Yale estimates concern for climate change by county (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:14:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Yale estimates concern for climate change by county (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Yale estimates concern for climate change by county  (Read 12071 times)
muon2
Atlas Icon

« on: April 08, 2015, 08:22:09 AM »

This seems to be based on a model that looks at states then breaks it down to the county level based on socioeconomic factors instead of polling data. The result is that states will shift relative to each other so that I would not be comfortable comparing counties that border each other across a state line. For instance compare western IA to eastern NE, where I doubt Steve King's constituents are more concerned about climate change than their friends across the Missouri river.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 12:28:00 PM »

Are we talking about magnetic pole shifts, or the poles for Earth's axis of rotation? They are not aligned with each other.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 08:43:02 PM »

Are we talking about magnetic pole shifts, or the poles for Earth's axis of rotation? They are not aligned with each other.
It was my understanding that a pole shift would alter the axis; or is it the tide change that messes things up? it is what happened last time, wasn't it? as far as the pole and axis, one is perpendicular of the other, isn't it? hum, I guess I'll have to look at all this again. yeah, a pole shift does change the equator. I think I'm confused about this now.

The Earth's magnetic pole shifts every few hundred thousand years, the last major shift was 780,000 years ago. The Earth's rotation can't shift without an outside force, such as from a collision by a giant asteroid. Even then it doesn't flip but might change speed and direction.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 11:00:06 PM »

The ferromagnetic effects we see are not just about iron as an atom, but certain groupings of iron atoms to form metals at sufficiently low temperatures like those around us. Iron in the blood or mixed with other non-magnetic media has no special effect. Switching the Earth's field would have no discernible effect on even solid metal iron unless it was previously polarized - that's why a both sides of a magnet will stick equally well to a refrigerator door.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies