The Office of Senator HagridOfTheDeep—RE-ELECTION CAMPAIGN KICK-OFF!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:23:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Office of Senator HagridOfTheDeep—RE-ELECTION CAMPAIGN KICK-OFF!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Office of Senator HagridOfTheDeep—RE-ELECTION CAMPAIGN KICK-OFF!  (Read 2025 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 07, 2015, 11:33:23 AM »
« edited: June 08, 2015, 07:27:50 PM by HagridOfTheDeep »

To my constituents in the South and Atlasians around the country, welcome!

The renovations are now complete and my office is officially open. Here you will find my thoughts on a slew of things from current legislation on the floor of the senate to developments on the world stage. I will also be issuing, in no particular order, updates to my schedule, endorsements, statements, updates regarding initiatives in which I’d like to participate or lead, and invitations to public forums and town halls. I hope everyone will follow along closely.

I ran for this office on the promise that I would be an active voice for the South. Things have been slow on my end, but that changes now. If you have any questions or concerns (or just want to drop in to say hello Wink) please feel free to do so. It's my goal to be an independent voice for the South. With your help, I hope to be even more—for you, for the region, for the country, and for the world (ambitious, huh? Tongue).

Cheers and Davespeed,

HagridOfTheDeep
Southern Senator

STATEMENTS from the Senator
(2015.04.07) Statement on the Anthrax Attack at the Southern Legislature
(2015.04.20) Statement on the April 2015 At-Large Senate Elections
(2015.04.27) Statement on the Usurpation of Federal Authority in Multiple States
(2015.05.17) Statement on the Assassination of President François Hollande
(2015.06.08) Re-Election Campaign Kick-Off

ENDORSEMENTS from the Senator
(2015.04.16) Flo for Governor of the South

VOTING HISTORY of the Senator
(2015.04.08) 66th Senate, Month 1: March to April
(2015.05.17) 66th Senate, Month 2: April

PUBLIC FORUMS held by the Senator
[More to come]

OTHER LINKS of Interest
[More to come]

HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 03:47:24 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2015, 08:31:55 PM by HagridOfTheDeep »

Nyman, DC—

I am deeply disturbed to hear of the unfolding situation at the Southern Legislature, but I am hopeful that the situation will be resolved quickly and that the perpetrators of this apparent anthrax attack will be swiftly brought to justice. I pray, too, that our legislators are all safe. As the place where I began my political career, the Southern Legislature has a special place in my heart; as the place where our regional democracy unfolds, I know it has a special place in your hearts too. I will be earnestly watching the situation and am confident that debate will soon resume on the number of important proposals facing our legislators.

HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 04:40:10 PM »
« Edited: April 08, 2015, 05:01:48 PM by HagridOfTheDeep »

LEGISLATIVE UPDATE and VOTING HISTORY

In the interests of maintaining transparency, I am releasing my first legislative update, as well as breakdown of my voting history so far during the last session. I have tried my best to give a summary of each bill and explain my thoughts on the proposals. Feel free to ask any questions if you have them. I plan to release similar updates on a quasi-monthly basis. Enjoy!

Passed Nominations

AL SIBBOLETH FOR ATTORNEY GENERAL (NAY)

The chief duty of the Attorney General is to defend Atlasia’s laws. Although I believed Al was competent enough to do the job effectively, his previous ties to the terrorist organization Reality or Nothing made it virtually impossible for me to support his nomination. When considered alongside his recent tendencies to troll the game, it was hard for me to trust with certainty that he would be a positive addition to the cabinet and a faithful servant of the people.

BARNES FOR SECRETARY OF INTERNAL AFFAIRS (AYE)

Barnes articulated a clear vision in his confirmation hearing for the office of Secretary of Internal Affairs, many of which echoed my own goals when I served in that same office. I supported his nomination because I believed he could effectively bring the federal and regional governments more closely together. Moreover, he had already introduced a series of ambitious programs to the queue, which demonstrated to me his commitment to make the best out of the opportunity he had been given in cabinet.

AVERROËS NIX FOR VICE PRESIDENT (AYE)

Nix offered a wealth of experience and stellar record to President bore and his team. I supported the nominee wholeheartedly; few public servants would have been a better choice to succeed Bacon King as Vice President of Atlasia.

ADAM GRIFFIN FOR REGISTRAR GENERAL (AYE)

Griffin has proven effective at tabulating statistics related to the game. Moreover, I was eager to do what I could to get him out of the senate.

TALLEYRAND FOR DEPUTY  SECRETARY OF  FEDERAL ELECTIONS (NON-VOTING)

Talleyrand served in this position before and did an exemplary job. I would have voted to confirm.

Passed Legislation

KURDISH SOLIDARITY ACT OF 2014 (NON-VOTING)

I sadly missed the vote on this legislation while on a fact-finding mission to New York City. That being said, I was prepared to offer my support to the bill and am glad it passed. Although the bill mostly lacks teeth, I believe it could promote greater stability in the region.

GLOBAL FINANCIAL TRANSACTION TAX RESOLUTION (NON-VOTING)

I also missed this vote due to my trip to New York. That being said, I would have voted against the resolution, mainly because it accomplished nothing real. I understand that this is the case for most resolutions (indeed, that why they are not “acts”), but I have never really been a supporter of idea of resolutions to begin with.

DOMESTIC SECURITY ACT OF 2014 (NAY)

The goal of this bill was to ban the use of chemical agents among our police forces that are also banned for use by the military. While, on its face, the idea seemed sensible, I pointed out that the military and police should not be falsely equated; both do very different jobs, and some of these tools may be necessary for the type of riot situations that police officers might have to deal with. I do not regret that I cast a vote against this legislation.

THE OFFICIAL CONSTITUTION ACT (ABSTAIN)

This law ensured that a new “Official Constitution” page would appear on the wiki with a regularly-updated version of the Atlasian Constitution to account for new amendments. Although I believed it was sensible to have this document in one place, I questioned whether the law was necessary (in theory, the Attorney General should be updating the “Third Constitution” page anyway). Seeing as I did not feel strongly one way or the other on this bill, I abstained.

COMBATING BOKO HARAM (AYE)

I voted to support these measures because I believed we must help the Nigerian government take action against Boko Haram. Moreover, these measures struck an appropriate balance of power between the senate and the Secretary of External Affairs, in that the senate set precise guidelines for the SoEA to follow while still maintaining some of his autonomy in how he would deal with the task at hand.

THE SET IT AND  LEAVE IT ALONE MINIMUM WAGE ACT OF 2015 (NON-VOTING)

I am disappointed to have missed this vote as well. Although I looked favourably on the idea of finally setting a minimum wage and leaving the issue behind, the inclusion of a ban on voluntary unpaid internships, for me, tanked the rest of the bill. Had I been present, I would have voted against the proposal.

HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 04:40:45 PM »
« Edited: April 08, 2015, 05:12:46 PM by HagridOfTheDeep »

Rejected Legislation

CORPORATE CHARTER RENEWAL ACT OF 2014 (NAY)

This proposed legislation was an insult to the men and women who’ve spent their lives building their own businesses from the ground up. This legislation would put up for automatic review the charters that legitimize the very existence of a given business—without reason. Basically, I saw that the sole purpose of this bill was to put business on trial and provide overzealous citizens the opportunity to politicize the existence of corporations and shut them down without cause; I could not support it and voted with the majority to table the proposal.

INTERN PROTECTION ACT (NAY)

My lack of objection to the motion to table the bill was meant to signal my rejection of its contents. The debate over unpaid internships is a controversial one, and I made my opinions known on the floor of the senate: I noted that I believe allowing for unpaid internships is a necessary evil. That being said, the senate rejected this bill because of overlap with the Set it and Leave it Alone Minimum Wage Act of 2015, which I later expressed my disapproval of too.

LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY ABOLITION ACT OF 2014 (NAY)

This bill, sponsored by Senator TNF, would eliminate the possibility of companies registering as LLCs. Because the sponsor could not articulate a clear or appropriate reason to make such a drastic change, I deemed it to be grossly unnecessary and voted accordingly.

SUNDAY REST ACT (NAY)

Unfortunately, this bill was unworkable from the start and only got more problematic as time went on. Initially, the bill was meant to give workers their Sundays off. Not only did this proposal unfairly favour religious Christians, but it was not necessary due to our already-reduced workweek in Atlasia. When the bill changed to allow workers to stay home for general “religious reasons,” it became even more difficult to support.

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 06:18:03 PM »

Griffin has proven effective at tabulating statistics related to the game. Moreover, I was eager to do what I could to get him out of the senate.

Don't you worry: I'll always be there for you. Smiley
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 07:24:55 PM »

Yes. You just can't resist my advances. Wink
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 07:39:41 PM »

Don't you worry: I'll always be there for you. Smiley

Eternity is my gig. Tongue

Yes. You just can't resist my advances. Wink

So thats what was going on on the Senate floor. For the first time I am glad I am not in the Senate, for now Tongue Explains why the nukes didn't go off when Griffin got in. You have saved Atlasia, Hagrid.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 08:39:13 PM »
« Edited: April 16, 2015, 08:48:35 PM by HagridOfTheDeep »

FLO for GOVERNOR!

Senator HagridOfTheDeep and Governor Flo campaign together before this
weekend's regional election. The race is expected to be a close one.

Tallahassee, FL—

This region has never had it easy; over my time here, we have seen our fair share of challenges, from unemployment to inactivity. Through it all, we have always managed to come out on top because of the hard work of our people and the steady guidance of dedicated public officials. Governor Flo is one of those officials.

Since taking office, the progress Flo has made is undeniable. His commitment to the region has coloured every step he’s taken as our chief executive, and I am proud to see lively debate in legislature once more. That debate is also a testament to the dedicated individuals who’ve chosen to serve the South, and my hat goes off to them. But at the centre of it all has been a governor who, above everything, cares. He is one of the most active politicians in Atlasia, yes—but more than that, he does good work.

As an educator myself, I am especially proud of the legislative efforts Governor Flo has made to train effective teachers for the South, in the South. The Neighborhood Teacher Act, passed unanimously, offers our best performing high school seniors support to continue their education so that they might one day pass on their knowledge to the next generation of Southerners. This bill happened because of Flo’s good intentions, unbridled convictions, and strong work ethic.

In other areas, too, Flo has made real, positive change for the people of the South. He has increased accountability and transparency around how the government spends your tax dollars, and he is currently committed to opening a regional health care exchange pursuant to the recently-passed federal reform. Our governor is a man of the people and his tenure has seen overwhelming support from across the spectrum.

I am here today because this man, our great Governor Flo, is running for re-election and needs your help. I enthusiastically endorse his campaign, and I hope you will too. The election kicks off in a few hours. Please give him your vote!

When it comes down to it, Flo’s record speaks for itself, and to change course now just doesn’t make sense. The Federalist establishment thinks they need this one—or perhaps even deserve it. But to you, I posit this: We have a governor who is doing all the right things; why validate the game of shadow puppets that Yankee’s playing by supporting his chosen candidate? I would like to see the Federalist Party re-surge the right way, with strong contenders and honest victories. Unfortunately, right now I see a candidate being fed lines and a sad smear campaign.

My request is simple: Keep calm and carry on. The distractions don’t matter because we have our victor. Governor Flo has proven his dedication to the South; it’s time we show our gratitude. Debate is lively, his record is good, and his vision is strong. Let’s give Flo the win.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 09:36:56 PM »

The Federalist establishment thinks they need this one—or perhaps even deserve it. But to you, I posit this: We have a governor who is doing all the right things; why validate the game of shadow puppets that Yankee’s playing by supporting his chosen candidate? I would like to see the Federalist Party re-surge the right way, with strong contenders and honest victories. Unfortunately, right now I see a candidate being fed lines and a sad smear campaign.

Yes, I recruited Deadprez both times, but look what happened the first time genius:

IDS SENATE

NCYANKEE 11 (Hagrid, Pingvin, Clarence, Scott, AndrewCT, Dereich, Supersonic, Oak Hills, PiT, Duke, NCYankee)

MAXWELL 7 (Maxwell, Small L, badgate, SjoyceFla, Sanchez, DeadPrez, Indy Texas)

EXHAUSTED 1 (Jbrase)

INVALID 1 (daveosupremo)

OMG, fact from 5,000 BC only a nut would use facts. Roll Eyes

HE voted against me for reelection. I asked if he would be interested in running, he said yes end of story. I recommended he pursue some issues, some he has, some he hasn't. I twice made a recommendation on how to respond to the debate, one he took, the other he did not. Deaprez is a lot of things, but he is definately not a puppet. I am the Federalist Party Chairman, I am going to help my guys out especailly if they are new, but I am not feeding him lines or some kind of bullsh**t that you are saying. Maybe that is how you did things but I certainly don't.

You should know me far better than to think I condone that and I am insulted that you would think otherwise, Hagrid. Nothing about this has been corrupt, there has been no attempt to smear flo as a person, and valid or invalid all the complaints from Deadprez, from Federalists were on issues or actions taken/not taken. The same cannot be said of the dirty smears launched at Deaprez and myself, the latest of which is from you attacking my character. We wanted a fun race, and Deadprez may not have the polish or experience of you or me, but he would provide some healthy competition. There was no reason why Flo couldn't have answer or rejected questions he deemed unfair and stayed on the issues about his record and certainly no call to drag out surrogates to impune our characters. Flo's record hasn't been bad, there was no need ot go that route, just defend what you did.

At least Deadprez campaigned against flo. I let a lot of sh**t slide in Februrary because frankly I didn't want to beleive that they happened and I still hoped we could come out of this friends. You talk about honest victories you didn't even state in public what you were going to do if elected save for a very vague blurb in your announcement. I do know you PMed people what you were going to do, but I never recieved a copy, and neither did most Southerners I would imagine. You don't find this the least bit problematic, even if it was all perfectly legit, to have campaigning done 100% in secret?
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 10:40:26 PM »

Thank you so much, Senator. Your support is deeply appreciated Smiley
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2015, 10:50:29 PM »

No problem. Best of luck!

And Yankee, your concerns are noted. But part of the reason why I ran against you was because it was becoming clear to almost everyone that you needed a break. I mean, no one’s saying it, but it’s the truth. You just went off on me for four paragraphs because I suggested you were propping up Deadprez. The thing is… so what? It’s politics. You gotta let them roll off your back. I realize it’s not my job to tell someone when to take a break, but if you’re elected again I hope for your own sake you’ll be a little less… intense. Everything’s okay!

Anyway, good luck to you as well.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2015, 10:58:36 PM »

What an appropriate choice of image!
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2015, 11:15:03 PM »
« Edited: April 16, 2015, 11:19:44 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

No problem. Best of luck!

And Yankee, your concerns are noted. But part of the reason why I ran against you was because it was becoming clear to almost everyone that you needed a break. I mean, no one’s saying it, but it’s the truth. You just went off on me for four paragraphs because I suggested you were propping up Deadprez. The thing is… so what? It’s politics. You gotta let them roll off your back. I realize it’s not my job to tell someone when to take a break, but if you’re elected again I hope for your own sake you’ll be a little less… intense. Everything’s okay!

Anyway, good luck to you as well.

No Hagrid, I come from a place where if you talk sh**t about someone, you better have the balls to back it up. This is just a game, I don't participate in this game because of whatever crazy notion that is been spread around the irc. I play this game because I enjoy it and for the longest time it was the only game I could play because of video card problems. I have a job, I pay 75% of all the bills in the household. We moved, we have stability. Why should I stop doing a source of enjoyment? Why should I take a break now when all I wanted to do was get back on here when I couldn't for those hellish months. I beat back poverty, I surived everything that has been thrown at me and I stay here because I want to and because I enjoy it and turning it tino al iving hell is not going to change that.

That said, as much as this is a game, some things have to be taken seriously. The way you treat others for example. I don't condone bullying and I often find myself friends with the Teddy's, with the Poirots, with the people others love to sh**t on and that is because 1) I hate going with the crowd and 2) my sense of right and wrong kicks in. I don't care what the medium is, there are certain things don't do. You don't cheat at chards, you don't throw the chess board when you are losing, why the hell should you bully, accuse someone of being corrupt when they are not and you no evidence to back it up or call them a liar or any other number of crappy things I have seen done in this game.

Maybe I am nuts for naively thinking things can be different here, but I still view it possible to have a game that is better than this, clearner than this nad a whole lot less mean than this. You can play the game, you can have fut you ought to be able to respect the people you are playing with. The ones who are playing this game too intently, are the ones who feel the need to treat someone else like dirt to win, Hagrid. Your Hamiltons, your Nappys, your Wolftentoards and now it seems several people in both Labor and TPP desire to follow in therif foot steps. "It's bulsh**t and its bad for you" as George Carlin once said. If that is the new defination of crazy, well then you better bring out the straight jacket then.

And thanks. Smiley
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 02:35:45 PM »

What makes you say that DeadPrez is merely a "puppet" and "chosen candidate" who is "fed bad lines" by Yankee"? I see a candidate who's put on an active campaign and offers the voters of the South a real choice for Governor, something this region has been sorely missing for a very long time.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 11:49:59 AM »

North Myrtle Beach, SC —

I would like to congratulate the victors of this weekend's at-large senate elections. Despite the best efforts of extremists to derail the democratic process and take the lives of Atlasians performing one of their most sacred civic duties, the will of the people—our collective national voice—can never be silenced.

What is more, the results of this election have mostly left me satisfied. I have had the pleasure of working with each of these individuals, and I am hopeful that this diverse team of senators will be able to overcome its political differences and effectively serve the people of Atlasia. Congratulations again to Senators Leif, Blair, Polnut, and Cris on winning re-election, and to former Senator North Carolina Yankee on returning to the senate once more. Best of luck in the next session.

HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2015, 03:39:22 PM »
« Edited: April 27, 2015, 03:45:51 PM by HagridOfTheDeep »

Protestors begin to gather in Nyman in support of and against
the takeovers occurring throughout the country.

Mobile, AL—

Over the weekend, a group of individuals claiming to represent a number of states in the South (including Alabama, where I’m currently staying) and elsewhere asserted what I believe is a false right to usurp all federal authority in the governance of these jurisdictions. I am struggling to find a way to properly address this situation, for the simple fact that these criminals merit zero validation. Radicalism is never the way to make change—indeed, we have seen all too often that actions like these can lead to violence and loss of life. I urge the signatories to this coup to allow the federal government to reassert control of its assets in New Hampshire, West Virginia, Oklahoma, Alabama, and Mississippi and make itself available for fair dialogue with the federal government, as any citizen is entitled to.

As the South’s representative in the senate, I recognize that it is my job to make government accessible to and representative of Southerners. While I cannot speak for other regional senators, I am open to hearing more from those individuals from Mississippi and Alabama who have signed onto this illegal action, should they agree to respect the legitimacy of our democratically-elected governments, repudiate violence, accept their guilt in the criminal actions that have thus far been taken, and turn themselves in.

While I am sympathetic with the distrust that some people in the country feel towards our centralized government in Nyman, we must respect the will of the people. What is more, I believe in our federalist system of governance; I believe that the states have some rights which this government is not currently respecting. The way to make change, however, is to rally support for the cause, win elections, and take legislative action. I cannot condone the current takeover that we are currently witnessing. Too much is on the line.

It is for that reason that I will be working with the regional governments and senate to provide a safe place for any Atlasians wishing to flee the affected states. That being said, I urge everyone to stay calm: The situation is not out of control, and order will be restored once more.

Thank you, and Dave bless.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2015, 11:56:24 AM »

Senator HagridOfTheDeep remembers French President François Hollande.

Raleigh, NC—

I would like to extend my heartfelt condolences to the people of France and the family of President François Hollande. President Hollande was a courageous voice for the progressive causes in which he so passionately believed, and France has truly lost a monumental leader. In the coming days, much will be said about the crime that has taken place and the investigation that now follows. I wish the French people success in finding justice.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2015, 11:59:51 AM »

It's a little overdue, but I will be releasing last month's voting history sometime this afternoon or tonight.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2015, 04:33:35 PM »

LEGISLATIVE UPDATE and VOTING HISTORY

I am very happy to publish my second legislative update and voting history. This update is for the last half of the 66th Senate and covers votes from the month of April. If anyone has any questions about why I voted the way I did, please don’t hesitate to ask. Cheers.

Passed Legislation

POSTAL SERVICE COMMUNITY FINANCIAL LENDING ACT OF 2015 (NAY)

I voted against this bill, which was intended to allow the postal service to provide small loans to individuals without bank access, because I believed it had the potential to fundamentally alter the role of the postal service as well as the financial sector in Atlasia. It seemed to me that we were providing an entryway for a federal takeover of the sector. Moreover, the budget for this project grew and grew to an amount that frankly made me feel uncomfortable.

AGRICULTURAL POLICY ACT OF 2015 (AYE)

I was pleased to offer my support to this bill and happy to see that the senate passed it unanimously. Although the bill started off as a tremendously unsuitable boon for organized labour, it quickly became a viable piece of legislation that would give real support to farmers and rural communities. I am happy that this support includes financial support as well as training. I am also pleased that the senate voted to include my amendment, which offers support for agritourism in rural regions.

Rejected Legislation

LOOK FOR THE UNION LABEL ACT OF 2015 (NAY)

This bill would compel companies to advertise their use of union labour on packaging. I voted against the legislation because I believed the federal government would be overstepping its bounds to dictate to companies how they must design their packaging. Although it is true that the federal government does require the publication of nutritional information, this is mostly done to quell concerns around health and safety. Forcing companies to essentially advertise their political beliefs was a big no-no.

Passed Amendments

REINTRODUCTING THE EFFICIENT REFERENDA AMENDMENT (AYE)

To me, this amendment was mostly procedural. I supported it because it made sense to ensure that the referendum process was spelled out clearly and operates in such a way as to ensure that people have the chance to vote on referenda quickly.

FAIRNESS IN CABINET OBLIGATIONS AMENDMENT (AYE)

This amendment made it possible for a Senator to also sit as the country’s Registrar General. I supported it on the grounds of fairness: We already allow senators to hold other positions, so why not allow them to serve as RG too? Although there were some concerns that the RG should be unbiased and non-partisan, ultimately I felt that a job that mostly relates to the collection of data could not easily be abused. That being said, I do not believe senators should have the power to also serve as the Secretary of Federal Elections, as in that case a senator could be administering and certifying her or his own election.

CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT (ABSTAIN)

This aptly-named amendment prevents presidents from pardoning themselves. I abstained from the vote because I did not buy the argument of the people who voted for it. These senators claimed that it would be an unfair abuse of power for presidents to give themselves a blank check. While I agree with the spirit of the argument, the fact is, the ability to pardon anyone is an exceptional power. I believe the Constitution affords the president this power because his or her actions are meant to reflect the general will of the polity. Creating a false distinction between the president’s ability to pardon his or her family members and the president’s ability to pardon him- or herself doesn’t really make sense. The pardon is the pardon—if a president doesn’t follow the law while in office, that’s the people’s problem… hopefully democracy will work better next time!

ELECTORAL REFORM AMENDMENT (AYE)

This amendment eliminates the class of At-Large Senators and instead creates a changing district system from which senators are elected. I supported the amendment for two reasons: Firstly, I believed it could shake up the game, which has lately gotten stale; secondly, I believed a change such as this one deserved to be voted on by the people.

REINTRODUCING THE 21ST AMENDMENT (ABSTAIN)

I abstained from this amendment mostly because I just didn’t really care about it. It is my understanding that the amendment removed “automatic” impeachment proceedings from affecting senators. I thought it seemed like an odd conflict of interest to support the amendment. I also thought it didn’t really make sense for it to not affect senators but still apply to other officials. Finally, I reject the idea of automatic proceedings in the first place, because nothing automatic can ever happen is this game—someone always needs to set something in motion. There have been examples of occasions where automatic proceedings should have occurred but never did. Why keep a law like that on the books?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2015, 06:56:04 PM »
« Edited: June 08, 2015, 07:02:00 PM by HagridOfTheDeep »

CAMPAIGN KICK-OFF!

Senator HagridOfTheDeep kicks off his re-election bid in Charleston.

Charleston, SC—

Good afternoon, South Carolina! I love my job, but it’s always great to be back home from Nyman—especially for an event like this. It has been such a privilege to serve as Southern senator, and I’m thrilled to start the next chapter of this journey: Today I officially kick off my campaign for re-election to the senate.

When I took on this job, I pledged to offer a much-needed moderate voice to the senate. Since then, I’ve made good on this promise and worked tirelessly to combat extremism in government. I also promised to be an active voice for the South, and I believe I’ve proven that I put people over politics and work hard in the job I do. Lastly, I vowed to be transparent. Although I regret that I haven’t had the chance to meet every voter, I hope all of you have found my legislative updates and vote breakdowns valuable. I plan to continue releasing these reports and exhibiting these qualities as senator. I hope you’ll keep me on the job!

This particular race has definitely gotten more interesting over the last 24 hours, and I’m happy to welcome PiT to the fray. That being said, right out the gate, he’s announced that he believes the South needs a more right-wing senator. Let me tell you why he’s wrong.

First, he’s wrong because, frankly, I’ve fought for quite a few conservative causes these last couple months—and won. It’s no secret that my views have migrated a little to the centre, but over my last term in the senate, I’ve almost always been the one to successfully tone down Labor’s excess:

• When Senator Blair wanted to spend billions on an AIDS package and the numbers didn’t add up, I raised attention to the issue and the numbers changed.

• When the administration wanted the Postal Service to start issuing loans, I was one of the few who tried to limit funds for the project in order to prevent what could become a federal takeover of the financial sector.

• When almost everyone in the senate decided to line police officers in front of the proverbial firing squad with the Policing the Police Act, I raised numerous concerns and believe I’m at least partially responsible for the fairer version of the bill we see today—one that strikes a delicate balance between the rights of officers and the victims of police brutality.

• When Senator TNF proposed bills to bring corporate charters up for review, I stood in firm opposition with a number of colleagues.

• When Senator TNF suggested providing federal funds for the unionization of farmers, I pushed back against the misallocation of money, created new programs that would more effectively support our farm workers, and made sure the regions had significant agency in the process.

• When the Senate considered eliminating the at-large class of senators in favour of a districts system, I supported the reform because I believe the regions deserve much more say in the how the federal government operates.

• When Senator Blair fought for a money-wasting scheme on rural transportation, I continually demonstrated its inefficiency in an effort to save money, and suggested other ideas that could better accomplish the goals of the bill.

It’s a long list, and it goes beyond what I’ve specifically mentioned. The point is, I’ve done a lot to moderate the debate in the senate—my colleagues, at least, would have a hard time believing I’m “not conservative enough.” That being said, I’ve been so successful with changing course on these radical bills because of my willingness to compromise and belief that government can help people. If I had come in as a hardened right-wing idealist or anti-government Federalist, I promise I would have gotten so much pushback that a lot of these changes wouldn’t have happened. I offered meaningful amendments to some of these bills, too; if I’d put my back up against the wall and shouted louder, my credibility would be gone and I’d be the senate’s JCL: someone with strong beliefs but no political capital to implement them.

The second reason why we don’t need a Federalist senator is because we’d potentially miss out on a lot of good programs that passed with my support. See, I’m a reasonable guy: If the senate wants to deal with campus assault, HIV/AIDS, or poverty, you can at least count on me to want to be part of the solution. I do support smart social programs, and I’m scared a Federalist senator would hear the words “social programs” and run screaming into the woods.

• I created a grant program for agritourism to support diversification on struggling family farms. It cost money, but in the long run I think it’s an investment that will pay off and revitalize our rural economies.

• I’ll take significant credit for rescuing the Affirmative Consent bill. It was sinking fast, but I decided preventing campus rapes was important enough to fight for. Without significantly watering down the key elements of the bill, I managed to hone in on what really mattered in the text and present a version that passed with unanimous support. PiT specifically mentioned his fears of wading into this territory—had he been in the senate instead of me, this victory would not have happened. And I’m pretty positive when I say that.

• I supported provisions to help combat Boko Haram in Africa. Some libertarians might say we were dictating terms to the Nigerian government, but I think it’s unconscionable to sit by and watch these criminals terrorize the region.

• I am championing a non-coercive curriculum reform plan to modernize health education in Atlasia. The plan does not force regions to comply, which is important, but does provide strong support and resources to regions that choose to sign on teach about such important things as body image, mental health, and acceptance of diverse sexual orientations and gender identities.

• I supported a reasonable funding package to combat AIDS and the stereotypes around the disease in our country.

Bottom line: I support social programs that make sense because I believe it’s important to connect people to opportunities. Expecting folks to take care of crippling, cyclical problems on their own does not make for a better Atlasia.

Finally, we don’t need a Federalist senator because I think it’s kinda nice to have someone who fights not for party, but for people. I’ll tell you now—it’s not electorally advantageous to be an Independent (but by Dave, I’ll try and make it so Tongue). I’m an Independent because I don’t want to have a hidden agenda. I don’t want to be accountable only to a partisan bloc. Since being elected, I’ve tried my best to represent the whole South, which has been a wonderful home for me over the last three years. At the same time, I’ve always been true to my own beliefs and set my ow priorities. I hope you have found it to be a refreshing change.

In the end, I’m asking once more for your vote. I am glad to have a challenger, but the truth is, he’s wrong: We don’t need a right-wing senator. I am an Independent: I fight for moderate compromise, value smart social support, and represent people over party. I think the region is better off because of it.

Thank you all, and Dave bless.

SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2015, 06:57:34 PM »

you have my vote, of course
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon