Opinion of Abstraction
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:04:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of Abstraction
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: .
Freedom Thought Process

Horrible Thought Process

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 11

Author Topic: Opinion of Abstraction  (Read 5161 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 07, 2015, 12:14:30 PM »

Related to a recent discussion on IRC. And yes, I realize this is a very abstract question. Tongue

Obviously freedom thought process. Probably one of the characteristics that defines humanity the most. Enemies of abstraction often are enemies of thought itself.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 12:36:24 PM »

It's foolhardy to disapprove of abstraction per se, but the elevation of abstraction over its opposite is life-denying. 
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 01:16:59 PM »

What, like Paul Klee and that?
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 01:38:17 PM »

What the Hell?!?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 01:40:26 PM »

Abstraction in art is of course also relevant to the topic, though, as the poll options indicate, I was mostly referring to abstraction as a thought process.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 06:12:40 PM »

In what sense exactly?
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 06:33:14 PM »

Abstraction is great in science and philosophy, but I really, really dislike modern art.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 07:17:35 PM »

I think Antonio is reacting to my preference of actual humans over "Humanity" and my lack of concern for "posterity," a group of non-persons that manifestly does not exist by definition.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 07:19:22 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2015, 07:22:42 PM by traininthedistance »

I think Antonio is reacting to my preference of actual humans over "Humanity" and my lack of concern for "posterity," a group of non-persons that manifestly does not exist by definition.

Correction: preference for some certain humans over other humans, with a side helping of epistemic nihilism.

BTW, the last person I saw on this forum with such a dismissive attitude towards the future repercussions of present actions was opebo.  How does that make you feel?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 07:22:25 PM »

Correction: preference for some certain humans over other humans, with a side helping of epistemic nihilism.

I fail to see the problem here.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 07:33:59 PM »

Get thee behind me, opebo.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 08:23:26 PM »

Well, without abstraction, human beings couldn't talk.  So, for better or worse, I guess I have to say I'm in favor of abstraction.  It can, of course, be taken to absurd degrees, like every other human behavior.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 09:20:40 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2015, 09:27:55 PM by traininthedistance »

Okay, let me rephrase it:

For the first part... if you're okay with taking the sort of stance you do in the full knowledge that it is privileging only a subset of people, and is denigrating/erasing others, then own that.  Be honest with yourself.  Say, "okay, I'm fine with throwing young people and immigrants and nonconformists and people who for various reasons are systematically denied visibility and voice in our society under the bus!  I'm a reactionary!  I stand up for the entrenched and the privileged."  But don't be a hypocrite.  Don't try and claim the high ground.

For the second part... you can say that you don't care about "posterity" or "future generations", but at some point (protip: we're already at that point) these repercussions are likely to happen within the lifetime of people who are already alive.  Some of them could very well happen while we are alive!  At that point, if you still say that you don't care, then you're not just pooh-poohing "nonpersons", you're pooh-poohing stuff like causality and evidence.  And, well, if you're doing that, then once again I have to ask how you're able to function in the real world.  
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 03:57:04 AM »

Mikado, tell me, if you somehow knew for sure that the plot of I Have no Mouth and I Must Scream would become reality a couple centuries from now, would you be able to sleep just fine? I'm genuinely wondering.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2015, 09:35:01 AM »

I approve of Mathematics.

That is all.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2015, 04:21:25 PM »

This is really really weird.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2015, 08:44:06 PM »

I am abstraction.  Because I don't want to talk about the mustard stain on your favorite Latin American leader's lapel.  Time for abstraction.  Let's talk about how Cincinattus is a spider instead!  At least that's interesting.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2015, 12:49:11 PM »

Mikado, tell me, if you somehow knew for sure that the plot of I Have no Mouth and I Must Scream would become reality a couple centuries from now, would you be able to sleep just fine? I'm genuinely wondering.

I think I would. Why wouldn't I? I wouldn't be responsible for AM, I have no idea what sequence of events would bring AM to power, and I certainly would never see AM in power.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2015, 01:16:45 PM »

I think I would. Why wouldn't I? I wouldn't be responsible for AM, I have no idea what sequence of events would bring AM to power, and I certainly would never see AM in power.

Fair enough, I just wanted to measure how chillingly alien your morality actually is. Most human beings feel a some kind of empathetic connection (even if very tenuous) with all fellow human beings - present, past and future alike.
twistory123
Rookie
Peru

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2015, 12:23:46 AM »

... I think that opinions such as a people must be free and should not reduce in any way, to live the freedom of opinion
AutumnLeaf
Rookie
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2015, 08:50:03 PM »

the freedom of opinion should be control for a quality entity, because the opportunism of some mass media take that law like a pass to publish trash-information in a free way.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies