How will the right react if this happens?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:17:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  How will the right react if this happens?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: How will the right react if this happens?  (Read 1834 times)
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2015, 01:12:29 PM »

I do think the national media is too focused on Ohio and Florida. If Hillary carries Virginia it puts the GOP in an impossible spot without either WI, NH or PA.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2015, 04:34:29 PM »

I do think the national media is too focused on Ohio and Florida. If Hillary carries Virginia it puts the GOP in an impossible spot without either WI, NH or PA.

That's right, but let me add two things to that:
1.) I just love how Atlas is so focused on Virginia (not that I am excluded). In almost every "Hillary vs. GOP candidate" scenario, VA is red and IA, for that matter, is blue. And then someone posts a map in which VA denies the GOP the win. Virginia is not Solid Democratic and Iowa is not Solid Republican! Those states may be TRENDING that way, but they are far from being non-competitive. Keep in mind that Mark Warner did not win because NoVA swung towards the Dems but because he outperformed Obama in the Republican areas and in a few Democratic "white" cities. Blacks made up 19% (!) of the VA electorate in 2014, in 2012 they made up 20% - almost identical! And yet Warner still almost lost. Virginia is still a competitive state, even though many here are acting as if it's set to become the next Maryland.
2.) I have said for a long time now that the GOP needs to make a real play for Pennsylvania (not just a last-week effort like what Romney did). PA was more Republican than NH, WI and NV and almost as Democratic as CO in 2012. No Republican candidate (except Kasich, maybe) is currently able to pick up all VA, FL and OH: Walker is weak in all three states, Bush is weak in OH, Cruz is weak in ......, Paul is weak in FL (though he will probably improve as soon as the GE campaign begins), Rubio is weak in VA (and probably OH as well). If the GOP finally was able to pick up PA, that would solve the problem.

Actually, even if Warner performed at Obama levels in Appalachia, he still would've won by an extremely thin margin. NoVa saved his ass despite the fact that he ignored it the entire campaign. Though I do agree with you that the "VA = solid D!" narrative is overblown.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2015, 07:00:55 PM »

The question is "How would the Right react if...." I'd say for the most part, disappointed but resigned to the reality of President Hillary Clinton. Congress (assuming it stays GOP in '16, which it will) would give her a hard time, though, legislatively speaking.

The map you show is actually quite likely. So is a similar map with the Dems holding IA. I believe it quite likely that Clinton will lose the PV and win the election. The reverse I see as less likely.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2015, 07:03:05 PM »

The same, whiny, moronic way Democrats reacted to 2000, except the conservative version.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2015, 07:17:55 PM »

They'd spend 15 years whining about how the election was stolen from them.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2015, 07:22:10 PM »

Yeah, pretty much what the Democrats have been doing since 2000. Honestly the more elections like that we have the more people will realize that the electoral college is an undemocratic outdated system that needs replacing, but our politicians won't.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2015, 08:00:12 PM »

Yeah, pretty much what the Democrats have been doing since 2000. Honestly the more elections like that we have the more people will realize that the electoral college is an undemocratic outdated system that needs replacing, but our politicians won't.

The fact that Bush lost the popular vote is not why the 2000 election was stolen.
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2015, 08:01:22 PM »

The Republicans would complain that the election was stolen from them. They would be correct. Hillary would get an undeserved victory. The winner of the popular vote deserves the presidency, period. Doesn't matter if it's a Democrat or Republican who gets screwed over. Democrats have been burned by the electoral college before (see: my signature), it should be abolished. The electoral college came to be through a compromise between people who wanted the Congress to elect the president, and people who wanted the citizenry to elect the president. Obviously nobody holds the first position anymore. Republicans would be rightfully upset, and would probably want the GOP-controlled Congress to impeach Hillary. That would be interesting. But they wouldn't be whiny, they would be justified. Just like Democrats are for using 2000 as an example of why the EC should be abolished.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies