Kansas passes law banning food stamp receipients from pools, movie theaters (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:30:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Kansas passes law banning food stamp receipients from pools, movie theaters (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kansas passes law banning food stamp receipients from pools, movie theaters  (Read 8376 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« on: April 09, 2015, 12:34:04 PM »

I agree with everything in your post, King, except there's an element of moral hazard that comes in if children or other dependents are involved.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 01:57:54 PM »

I agree with everything in your post, King, except there's an element of moral hazard that comes in if children or other dependents are involved.

Yeah, if you are giving money to an addict or a compulsive gambler, you are contributing to a problem.  That doesn't mean "solutions" like this do any good or aren't worse than the problem.

Yeah, I'm under no pretense that this law is in any way intended to help welfare recipients.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 02:42:38 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2015, 02:44:44 PM by Governor Simfan34 »

I think that if a parent requires the government to hold their hand and tell them they should be buying food and clothes for their kids instead of lingerie and tattoos; their is clearly some ... deeper issue at hand, that won't be solved by such top-down paternalistic solutions.

There is a shocking lack of faith in poor people's ability to look after their own children among some conservatives.

I'm not sure some good old-fashioned paternalism would be necessarily be a bad thing. Certainly, the large amount of, for lack of a better term, ill-educated and socially dysfunctional minority youth whose life prospects are bound to be almost irreparably constrained, probably indicates that the parents are at least in need of some assistance in the task of raising their children properly.

The negative income tax would do much to help but there are broader values and social forces at work, and the question of whether a social, and not just an economic, policy intervention is called for is one that I think needs asking.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 03:00:46 PM »

Well, I'm no hands-off smallgovernmentarian, but I feel that these sort of interventions are overly crude. I feel that if the state really wanted to prevent dysfunctional homes it would invest in affordable childcare, limit working hours and boost socialwork programs.

I have long been a very strong proponent of the first idea and similar pro-family measures.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies