Man captures SC police officer shoot man in back, plant tazer gun
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:33:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Man captures SC police officer shoot man in back, plant tazer gun
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Man captures SC police officer shoot man in back, plant tazer gun  (Read 9238 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2015, 09:12:04 AM »

This cop needs to visit ole sparky.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2015, 09:23:29 AM »

Of course they're bad ideas, ebsy.  But what can we do otherwise?  Have more 'conversations' (cymbals) and 'dialogues' (gongs)?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2015, 09:41:33 AM »

Executing the cop would might feel good, but if Better Call Saul has taught us anything it is that jail for a cop would be pure torture. Any cop in their right mind would rather get executed then spend any significant length of time behind bars.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2015, 09:43:33 AM »

One of the most disturbing and egregious things I've seen, and I thought we were reaching the limit with illegal strip searches and the cops getting people down and beating them up. It's not possible to defend what this thug cop did in this instance.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2015, 11:15:30 AM »

We need a stickied thread for bad cop shootings and general abuse.  Naso would be the only one opposed to it.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2015, 11:59:36 AM »

I'm sure we'll see some interesting posts that justify shooting a person in the back.

The right will put the cop on the same pedestal as Zimmerman and Wilson: he killed a black guy, so he's a hero.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2015, 12:21:28 PM »

There was a fundraising site up for this policeman on fundrazr.com for one hour.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2015, 12:51:18 PM »

i have a question about American police. At what level of training do they have to be before they're allowed to carry a gun? Because it seems odd that a traffic cop would be carrying such an intense weapon.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2015, 01:26:39 PM »
« Edited: April 08, 2015, 01:34:04 PM by AggregateDemand »

If this is what you said, that is true.  You have a way with words however and no doubt it came out sideways and smelling like steaming broccoli.  

My posts are hyperbolic and condescending. Neither characteristic should impair the accuracy of inferences drawn about who is culpable.

The post was deleted because most people didn't read the article, and they didn't know that back child support and the welfare complex were important aspects of the tragedy. After the fact, their libelous posts are still in plain sight, which tells you everything.

Furthermore, I feel that both the deceased and the policeman are victims. The deceased was abused by an unjust system and killed by an law enforcement agent. The police officer was taught to use lethal force for community safety, only to discover that the government had identified a non-violent citizen with an outstanding child support balance as a menace to society, which caused the unprovoked attack on the policeman.

The entire situation is completely unacceptable, yet the people who caused the mess will not be on trial. They will be sitting on the bench or going for a swim on a lazy summer day. I am Jack's complete lack of amusement.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2015, 01:39:37 PM »

Is there an epidemic of police brutality or we are just seeing it now because i-phones and other related gadgets have become ubiquitous?

Both. I heard an NPR interview with a police psychologist many months ago who said police officers today, even those he's worked with in small towns and suburbs with very little crime, are far more fearful of getting killed on the job than they were when he first started.

The media/TV influence that has gotten citizens to lock their doors and worry about violent crime has also made police citizens more paranoid about violent crime. Fear creates these corrupt acts of aggression.

If cops are terrified now that crime is in record lows then I don't want to think how they felt and acted during the 70's and 80's.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2015, 02:00:29 PM »

I can imagine television has no helped with the culture of fear among cops and getting shot. Shootouts on tv shows are almost expected every episode when in reality many cops go their entire careers without discharging their weapons.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2015, 02:09:41 PM »

Executing the cop would might feel good, but if Better Call Saul has taught us anything it is that jail for a cop would be pure torture. Any cop in their right mind would rather get executed then spend any significant length of time behind bars.
The way the death penalty in this country "works" he'd be spending a significant length of time behind bars.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2015, 02:10:54 PM »

There was a fundraising site up for this policeman on fundrazr.com for one hour.
Before or after the video was released?  I can easily believe the former, but afterward only a troll would do something like that.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2015, 02:18:48 PM »

I can imagine television has no helped with the culture of fear among cops and getting shot. Shootouts on tv shows are almost expected every episode when in reality many cops go their entire careers without discharging their weapons.

Well we see almost as much American TV as Americans do, and we don't have a epidemy of police violence, and before you ask; yes our cops are armed too. I would say that police violence are more likely a result of several factors; fear of a more heavily armed citizenship, income inequality, parallel societies and the relative low prestige of being a cop in USA especially among some groups.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2015, 02:22:53 PM »

If this is what you said, that is true.  You have a way with words however and no doubt it came out sideways and smelling like steaming broccoli.  

The post was deleted because most people didn't read the article,

which caused the unprovoked attack on the policeman.

I have a better explanation. Most people here, having read the article, unlike you, understood what they read.

"Unprovoked attack on the policman," my ass.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2015, 02:48:17 PM »

i have a question about American police. At what level of training do they have to be before they're allowed to carry a gun? Because it seems odd that a traffic cop would be carrying such an intense weapon.

Anyone working on the streets is going to be carrying a gun. Standard issue is a 9mm Beretta in the holster and a 12-gauge shotgun in the car.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2015, 03:11:24 PM »

There are some hardcore conservatives that even after watching the video think the shooting was justified under the pretext that he was a suspected criminal fleeing the scene, which is of course both ludicrous and legal nonsense. Of course, this is a very small minority of conservatives and most are pretty much as disgusted as the rest of the sane population.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2015, 03:24:21 PM »

There are some hardcore conservatives that even after watching the video think the shooting was justified under the pretext that he was a suspected criminal fleeing the scene, which is of course both ludicrous and legal nonsense. Of course, this is a very small minority of conservatives and most are pretty much as disgusted as the rest of the sane population.

Scott believed he was a criminal, allegedly. The criminal justice system and society ordained this senseless tragedy long before they flip-flopped and tried to pin it on a bad cop.

Virtually no one believes this man was a dangerous criminal in need of jail time. The government disagreed. Who is the problem? The fate of the cop will be decided by the jury. The court of public opinion should be addressing more substantial issues.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2015, 04:20:14 PM »

Until some other blue posters beside AD the Rambling Hack support this shooting, let's keep from saying  "some hardcore consrvatives". You really need to be either a full blown racist or a lunatic to say the video in the link is okay or that the cop doesn't deserve to be punished.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2015, 05:13:45 PM »

I can't believe you're trying to deflect the subject away from executing a fleeing unarmed person and then planting evidence in an attempt to justify the crime.  Regardless of the reason the victim chose to flee, the ex-police office has no excuse for the crime he committed.  Based on that video, then unless the coroner rules the victim was already dead, I hope he gets the death penalty.  His failure to offer any medical assistance is clear and convincing evidence to me of a depraved indifference to the value of human life.

Your attempt to blame the victim was quite a disgrace.

I said Mr. Scott was abused by an unjust system and killed when he fought against it. I lamented the ease with which society will blame the cop and ignore their own culpability. Read my posts and the articles associated with them.
If this is what you said, that is true.  You have a way with words however and no doubt it came out sideways and smelling like steaming broccoli. 

But this one is a 'lynchpin' as it were.  There is no excuse making this time.  Time for some police union busting and serious serious budget cuts to law enforcement.  Like 50% off the top and the officers have tO borrow the bullets at a value of $50,000 apiece.  A little less than the median income.  The officer who uses a bullet justifiably sees a $49,000 reduction but still pays $1000.  The police dept still pays $50,000 for a new bullet.  Unjustifiably (even accidental) means $50,000 is deducted from his pay for the year.  This may put newer cops in absolute negative territory.  But the police dept then must borrow a new bullet for $50,000 as well in addition to the $50,000 the cop is paying.

Cop cars would be governed at 5mph over the speed limit.  If they drive faster, the car engine dies and cannot be turned back on for a week.  Tow truck companies would be instructed to move the car out of traffic and secure it in place.  $50,000 gets the car moved out of the elements.  The value of car repairs will be paid for by the dept and an amount 7 times the cost of repair deducted from the following year's budget.  Armed police would not be allowed within 25 feet of a courthouse.

Any police officer would be required to register in his community for life and would have to register all firearms with the court at an annual cost of $50,000/gun.  These being personal weapons, of course.  Weapon owning cops could not live within 2000 feet of any community housing minorities or vulnerable people.  This might make a cop compound necessary.  We will surveil the compound with utmost care and report any off key snoring to the media.

Fire trucks and emt cars would have no such limit and could carry tazers.

What in the actual Christ?

In any case, what arm of law enforcement would you use to ensure that these cops follow these ridiculous rules? What if a cop got unruly while being detained due to refusal to comply? Would any other police officer who, say, had to use his weapon to restrain the detainee be fined the $50,000? Moreover, how would that not bring applications for law enforcement departments down to zero? Jesus F#ck, my God this is the worst.
Tear it down and rebuild while keeping a minimal force in place.  And make using bullets as much an entrance to permanent debt slavery as a mortgage or student loan.  Make law enforcement as hard and complicated as the laws they use to shoot people for running away from.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2015, 05:41:20 PM »

No Naso yet? Oh well.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2015, 05:52:09 PM »

I can't believe you're trying to deflect the subject away from executing a fleeing unarmed person and then planting evidence in an attempt to justify the crime.  Regardless of the reason the victim chose to flee, the ex-police office has no excuse for the crime he committed.  Based on that video, then unless the coroner rules the victim was already dead, I hope he gets the death penalty.  His failure to offer any medical assistance is clear and convincing evidence to me of a depraved indifference to the value of human life.

I said Mr. Scott was abused by an unjust system and killed when he fought against it. I lamented the ease with which society will blame the cop and ignore their own culpability. Read my posts and the articles associated with them.

But this one is a 'lynchpin' as it were.  There is no excuse making this time.  Time for some police union busting and serious serious budget cuts to law enforcement.  Like 50% off the top and the officers have tO borrow the bullets at a value of $50,000 apiece.  A little less than the median income.  The officer who uses a bullet justifiably sees a $49,000 reduction but still pays $1000.  The police dept still pays $50,000 for a new bullet.  Unjustifiably (even accidental) means $50,000 is deducted from his pay for the year.  This may put newer cops in absolute negative territory.  But the police dept then must borrow a new bullet for $50,000 as well in addition to the $50,000 the cop is paying.

Cop cars would be governed at 5mph over the speed limit.  If they drive faster, the car engine dies and cannot be turned back on for a week.  Tow truck companies would be instructed to move the car out of traffic and secure it in place.  $50,000 gets the car moved out of the elements.  The value of car repairs will be paid for by the dept and an amount 7 times the cost of repair deducted from the following year's budget.  Armed police would not be allowed within 25 feet of a courthouse.

Any police officer would be required to register in his community for life and would have to register all firearms with the court at an annual cost of $50,000/gun.  These being personal weapons, of course.  Weapon owning cops could not live within 2000 feet of any community housing minorities or vulnerable people.  This might make a cop compound necessary.  We will surveil the compound with utmost care and report any off key snoring to the media.

This may well be the worst post of the year.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2015, 06:21:57 PM »

I can't believe you're trying to deflect the subject away from executing a fleeing unarmed person and then planting evidence in an attempt to justify the crime.  Regardless of the reason the victim chose to flee, the ex-police office has no excuse for the crime he committed.  Based on that video, then unless the coroner rules the victim was already dead, I hope he gets the death penalty.  His failure to offer any medical assistance is clear and convincing evidence to me of a depraved indifference to the value of human life.

If this is what you said, that is true.  You have a way with words however and no doubt it came out sideways and smelling like steaming broccoli. 

But this one is a 'lynchpin' as it were.  There is no excuse making this time.  Time for some police union busting and serious serious budget cuts to law enforcement.  Like 50% off the top and the officers have tO borrow the bullets at a value of $50,000 apiece.  A little less than the median income.  The officer who uses a bullet justifiably sees a $49,000 reduction but still pays $1000.  The police dept still pays $50,000 for a new bullet.  Unjustifiably (even accidental) means $50,000 is deducted from his pay for the year.  This may put newer cops in absolute negative territory.  But the police dept then must borrow a new bullet for $50,000 as well in addition to the $50,000 the cop is paying.

Cop cars would be governed at 5mph over the speed limit.  If they drive faster, the car engine dies and cannot be turned back on for a week.  Tow truck companies would be instructed to move the car out of traffic and secure it in place.  $50,000 gets the car moved out of the elements.  The value of car repairs will be paid for by the dept and an amount 7 times the cost of repair deducted from the following year's budget.  Armed police would not be allowed within 25 feet of a courthouse.

This may well be the worst post of the year.

Who are you again?
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2015, 06:23:59 PM »

The way the death penalty in this country "works" he'd be spending a significant length of time behind bars.

Yeah, but death row inmates are generally in solitary (23+ hours a day in cell).

Granted that's absolute hell, just as being with inmates would be.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2015, 06:47:36 PM »

But this one is a 'lynchpin' as it were.  There is no excuse making this time.  Time for some police union busting and serious serious budget cuts to law enforcement.  Like 50% off the top and the officers have tO borrow the bullets at a value of $50,000 apiece.  A little less than the median income.  The officer who uses a bullet justifiably sees a $49,000 reduction but still pays $1000.  The police dept still pays $50,000 for a new bullet.  Unjustifiably (even accidental) means $50,000 is deducted from his pay for the year.  This may put newer cops in absolute negative territory.  But the police dept then must borrow a new bullet for $50,000 as well in addition to the $50,000 the cop is paying.

Cop cars would be governed at 5mph over the speed limit.  If they drive faster, the car engine dies and cannot be turned back on for a week.  Tow truck companies would be instructed to move the car out of traffic and secure it in place.  $50,000 gets the car moved out of the elements.  The value of car repairs will be paid for by the dept and an amount 7 times the cost of repair deducted from the following year's budget.  Armed police would not be allowed within 25 feet of a courthouse.

Literally the dumbest thing I've ever read.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies