

Individuals can give a maximum of $2700 to a candidate committee, but they can give an unlimited amount to a Super PAC.  Unlimited is more than $2700 last time I checked.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 09:47:07 AM »
« Edited: April 08, 2015, 09:49:29 AM by maxwell »

Individuals can give a maximum of $2700 to a candidate committee, but they can give an unlimited amount to a Super PAC.  Unlimited is more than $2700 last time I checked.

You must be a pure joy to be around.

And yes Ebsy, those two things are different, and I gave a kind of cursory read over the Ted Cruz fundraising numbers, so I'll have to check that article.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 10:03:27 AM »

And yes Ebsy, those two things are different, and I gave a kind of cursory read over the Ted Cruz fundraising numbers, so I'll have to check that article.

Super PACs are there to take in large dollar contributions.  The big candidate Super PACs in 2012 took in a lot of their money from $500k+ contributions.  Sheldon Adelson, for example, gave Romney's Super-PAC $30 million.

And, it's extremely difficult to raise $31 million will small donor contributions in one week.  I don't think the Obama or Clinton campaigns ever did that in 2008, at the height of interest and enthusiasm in the campaign.  So, I think you would agree that it's impossible that Ted Cruz's Super PAC relied on small donor contributions.  I don't mean to be discourteous, I just meant it seems pretty apparent.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 10:08:47 AM »

Super PACs are there to take in large dollar contributions.  The big candidate Super PACs in 2012 took in a lot of their money from $500k+ contributions.  Sheldon Adelson, for example, gave Romney's Super-PAC $30 million.

And, it's extremely difficult to raise $31 million will small donor contributions in one week.  I don't think the Obama or Clinton campaigns ever did that in 2008, at the height of interest and enthusiasm in the campaign.  So, I think you would agree that it's impossible that Ted Cruz's Super PAC relied on small donor contributions.  I don't mean to be discourteous, I just meant it seems pretty apparent.

I doubted it was one eccentric billionaire. I'm sure there's at least a couple.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 10:12:40 AM »

Yeah, I was kidding about that, I meant that a democrat might give Ted Cruz money because he wants Cruz to win the Republican nomination on account of his extreme views and sour disposition.  And then Hillary would beat his brains in come the general election.

I'm sure that $31 million number includes several individual contributions at or above $1 million though.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 10:13:56 AM »

Yeah, I was kidding about that, I meant that a democrat might give Ted Cruz money because he wants Cruz to win the Republican nomination on account of his extreme views and sour disposition.  And then Hillary would beat his brains in come the general election.

I'm sure that $31 million number includes several individual contributions at or above $1 million though.

Well, my post took out the Democrat part of your post Tongue
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 12:27:31 PM »

Tom Steyer strikes again!
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 03:22:10 PM »

Excellent news! Looks like Cruz made a smart decision to get in first.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 03:27:31 PM »

I think it's perhaps a little too soon to make that call.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2015, 04:02:55 PM »

Or, perhaps, it's just soon enough.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2015, 04:37:42 PM »

It seems unlikely Cruz would've raised this much in such a short time if he was say, the seventh Republican to enter the race.
Gallium
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2015, 04:46:40 PM »

Cruz generated a lot more buzz than Paul, and also reached $1 million faster than him.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies