Is living in an area with almost no opposing political views unhealthy?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:49:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Is living in an area with almost no opposing political views unhealthy?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is living in an area with almost no opposing political views unhealthy?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: Is living in an area with almost no opposing political views unhealthy?  (Read 1076 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 08, 2015, 09:54:06 AM »

Such as liberals who live in 85-90% Obama areas or conservatives who live in ultra-conservative exurban areas and thus basically just assume everyone around them has the same views they do...and is usually correct. And thus such people end up with no exposure to dissenting views or different opinions.

I say no though, because I like my 86+% Obama precinct and take comfort in knowing how unlikely it is any of my neighbors are anti-gay or teabagger idiots.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 09:57:21 AM »

I don't think there's any relationship between being exposed to opposing political views and one's health. Sounds like a bunch of moderate hero, golden mean nonsense to me.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 10:09:38 AM »

It's unhealthy in a political sense to never listen to counter evidence or people who disagree with you.  You can ignore crazy people like Republican politicians, but you should listen to people with reasoned arguments.  If only to better understand why you disagree with them, it's a good thing to get different perspectives.  Try it sometime.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 10:14:02 AM »

It's unhealthy in a political sense to never listen to counter evidence or people who disagree with you.  You can ignore crazy people like Republican politicians, but you should listen to people with reasoned arguments.  If only to better understand why you disagree with them, it's a good thing to get different perspectives.  Try it sometime.

Sure, you can get that from reading blogs, articles, books, etc. Doesn't mean you need to live with people with different views.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 10:17:38 AM »

Sure, you can get that from reading blogs, articles, books, etc. Doesn't mean you need to live with people with different views.

Right, it's awkward to talk to your neighbors about politics anyway.  And, as someone who lives in a 99% Obama precinct, I probably see more diverse types of people anyway.  There is something to living in NYC, riding the subway and rubbing elbows with business execs and filthy homeless people to open up your worldview.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 10:52:50 AM »

It's practically impossible for this situation to exist for me, so I'd say yes, just because walling yourself off into a 'safe space' is not good for anyone, because you forget what living in the real world is like and forget how to interact with people who disagree with you.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 10:52:52 AM »

Stop talking about yourself BRTD.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 11:36:49 AM »

With the internet being a thing that exists, no. I live in a very conservative area yet I can choose to go on left-wing websites and internet communities if I so choose. So in effect, I can have my fill of both viewpoints whenever I want.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 11:44:02 AM »

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 12:35:06 PM »

I don't talk about politics with my neighbours, so it doesn't matter.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 01:24:31 PM »

None of that compares to what one may end up overhearing on commutes, or at work, or *gasps* a conversation that ends up going that way for whatever reason.

Not all spoken political views come from direct speaking.

There's simply something to be said to seeing the intent dripping off how one speaks as well as the quality of the argument itself...that other media simply doesn't get. Especially the internet where the freedom to say something truly outrageous exists thanks to anonymity.

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 01:32:20 PM »

Like most normal human beings, I don't talk to strangers or acquaintances or people I run into about politics. I don't even really talk to my friends about politics, beyond making fun of Republicans for being dumb or whatever. Having protracted political debates or discussions in the real world face to face with a real person is almost always awkward and uncomfortable for both parties so I try to avoid that.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 02:44:01 PM »

Meh, my precinct was 80% Obama, and I still feel like I have plenty of contact with those with disagreeing viewpoints, both on the internet and in person, even within my precinct.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 03:13:53 PM »

There are plenty of disagreements in areas that voted 90% Obama.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2015, 03:29:42 PM »

Yes. I think it opens the road for close-minded politics.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2015, 03:32:09 PM »

No, after college I will find 100 people who share my exact positions on every issue and we'll move to North Dakota and not have any contact with the outside world.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2015, 04:11:03 PM »

No, after college I will find 100 people who share my exact positions on every issue and we'll move to North Dakota and not have any contact with the outside world.

http://theweek.com/articles/482427/libertarian-island-billionaires-utopia
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2015, 04:14:58 PM »

I think the person who ask the very question answer it in the first post. Do anybody really think that BRTD are part of a healthy political subculture? This is like some three armed guy asking whether inbreeding is unhealthy.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2015, 06:15:40 PM »

So to sum up the point of this thread, it was essentially the OP talking to himself and hoping others would confirm his already-held position?

BRTD: "Is a certain thing unhealthy/bad?"

BRTD: "No, it is not; I do that thing."
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2015, 07:03:01 PM »

lol, BRTD.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2015, 11:45:25 PM »

Like most normal human beings, I don't talk to strangers or acquaintances or people I run into about politics. I don't even really talk to my friends about politics, beyond making fun of Republicans for being dumb or whatever. Having protracted political debates or discussions in the real world face to face with a real person is almost always awkward and uncomfortable for both parties so I try to avoid that.

Ah but that's basically what I'm referring to. Remember too, Michele Bachmann was from this state in Congress for 8 years.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2015, 12:44:52 AM »

Maybe twenty or thirty years ago, but not today. Even if you live in a 100% Obama precinct (yes, there are actually precincts that went 100% Obama), you can still turn on the TV or surf the news/YT to hear just about any political view you want. You should have a good idea of what the other side's argument is, so you know why you support and don't support something and aren't just supporting/not supporting it because your parents/grandparents/friends/teachers/party leaders/really famous people tell you it's a good/bad idea.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2015, 01:35:26 PM »

Because reading a post from an anonymous internet poster who's free to be a complete d*ckhead with no consequences is totally indicative of all opposing views and totally won't just reinforce your own, effectively "patting yourself on the back."
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2015, 01:38:41 PM »

Of course it is.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies