Man captures SC police officer shoot man in back, plant tazer gun
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:37:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Man captures SC police officer shoot man in back, plant tazer gun
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Man captures SC police officer shoot man in back, plant tazer gun  (Read 9239 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 07, 2015, 07:01:58 PM »
« edited: April 07, 2015, 08:59:15 PM by True Federalist »

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/08/us/south-carolina-officer-is-charged-with-murder-in-black-mans-death.html?_r=0

I'll be interested in reading some people's analyses of this one.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 07:32:00 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2015, 08:59:30 PM by True Federalist »

The video is absolutely horrifying though. Christ. The way he handcuffs the guy as he's laying there dead/dying.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 07:42:02 PM »

I'm sure we'll see some interesting posts that justify shooting a person in the back.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 07:52:13 PM »

Love how the cop picked up the taser from where the scuffle happened and moved it to where he gunned the guy down.  Will they charge him with evidence tampering too?

I'm sure without video this would be just another 'justified' shooting.   Will be interesting to see if this guy gets money donated to his defense like past white officers
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 07:53:11 PM »

That video is.... extremely unambiguous.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 08:09:50 PM »

On a slightly unrelated note, thank god the guy who filmed the video turned his phone sideways.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 08:49:51 PM »

Average policeman.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 09:01:36 PM »

Try to keep topics here about the topic at hand rather than other posters.  Please wait until they actually make loathsome posts before subjecting them to justified ridicule.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 09:37:52 PM »

AggregateDemand managed to put just about every abhorrent ideology into a single post before either he or one of the mods deleted it. Congrats to him.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 09:40:44 PM »

AggregateDemand managed to put just about every abhorrent ideology into a single post before either he or one of the mods deleted it. Congrats to him.

Sheesh, now I'm curious as to what he said, if it was too awful for Atlas (not that Atlas isn't a good place, just that it allows some pretty questionable posts).
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 09:50:07 PM »

Sheesh, now I'm curious as to what he said, if it was too awful for Atlas (not that Atlas isn't a good place, just that it allows some pretty questionable posts).

Sometimes curiosity is better left unsatisfied.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 09:53:42 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2015, 11:42:27 PM by AggregateDemand »

I can't believe that was edited.

He was allegedly struggling for his life because he presumed imminent jail time due to back child support. Did no one read the article?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 10:24:41 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2015, 10:26:29 PM by True Federalist »

He was allegedly struggling for his life because he presumed imminent jail time due to back child support. Did no one read the article?

What a disgrace.

I can't believe you're trying to deflect the subject away from executing a fleeing unarmed person and then planting evidence in an attempt to justify the crime.  Regardless of the reason the victim chose to flee, the ex-police office has no excuse for the crime he committed.  Based on that video, then unless the coroner rules the victim was already dead, I hope he gets the death penalty.  His failure to offer any medical assistance is clear and convincing evidence to me of a depraved indifference to the value of human life.

Your attempt to blame the victim was quite a disgrace.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 10:51:36 PM »

An excellent summary of your input.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 11:10:17 PM »

What a disgrace.
'
That doesn't justify shooting him in the back. If you shoot someone in the back and they are running away, unarmed, you are a murderer. There is no excuse for this.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2015, 11:12:29 PM »

What a disgrace.
'
That doesn't justify shooting him in the back. If you shoot someone in the back and they are running away, unarmed, you are a murderer. There is no excuse for this.

Well he was black and driving a Mercedes with a busted taillight. So there is that.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2015, 11:13:39 PM »

I can't believe you're trying to deflect the subject away from executing a fleeing unarmed person and then planting evidence in an attempt to justify the crime.  Regardless of the reason the victim chose to flee, the ex-police office has no excuse for the crime he committed.  Based on that video, then unless the coroner rules the victim was already dead, I hope he gets the death penalty.  His failure to offer any medical assistance is clear and convincing evidence to me of a depraved indifference to the value of human life.

I said Mr. Scott was abused by an unjust system and killed when he fought against it. I lamented the ease with which society will blame the cop and ignore their own culpability. Read my posts and the articles associated with them.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2015, 02:08:02 AM »

I'm shocked and not at all surprised.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2015, 03:41:28 AM »

Cops are bastards. There is now sufficient evidence to demonstrate that.

Hopefully this one will at least be made to answer for his crimes.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2015, 06:41:58 AM »

Is there an epidemic of police brutality or we are just seeing it now because i-phones and other related gadgets have become ubiquitous?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2015, 06:42:56 AM »

Is there an epidemic of police brutality or we are just seeing it now because i-phones and other related gadgets have become ubiquitous?

The latter seems far more likely.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2015, 07:05:47 AM »

Both
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2015, 08:39:16 AM »

Both. I heard an NPR interview with a police psychologist many months ago who said police officers today, even those he's worked with in small towns and suburbs with very little crime, are far more fearful of getting killed on the job than they were when he first started.

The media/TV influence that has gotten citizens to lock their doors and worry about violent crime has also made police citizens more paranoid about violent crime. Fear creates these corrupt acts of aggression.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2015, 09:01:29 AM »
« Edited: April 08, 2015, 09:16:19 AM by Snowguy716 »

I said Mr. Scott was abused by an unjust system and killed when he fought against it. I lamented the ease with which society will blame the cop and ignore their own culpability. Read my posts and the articles associated with them.
If this is what you said, that is true.  You have a way with words however and no doubt it came out sideways and smelling like steaming broccoli.  

But this one is a 'lynchpin' as it were.  There is no excuse making this time.  Time for some police union busting and serious serious budget cuts to law enforcement.  Like 50% off the top and the officers have tO borrow the bullets at a value of $50,000 apiece.  A little less than the median income.  The officer who uses a bullet justifiably sees a $49,000 reduction but still pays $1000.  The police dept still pays $50,000 for a new bullet.  Unjustifiably (even accidental) means $50,000 is deducted from his pay for the year.  This may put newer cops in absolute negative territory.  But the police dept then must borrow a new bullet for $50,000 as well in addition to the $50,000 the cop is paying.

Cop cars would be governed at 5mph over the speed limit.  If they drive faster, the car engine dies and cannot be turned back on for a week.  Tow truck companies would be instructed to move the car out of traffic and secure it in place.  $50,000 gets the car moved out of the elements.  The value of car repairs will be paid for by the dept and an amount 7 times the cost of repair deducted from the following year's budget.  Armed police would not be allowed within 25 feet of a courthouse.

Any police officer would be required to register in his community for life and would have to register all firearms with the court at an annual cost of $50,000/gun.  These being personal weapons, of course.  Weapon owning cops could not live within 2000 feet of any community housing minorities or vulnerable people.  This might make a cop compound necessary.  We will surveil the compound with utmost care and report any off key snoring to the media.

Fire trucks and emt cars would have no such limit and could carry tazers.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2015, 09:09:13 AM »

Those are all bad ideas.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies