Tennessee on verge of banning phones, cameras at polling places (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:17:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Tennessee on verge of banning phones, cameras at polling places (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tennessee on verge of banning phones, cameras at polling places  (Read 4231 times)
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« on: April 13, 2015, 05:56:24 PM »

Roll Eyes I mean, come on, you won't tell me that you can't take ten minutes to vote without taking a photo or tweeting a selfie? Freedom decision!

This isn't about being able to take a selfie with your ballot. (Though I totally would have done so last November if given the choice, and believe it should be legal.), this is about being able to record proof of voter disenfranchisement at polling places. But as usual your ability to spew right-wing talking points without looking at facts, while claiming to be a moderate is superb, so I'll just leave this here:

Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 07:47:24 PM »

Roll Eyes I mean, come on, you won't tell me that you can't take ten minutes to vote without taking a photo or tweeting a selfie? Freedom decision!

This isn't about being able to take a selfie with your ballot. (Though I totally would have done so last November if given the choice, and believe it should be legal.), this is about being able to record proof of voter disenfranchisement at polling places. But as usual your ability to spew right-wing talking points without looking at facts, while claiming to be a moderate is superb, so I'll just leave this here:

Oh yeah, I feel so oppressed and insulted right now Roll Eyes And of course this is all about being able to "record proof of voter disenfranchisement" in Battleground Tennessee. Obama would have won in 2012 had it not been for all the voter suppression efforts! Roll Eyes Bill Haslam, who is so unpopular with TN Democrats, just barely won re-election with 70% of the vote! Pathetic! Same with Kasich in OH. Anyway, I am not going to comment on this any more. Voter fraud is as non-existent as voter suppression in TN. The bigger issue is not the ban of phones or cameras but rather the Voter ID law. A student organization filed a federal lawsuit in March claiming the state's voter identification law violates the rights of college students by not allowing them to use school IDs to vote. And you can argue about the law, no doubt about it. But to claim that this is all about "voter suppression" and "the end of democracy" is just plain absurd! Btw: If you think that Republicans are exaggerating the whole "voter fraud" stuff, well, then I agree with you.

I honestly couldn't care less about the result of the 2012 election in Tennessee. Obviously Romney would have been victorious regardless. But the fact of the matter is, is that the GOP has an ugly streak of passing voter suppression laws in states they control. (Generally southern states with a lot of black folk) What you're saying is that because elections in Tennessee generally aren't that competitive, then it's okay to make voting hard or impossible for certain people. Even if the GOP won elections by 30 percentage points with 100% of the voting aged public participating, I would still vehemently oppose any law that threatened the right to vote for anyone. Obviously if Democrats were supporting these types of atrocious measures, I would be calling them out as well. This act is simply so that the horror of "voter ID" laws can't be easily documented, thus keeping the public in the dark, and willing to support further suppression, and not nearly as likely to vote out the enemies of The People that apparently run many states at this point.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies