Obama to Denounce "Conversion Therapy"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:32:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama to Denounce "Conversion Therapy"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Obama to Denounce "Conversion Therapy"  (Read 5376 times)
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 08, 2015, 08:35:41 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/09/us/politics/obama-to-call-for-end-to-conversion-therapies-for-gay-and-transgender-youth.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&bicmp=AD&bicmlukp=WT.mc_id&bicmst=1409232722000&bicmet=1419773522000

You must be logged in to read this quote.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 09:03:43 PM »

About f**king time.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 09:13:08 PM »

Conversion therapy is dumb even for fundamentalist standards.  If you believe being gay is a sin and want to convert your child, then wouldn't that person just pray and ask the child to repent? 
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 10:09:49 PM »

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 02:43:55 AM »

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 02:47:29 AM »

Right, because the type of people who believe this crap works and is necessary are definitely going to change their minds after hearing Obama denounce it.  I predict a bounce in support for the practice!
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 04:29:23 AM »

Right, because the type of people who believe this crap works and is necessary are definitely going to change their minds after hearing Obama denounce it.  I predict a bounce in support for the practice!

And I'm sure the First Amendment will be cited to protect the rights of people or groups to psychologically torture children anyway.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 04:37:35 AM »

And I'm sure the First Amendment will be cited to protect the rights of people or groups to psychologically torture children anyway.

That didn't work out in California. Hopefully other Dem-controlled States will follow Jerry Brown's lead.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 04:46:16 AM »

It might help bring awareness to the practice and its awful nature, maybe? Sometimes it's perfectly alright to stand up and declare that puppies are indeed cute, for the record.
t_host1

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 08:54:35 AM »

Denouncing common sense*, at first, may be thought as an undoable goal. However, since, significant gains in the dilution of [it] are having an effect, with, the good of it only being seen thru rose colored glasses, confusion, has found its place.
 I suspect it is more to do with Obamacare billings than anything else; if we could only look forward to this same line of thought being applied to public education and its conversion therapy - - - next election maybe.

*Term: Conversion Therapy; adj ., the confusion of common sense, confused preyed upon.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 08:56:11 AM »

Denouncing common sense*, at first, may be thought as an undoable goal. However, since, significant gains in the dilution of [it] are having an effect, with, the good of it only being seen thru rose colored glasses, confusion, has found its place.
 I suspect it is more to do with Obamacare billings than anything else; if we could only look forward to this same line of thought being applied to public education and its conversion therapy - - - next election maybe.

*Term: Conversion Therapy; adj ., the confusion of common sense, confused preyed upon.

Jao has spoken.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 10:22:34 AM »

This. I'm glad Obama opposes it, but he's long lost any ability to change people's minds on anything of substance.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 03:12:37 PM »

This. I'm glad Obama opposes it, but he's long lost any ability to change people's minds on anything of substance.

Net neutrality?
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 03:16:01 PM »

Good.  I'd be ok with this being legal if it was only for stupid adults, but allowing adults to force their children into this sh*t is unacceptable. 
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2015, 12:36:26 AM »

Net neutrality?

The thing is what that did (although an excellent policy and a real legacy issue) is it made Republicans oppose Net Neutrality "because Obama".

So it's actually a case in point.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2015, 07:31:35 AM »

Medical malpractice is not protected by the First Amendment. Yes, I know, you already knew that. Smiley
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2015, 11:05:52 AM »

Right, because the type of people who believe this crap works and is necessary are definitely going to change their minds after hearing Obama denounce it.  I predict a bounce in support for the practice!

It's probably more for the black community, Joe.  And we can get into all the reasons that's a sad or crass thing to say or believe but it's true.  
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2015, 11:21:05 AM »

Medical malpractice is not protected by the First Amendment. Yes, I know, you already knew that. Smiley

But they will try to use it. Which is what is so painful.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2015, 11:57:04 AM »

Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2015, 11:59:11 AM »

He hasn't already?
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2015, 02:21:02 PM »

And here I'll once again point out that it does work sometimes, but more often than not it fails. The few success stories are the reasons people do them.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2015, 02:40:55 PM »

And here I'll once again point out that it does work sometimes, but more often than not it fails. The few success stories are the reasons people do them.

Haven't some of those more prominent "success stories" since been discredited, one way or the other?
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2015, 02:48:23 PM »

Haven't some of those more prominent "success stories" since been discredited, one way or the other?

Pretty much.  How long can you possibly go on downing blue pill after blue pill so you can bone the wife that you probably find physically repulsive?  And how disturbed is she when you shout "OH ANDRE!!!!!"?  It's just bad for everybody.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2015, 03:41:38 PM »

We need to stop gender reassignment too? Horrible conversion
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2015, 03:51:41 PM »

You always bring this up. Given that these 'success' stories often years or decades later come out and say nothing changed then I think there is reason to dismiss 'success' stories. Some people find that they are more bi than gay or straight but that's not the same as claiming same sex attraction is 'cured'.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies