Kansas passes law banning food stamp receipients from pools, movie theaters
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:27:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Kansas passes law banning food stamp receipients from pools, movie theaters
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Kansas passes law banning food stamp receipients from pools, movie theaters  (Read 8289 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2015, 02:58:35 PM »

Well, I'm no hands-off smallgovernmentarian, but I feel that these sort of interventions are overly crude. I feel that if the state really wanted to prevent dysfunctional homes it would invest in affordable childcare, limit working hours and boost socialwork programs.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2015, 03:00:46 PM »

Well, I'm no hands-off smallgovernmentarian, but I feel that these sort of interventions are overly crude. I feel that if the state really wanted to prevent dysfunctional homes it would invest in affordable childcare, limit working hours and boost socialwork programs.

I have long been a very strong proponent of the first idea and similar pro-family measures.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2015, 08:19:37 PM »

I agree with everything in your post, King, except there's an element of moral hazard that comes in if children or other dependents are involved.

Yeah, if you are giving money to an addict or a compulsive gambler, you are contributing to a problem.  That doesn't mean "solutions" like this do any good or aren't worse than the problem.

Well, a workable system of the negative income tax, as I see it, is that in order to receive it, there has to be some employer doing this for you--similar to FICA only instead of withholding money, the employer is adding money to your check that the government reimburses to them. It's purely a supplemental income program not to replace SSI disability or TANF. So in that sense, a drug addict would not be able to receive welfare benefits if they can't at least hold a part time job to produce tax forms.

I understand concerns, but to me stopping addiction is not a supplement income problem. It's very War on Drugs to think cutting drug addicts from money stops the problem. There should be a drug rehab program in this country, but tying it to benefits won't solve anything.

I don't understand how, if negative income tax does not replace disability or TANF, it is related to receipt of welfare benefits.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2015, 08:42:10 PM »

Naso's argument:  'I'll give one nickel to a perfect virgin mother who has been knocked over by my fart...but only if I get to watch her get up and critique.  If she does anything wrong...her kid gets it.'

Gross, Mike.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2015, 11:15:12 PM »

This law has nothing to do with food stamps. Nothing.  It just so happens that it's also just a shallow sack of conservative pandering in search of an actual problem, but it would be nice if all the experts on the Atlas Forum learn the distinction between various assistance programs before they start editorializing about them.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies