Tennessee on verge of banning phones, cameras at polling places
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:59:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tennessee on verge of banning phones, cameras at polling places  (Read 4218 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 09, 2015, 01:44:47 AM »
« edited: April 11, 2015, 12:19:34 AM by Former Moderate »

AFAIK it's passed both the House and the Senate. I can't find much on it yet but from what little wording I've seen, it makes it sound as if you can't use mobile devices within the designated no-campaign range of a precinct.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 01:42:14 AM »

Well, I thought this would be a bigger deal than it appears to be based on commentary here. Tennessee is essentially banning the ability to document voter disenfranchisement and other shenanigans at the polls. Is this a common law in other states?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 01:53:16 AM »

It stinks.  Our democracy is dead. 
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 01:53:32 AM »

Pretty much you have 1st amendment rights until you don't.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 12:47:53 PM »

What's the point?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 03:01:33 PM »
« Edited: April 11, 2015, 03:11:28 PM by cinyc »

This is nothing new.  Photographing inside the polling place is already illegal in many states.

Not having a ban on photography in the voting both itself could lead to voter intimidation, either due to others taking a picture of those who voted, possibly including their secret ballot, or through bosses or union officials requiring voters to photograph their ballots to show they voted the "correct" way.  So there is a basis for banning photography in the voting booth.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 03:10:52 PM »

Minnesota: The Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State strongly discourages voters from using cameras or video recorders in the polling place. And you can't share your ballot results with anyone in the polling place, but it is unclear whether you could legally share it with the rest of the internet.

Reasonable, as usual.  Record if you must...but make sure there's a good reason for it.  Like suspected disenfranchisement.  Which should always be recorded regardless of the law.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 03:29:32 PM »

Murican'tstoptwittrin!!
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 03:51:12 PM »

I don't see the issue either. Already illegal in Canada.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 04:59:27 PM »

Roll Eyes I mean, come on, you won't tell me that you can't take ten minutes to vote without taking a photo or tweeting a selfie? Freedom decision!

I'm thinking the issue is more "you can't try to videotape an elections official who's denying you the right to vote even if you're registered and have proper identification".

Also selfies would be included under freedom of expression and this whole banning photography in voting booths is probably unconstitutional. It make sense if it banned people from taking photos of other people's ballots, but not the way it's presented right now.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 05:31:46 PM »

Cuz if Canada did it, it's right.

And you wonder why I'm obsessed with eschatology.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2015, 06:59:16 AM »

Minnesota: The Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State strongly discourages voters from using cameras or video recorders in the polling place. And you can't share your ballot results with anyone in the polling place, but it is unclear whether you could legally share it with the rest of the internet.

Reasonable, as usual.  Record if you must...but make sure there's a good reason for it.  Like suspected disenfranchisement.  Which should always be recorded regardless of the law.

I can tell you this: if I see something going on at the precinct, I will video it and they can sort out the charges later. I have seen multiple videos uploaded to the internet from GA showing nefarious activities at the ballot box before (it is against the law here), so it's probably not heavily enforced in most cases.

Yeah, but you guys actually have legitimate elections. Tongue

So here's a map from the article cinyc posted. I tried to categorize the states as best as possible:

Maroon - photography/video of all types banned
Red - photography/video bans set by each county
Orange - photography/video banned when disclosing a vote, how someone else voted or similar cases
White - photography/video allowed

Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 05:56:24 PM »

Roll Eyes I mean, come on, you won't tell me that you can't take ten minutes to vote without taking a photo or tweeting a selfie? Freedom decision!

This isn't about being able to take a selfie with your ballot. (Though I totally would have done so last November if given the choice, and believe it should be legal.), this is about being able to record proof of voter disenfranchisement at polling places. But as usual your ability to spew right-wing talking points without looking at facts, while claiming to be a moderate is superb, so I'll just leave this here:

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 07:28:19 PM »

good.

Ban that shit while driving a car, too.

Jeesus H. Christ, it's like this generation was born with a fucking iPhone in its hands.  Normally, I'm not a fan of government intervention in anything, but get over yourselves.  Sometimes it's okay just to do something without making sure five hundred thousand of your closest friends know about it immediately.

MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 07:38:45 PM »

And ballot selfies are endangering secrecy of votes and enable voter intimidation.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2015, 07:47:17 PM »

dressing like a drugged-up, swagged-out sexually ambiguous teenage toddler.

this is appropriate dress for meeting with Harper
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2015, 07:47:24 PM »

This isn't about being able to take a selfie with your ballot. (Though I totally would have done so last November if given the choice, and believe it should be legal.), this is about being able to record proof of voter disenfranchisement at polling places. But as usual your ability to spew right-wing talking points without looking at facts, while claiming to be a moderate is superb, so I'll just leave this here:

Oh yeah, I feel so oppressed and insulted right now Roll Eyes And of course this is all about being able to "record proof of voter disenfranchisement" in Battleground Tennessee. Obama would have won in 2012 had it not been for all the voter suppression efforts! Roll Eyes Bill Haslam, who is so unpopular with TN Democrats, just barely won re-election with 70% of the vote! Pathetic! Same with Kasich in OH. Anyway, I am not going to comment on this any more. Voter fraud is as non-existent as voter suppression in TN. The bigger issue is not the ban of phones or cameras but rather the Voter ID law. A student organization filed a federal lawsuit in March claiming the state's voter identification law violates the rights of college students by not allowing them to use school IDs to vote. And you can argue about the law, no doubt about it. But to claim that this is all about "voter suppression" and "the end of democracy" is just plain absurd! Btw: If you think that Republicans are exaggerating the whole "voter fraud" stuff, well, then I agree with you.

I honestly couldn't care less about the result of the 2012 election in Tennessee. Obviously Romney would have been victorious regardless. But the fact of the matter is, is that the GOP has an ugly streak of passing voter suppression laws in states they control. (Generally southern states with a lot of black folk) What you're saying is that because elections in Tennessee generally aren't that competitive, then it's okay to make voting hard or impossible for certain people. Even if the GOP won elections by 30 percentage points with 100% of the voting aged public participating, I would still vehemently oppose any law that threatened the right to vote for anyone. Obviously if Democrats were supporting these types of atrocious measures, I would be calling them out as well. This act is simply so that the horror of "voter ID" laws can't be easily documented, thus keeping the public in the dark, and willing to support further suppression, and not nearly as likely to vote out the enemies of The People that apparently run many states at this point.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2015, 08:52:04 PM »

Cameras can also document if there are glitches with voting machines.   It's a tough issue, both sides have legitimate concerns.   Maybe there's a satisfactory compromise out there but I'm not sure what it would be.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2015, 09:14:50 PM »

My first reaction to this was that voting is a private decision and allowing photography of it would be a privacy infringement. I certainly do understand the opposite argument too though, allowing it to document abuses.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2015, 10:52:44 PM »

Indyrep isnt a real person.  He is a contrarian spambot.  In fact Mattymatt, its best to just assume all forumites like indyrep are literally cybermen waiting to be activated Tongue (kidding indyrep)
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2015, 06:52:00 AM »

And ballot selfies are endangering secrecy of votes and enable voter intimidation.

selfies of all stripes endanger civilization as we know it.  They are the 21st-century equivalent of sitting naked on a photocopier and leaving photocopies of your hairy ass and sack as a prank in the office mailboxes of your colleagues.  That's okay once in a blue moon, so to speak, but with mobile phones the attention whore mentality become ubiquitous, so that children today don't know good manners.

Actually, civilization as we knew it ended already on December 21, 2012.  The Maya accurately predicted that.  What they didn't prepare us for was what form the new civilization would take.  Perhaps in the grand scheme of things, instantly messaging your ballot suffrage, along with your latest bowel movement, to friends--strangers apparently don't exist anymore--is not the hallmark of an inferior civilization.  Just one that takes some getting used to.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2015, 07:52:30 AM »

selfies of all stripes endanger civilization as we know it.  They are the 21st-century equivalent of sitting naked on a photocopier and leaving photocopies of your hairy ass and sack as a prank in the office mailboxes of your colleagues.  That's okay once in a blue moon, so to speak, but with mobile phones the attention whore mentality become ubiquitous, so that children today don't know good manners.

Actually, civilization as we knew it ended already on December 21, 2012.  The Maya accurately predicted that.  What they didn't prepare us for was what form the new civilization would take.  Perhaps in the grand scheme of things, instantly messaging your ballot suffrage, along with your latest bowel movement, to friends--strangers apparently don't exist anymore--is not the hallmark of an inferior civilization.  Just one that takes some getting used to.

You'll love this, then.

https://youtu.be/DJklHwoYgBQ?t=2m14s
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2015, 11:26:59 AM »

#itsmyanus

23% arousal.  (negligible)

King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2015, 12:19:22 PM »

Unenforceable.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2015, 03:51:57 PM »

I wonder how these laws apply to absentee ballots. If it's about protecting the "sanctity of voter privacy", but I'm still allowed to tweet out my own ballot which I fill out at home, there seems to be a big gap in the reasoning. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies