Get out: US voters want more deportations, curbs on immigrants
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:38:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Get out: US voters want more deportations, curbs on immigrants
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Get out: US voters want more deportations, curbs on immigrants  (Read 6056 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2015, 10:41:38 PM »

Who cares what they think? They've proven unable to make any good political decisions.

I am anti illegal immigration Pro Legal Immigration
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2015, 09:11:02 AM »

^literally the worst talking point ever conceived
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2015, 11:18:45 AM »

Why? Seems like common sense.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2015, 05:12:22 PM »

Why? Seems like common sense.

Stupidity is quite common, yes.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2015, 05:54:01 PM »

Why is it stupid not to accept illegal immigration?
If people can immigrate illegally the demcratically elected institutions lose control over who can and can not immigrate.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2015, 06:00:44 PM »

I don't care what the average American has to say about the civil rights of others (normal)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2015, 06:10:09 PM »

I prefer illegal immigration to legal.  There is a mile high Berlin wall of Inkses, Xes, and Nasos to wade through before you can be legal.  And I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Come here illegally and work and then ReaganObama will deem you legal.  Then grab your popcorn and watch the rule lovers rage.  Its better than American Gladiators.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2015, 08:04:42 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2015, 08:14:22 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

If people can immigrate illegally the demcratically elected institutions lose control over who can and can not immigrate.

So? That is not something I am concerned about.

However, that is not my point. In the context of American politics, that position is meaningless. Our attempts to restrict immigration are the reason why "illegal" immigration is a problem. We built a border fence and significantly tightened border security. The result? Many immigrants die when they attempt to cross the border and the ones that make it, tend to stay on "al otro lado". Historically, illegal immigration was a rather temporary phenomenon: workers flowed back and forth across the border and did not place a strain on social services.

If you're concerned about human rights, there's no proper way to control immigration. Placing controls on immigration typically results in the existence of a large underclass of illegal immigrants. This does not mean that I oppose all controls on immigration. It means that I recognize that the vast majority of controls are futile. I also recognize that they're not compatible with the concept of "human rights" or "citizen rights".  If "illegal" immigrants work in a nation for 10+ years, they're necessarily apart of the national fabric. They'll necessarily have family members that are citizens, friends that are citizens etc. Refusing to grant them civil rights in accordance with their status as community members is inhumane and despicable.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2015, 04:23:02 AM »
« Edited: April 11, 2015, 04:40:26 AM by Charlotte Hebdo »

If people can immigrate illegally the democratically elected institutions lose control over who can and can not immigrate.

So? That is not something I am concerned about.  

Maybe not, but a lot of other people would be. Determining population policy is an important part of a democracy. Size of population effects the environment and infrastructure, size of labour force affects wages, the ethnic/religious balance has social and political consequences etc. Even if you don't care, why shouldn't other citizens be allowed to have a say in this?

The US is a big country and its multiethnic population makes it easier to blend in for illegal immigrants, but the failure to prevent illegal immigration also has a lot to do with two things:

1) Not wanting to get tough with people hiring illegal immigrants. If it costs enough - incl. asset forfeiture and confiscation of profits - few employers would take the risk.

2) Not having a national population register, where all citizens and permanent residents are registered and national ID-cards.

Both things are political decisions, and would be unpopular in a US context, but it is still things you can do and none of them violate human rights. Saying that you can never reduce the problem with illegal immigration to a manageable level is an exaggeration.

Rewarding people for breaking the law risks undermining respect for the law in other areas and is a provocation to people who consider themselves lawabiding. So dropping border security and letting workers flow back and forth over the border (or staying as long they want) is a problematic solution.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2015, 02:31:57 PM »

As I am not a fascist I have no problem with that
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2015, 11:33:46 PM »

Deportation of illegal immigrants?

Not aggressive enough: 62%
Too aggressive: 16%
About right: 15%

I have to believe a lot of this is people falsely believing nothing is being done. Democrats and Republicans both have an interest in communicating to their base that deportations aren't happening under Obama.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2015, 12:16:54 AM »

Immigration is a very low priority issue for me.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies