Yale estimates concern for climate change by county
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:01:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Yale estimates concern for climate change by county
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Yale estimates concern for climate change by county  (Read 12005 times)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 07, 2015, 12:42:34 AM »

http://news.yale.edu/2015/04/06/yale-study-maps-us-climate-opinion-unprecedented-geographic-detail

Well, do you believe it? I'm quite skeptical about a number of their estimates. I highly doubt the oil-rich counties of North Dakota care much about climate change. Texas also seems way too orange.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 01:09:20 AM »

It seems to be systematically overstating support in the West and understating it in the East.  Florida south of the Panhandle also looks anomalously high.  There could be good reason for that, but in those culturally conservative SW Florida counties?
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 05:09:15 AM »

It seems to be systematically overstating support in the West and understating it in the East.  Florida south of the Panhandle also looks anomalously high.  There could be good reason for that, but in those culturally conservative SW Florida counties?

Because we'd all be affected first Tongue
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 05:17:16 PM »

Apparently in Ohio the Amish are way more concerned than any other rural residents.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 10:28:05 PM »

The Mississippi colors have no pattern whatsoever.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 08:22:09 AM »

This seems to be based on a model that looks at states then breaks it down to the county level based on socioeconomic factors instead of polling data. The result is that states will shift relative to each other so that I would not be comfortable comparing counties that border each other across a state line. For instance compare western IA to eastern NE, where I doubt Steve King's constituents are more concerned about climate change than their friends across the Missouri river.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 05:23:33 PM »

Looking at the journal article, I notice that in addition to the usual demographic and political stuff, one of the variables in their formula is something to do with driving or commuting by car. (Exactly what it is isn't completely clear; I haven't read all the supplementary files about the methodology).

I'd guess that this is behind a number of the oddities noticed in the thread: Amish, south Florida retirees, Hispanic farmworkers in Texas and the west. (And maybe North Dakota oil workers? Are there sort of company shuttles from Williston out to the work sites since the actual oilfields don't have parking lots? Not sure about this.)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 05:29:58 PM »

Minnesota follows partisan/ethnic lines.  Norwegians, Swedes, Finlanders, and Croats believe.  Germans don't.  Presumably because they're immodest, as usual.  
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 06:11:57 PM »

Wow, look at how progressive Appalachia is! LOL.

t_host1

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 11:33:31 PM »

Yale was at the epicenter of the original hoax. In time, when it becomes relevant; there is a conversation article with then researchers at Yale that were co-conspirators with AlGores’ carbon exchange.

They were assigned with the task to formulate values of consumption damages so to sell relief of conscience. They the researchers had to forfeit their commission admitting that stated causes were unmeasurable for a tradable tangible.

At a quick glance Yale is measuring the effectiveness of their premise for the last 10 years or so.

I’m in the camp that as the sun, a hydrogen star ignited, burns mass losing weight it expands in size creating more surface heat that we do/will notice. Water levels are rising because of gravities pull in the trillions of crystals entering earth. What is fascinating is that objects are attached to these crystals. Also I’m thinking the sun operates in a similar mode, drawing in its power.

The Yale, Al Gore, carbon exchange was entirely winged to the point that they fooled themselves. Some did profit from the start up. At the time of the release of the article, it was a point of a conspiracy proudly being constructed.
 The more I think about it, it would be timely to match the past Yale work to the present. As I rummage thru my stuff I’ll will have to keep an eye out for that artical, I have it somewhere.

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 11:47:39 PM »
« Edited: April 14, 2015, 11:50:29 PM by Snowguy716 »

Yale was at the epicenter of the original hoax. In time, when it becomes relevant; there is a conversation article with then researchers at Yale that were co-conspirators with AlGores’ carbon exchange.

They were assigned with the task to formulate values of consumption damages so to sell relief of conscience. They the researchers had to forfeit their commission admitting that stated causes were unmeasurable for a tradable tangible.

At a quick glance Yale is measuring the effectiveness of their premise for the last 10 years or so.

I’m in the camp that as the sun, a hydrogen star ignited, burns mass losing weight it expands in size creating more surface heat that we do/will notice. Water levels are rising because of gravities pull in the trillions of crystals entering earth. What is fascinating is that objects are attached to these crystals. Also I’m thinking the sun operates in a similar mode, drawing in its power.

The Yale, Al Gore, carbon exchange was entirely winged to the point that they fooled themselves. Some did profit from the start up. At the time of the release of the article, it was a point of a conspiracy proudly being constructed.
 The more I think about it, it would be timely to match the past Yale work to the present. As I rummage thru my stuff I’ll will have to keep an eye out for that artical, I have it somewhere.

Manmade global climate weirding at its best.

What happens if the magnetic field on earth takes a vacation or the poles reverse?  If what you're saying is true...rapid and sudden global warming?

And how does cern impact this?  Already people mumble about our magnetopause sucking in towards earth when we fire that thing up.  True or not...the magnetopause is acting erratically of late.
t_host1

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 12:37:13 AM »

Manmade global climate weirding at its best.

What happens if the magnetic field on earth takes a vacation or the poles reverse?  If what you're saying is true...rapid and sudden global warming?

And how does cern impact this?  Already people mumble about our magnetopause sucking in towards earth when we fire that thing up.  True or not...the magnetopause is acting erratically of late.
on the... rapid and sudden global warming? No, more like a many generational slow fry, then a sudden vacuum, implosion, black hole is one theory.

The magnetic field is a miracle, another gift - taking a vacation would not be good for humans; balance, brain computation.
The pole shift/reverse, it has happened before now.

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 11:52:51 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2015, 11:55:18 PM by Snowguy716 »

I think i get it.  Like popcorn! 

One question...would a trainwreck result from a reversal?
t_host1

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2015, 09:30:36 AM »
« Edited: April 18, 2015, 09:41:41 AM by t_host1 »

I think i get it.  Like popcorn!  

Yes –for the heavily tech reliant and confused. The Si-Fi thrillers of water will become a reality - water moving in the path of least resistance. Water in peace times is pleasingly stimulating, necessary and there is a lot of it.
 The questions is, will it be sudden or slow with warnings to the extent of the range to their new locations?
Seems like the pole shift would be first, almost like an arc of lightening, then the planet realigns to its new rotation, hopefully slowly. Imagine 1/3 – 1/2 of the weight of the planet on the move only having natural resistance to slow it down.  Accept where you are at present, make the most of it.
 BTW, do you have a boat?

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2015, 10:06:13 AM »

We can always rely on our Beloved Leader to ask the most thought-provoking questions!

May the jao be with you.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2015, 10:09:08 AM »

A discussion between thost and latter day Snowy is a thing of beauty.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2015, 09:48:09 PM »

I think i get it.  Like popcorn! 

Yes –for the heavily tech reliant and confused. The Si-Fi thrillers of water will become a reality - water moving in the path of least resistance. Water in peace times is pleasingly stimulating, necessary and there is a lot of it.
 The questions is, will it be sudden or slow with warnings to the extent of the range to their new locations?
Seems like the pole shift would be first, almost like an arc of lightening, then the planet realigns to its new rotation, hopefully slowly. Imagine 1/3 – 1/2 of the weight of the planet on the move only having natural resistance to slow it down.  Accept where you are at present, make the most of it.
 BTW, do you have a boat?

We have two.  Do you need one?
t_host1

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2015, 10:40:38 AM »

I think i get it.  Like popcorn! 

Seems like the pole shift would be first, almost like an arc of lightening, then the planet realigns to its new rotation, hopefully slowly. Imagine 1/3 – 1/2 of the weight of the planet on the move only having natural resistance to slow it down.  Accept where you are at present, make the most of it.
 BTW, do you have a boat?

We have two.  Do you need one?
Thanks for asking, no, I'm good to go.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2015, 12:28:00 PM »

Are we talking about magnetic pole shifts, or the poles for Earth's axis of rotation? They are not aligned with each other.
t_host1

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2015, 05:25:56 PM »

Are we talking about magnetic pole shifts, or the poles for Earth's axis of rotation? They are not aligned with each other.
It was my understanding that a pole shift would alter the axis; or is it the tide change that messes things up? it is what happened last time, wasn't it? as far as the pole and axis, one is perpendicular of the other, isn't it? hum, I guess I'll have to look at all this again. yeah, a pole shift does change the equator. I think I'm confused about this now.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2015, 08:43:02 PM »

It was my understanding that a pole shift would alter the axis; or is it the tide change that messes things up? it is what happened last time, wasn't it? as far as the pole and axis, one is perpendicular of the other, isn't it? hum, I guess I'll have to look at all this again. yeah, a pole shift does change the equator. I think I'm confused about this now.

The Earth's magnetic pole shifts every few hundred thousand years, the last major shift was 780,000 years ago. The Earth's rotation can't shift without an outside force, such as from a collision by a giant asteroid. Even then it doesn't flip but might change speed and direction.
t_host1

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2015, 09:21:56 AM »

The Earth's magnetic pole shifts every few hundred thousand years, the last major shift was 780,000 years ago. The Earth's rotation can't shift without an outside force, such as from a collision by a giant asteroid. Even then it doesn't flip but might change speed and direction.

Earths’ rotation changing from an asteroid collision would be the least negative outcome on the planet.
 Too think that a magnetic field shift on a suspended sphere of liquid and solid metals with its loose cargo of water not being affected - adversely altered, defies the excitement principles of the magnetic impulse, to push and pull.
 Now, IF, man were to affect a magnetic field pole shift, like, with the introduction of 10 million tesla’s a year being sold and used - running all over the planet – seems like that would be just as relevant of a poll question within this Yale survey.
  Just the same, I’m not removing oars from my prep’rs list of things to pick up.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2015, 08:54:12 PM »

It seems there was a misunderstanding.  A magnetic reversal would impact everything on earth that bears iron.  Your blood, the ocean, the animals, the rocks...would all have their magnetic polarity turned around.  What impact does that have?  What happens to a hard drive when you stick a magnet to it?  Is a magnetic pole shift like that?

I notice the south magnetic pole moving toward the geographic pole and slowing down as it does so.  The north magnetic pole has exponentially sped up and is screaming across the Atlantic towards Europe now from the north of Canada.  This indicates something is pulling on us from the south...underneath the planet.

It is strongest in northern hemispheric winter.  Notice the worst earthquakes have been conspicuously absent during NH summer.  But Sept-May are fair game.  Is our winter of discontent coming?

Whatever is causing this migration I just have this vision of the south pole locking in place while the north pole spins around.  This would have bad consequences for us.  One pole steady...the other spinning...half the core stationary...the top half roiling with immense magnetic and electrical force in a circle.  Now THAT would mess us up.  How might that affect our perception of time?  But its just a thought.

muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2015, 11:00:06 PM »

The ferromagnetic effects we see are not just about iron as an atom, but certain groupings of iron atoms to form metals at sufficiently low temperatures like those around us. Iron in the blood or mixed with other non-magnetic media has no special effect. Switching the Earth's field would have no discernible effect on even solid metal iron unless it was previously polarized - that's why a both sides of a magnet will stick equally well to a refrigerator door.
t_host1

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2015, 09:16:48 AM »
« Edited: April 23, 2015, 11:25:13 AM by t_host1 »

thanks Ibn Rushd,

Snowguy716, is this what you are referring to?

This only underlines that we are not in a static state of being.
Now, more wonderment, do you think that the just recent passing, a very close one, of a comet had just enough draw to have an effect such as this?

...could be the stars of the progressive left, the Obama transformation or the Clinton dynasty are out of alignment. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies