Get out: US voters want more deportations, curbs on immigrants
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:21:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Get out: US voters want more deportations, curbs on immigrants
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Get out: US voters want more deportations, curbs on immigrants  (Read 6034 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 09, 2015, 03:06:42 AM »

Deportation of illegal immigrants?

Not aggressive enough: 62%
Too aggressive: 16%
About right: 15%

Should illegals with American-born children be exempt from deportation?

No: 51%
Yes: 32%

Should there be an automatic birthright citizenship for children born to illegal immigrant mothers?

No: 54%
Yes: 38%

Should a person have to prove they are in the country legally before recieving government services?

Yes: 83%
No: 12%

http://rt.com/usa/247217-us-voters-immigration-poll/

OUCH. Even more harsh than my opinions.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 03:27:01 AM »

But you know that the Obama admin is deporting people in droves ?

Deportations have never been higher than under Obama ...
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 03:37:15 AM »

But you know that the Obama admin is deporting people in droves ?

Deportations have never been higher than under Obama ...

I never said it wasn't. Just posting a Rasmussen poll.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 03:41:40 AM »

As for the poll questions:

About right. The current policy works fine and I already pointed out that the Obama government deports people like no administration before.

Yes, there needs to be a social component here, because what should a 7-year old kid in the US who goes to school do with deported parents in Mexico ?

Should there be an automatic birthright citizenship for children born to illegal immigrant mothers?

No, automatic birthright citizenship shouldn't be possible.

Should a person have to prove they are in the country legally before recieving government services?

Yes of course. In Austria, foreigners even have to work a few years and pay into the system before they can claim any government services.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 03:54:51 AM »

Out of curiosity, how does the US stack up against other developed countries in terms of the unpopularity of immigration?  Are there any developed countries in which more immigration is more popular than less immigration?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 03:58:16 AM »

I see Scotty's push-polling again. Use a couple of different synonyms and the results for most of these change completely.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 04:07:15 AM »

Out of curiosity, how does the US stack up against other developed countries in terms of the unpopularity of immigration?  Are there any developed countries in which more immigration is more popular than less immigration?

There's a new Eurobarometer poll out about this question from Dec. 2014:

http://ec.europa.eu/public_opinion/archives/eb/eb82/eb82_first_en.pdf

Crosstabs for country results:

http://ec.europa.eu/public_opinion/archives/eb/eb82/eb82_anx_en.pdf

They actually asked 2 different questions in all 28 member states:

QA11.1 Please tell me whether each of the following statements evokes a positive or negative feeling for you. Immigration of people from other EU Member StatesSad

QA11.2 Please tell me whether each of the following statements evokes a positive or negative feeling for you. Immigration of people from outside the EUSad

And:

QA12 In your opinion, should additional measures be taken to fight illegal immigration of people from outside the EU?

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 04:16:07 AM »
« Edited: April 09, 2015, 04:28:40 AM by Antonio V »

QA11.2 Please tell me whether each of the following statements evokes a positive or negative feeling for you. Immigration of people from outside the EUSad

Sweden never ceases to amaze.

Oh BTW, there goes my 33,333th post! Cheesy
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 04:16:12 AM »

To answer your question Mr. Morden:

Sweden might be one of the only countries in which a solid majority actually favors more immigration than less.

Don't know about Canada though ...

Maybe someone could create a ranking of the EU-28 figures ?
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 07:41:06 AM »

The US should create enough jobs to accommodate all natural born citizens and illegal immigrants, but we have the unhealthy obsession with payroll taxation and profligate spending on senior citizens who are already quite secure and well-off.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 08:28:34 AM »

This is what happens when the pro-immigration side makes themselves look this bad, essentially dismissing Congress from the process and engaging in illegal mass legalizations. They only have themselves to blame.

A future President, either a Republican or a law-abiding Democrat, will likely propose a reasonable immigration reform bill that will tilt the numbers back in its favor relatively quickly.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 08:40:15 AM »

Not aggressive enough: 62%
Too aggressive: 16%
About right: 15%

No: 51%
Yes: 32%

No: 54%
Yes: 38%

Yes: 83%
No: 12%

http://rt.com/usa/247217-us-voters-immigration-poll/

OUCH. Even more harsh than my opinions.

I know you are a dirty racist and probably don't make a distinction, but this poll is about illegal immigrants, not immigrants in general. Your thread title is misleading.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 08:49:46 AM »

This is what happens when the pro-immigration side makes themselves look this bad, essentially dismissing Congress from the process and engaging in illegal mass legalizations. They only have themselves to blame.

A future President, either a Republican or a law-abiding Democrat, will likely propose a reasonable immigration reform bill that will tilt the numbers back in its favor relatively quickly.

This poll is about illegal immigration!!!! I don't think the public will ever support illegal immigration, and nor should they. If changes need to be made to accommodate certain industries to rationalize the immigration system, like agriculture or meat packing, then it should be done by legislation.

Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 08:55:21 AM »

And here is a more reputable source on the opinion of immigration in this country.
http://www.people-press.org/2014/06/26/section-4-views-on-immigration-and-race/
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 09:07:36 AM »

This poll is about illegal immigration!!!! I don't think the public will ever support illegal immigration, and nor should they. If changes need to be made to accommodate certain industries to rationalize the immigration system, like agriculture or meat packing, then it should be done by legislation.

A majority against birthright citizenship, an extremely long-running right? That's a sign of serious polarization caused by angry partisanship.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2015, 09:27:03 AM »

A majority against birthright citizenship, an extremely long-running right? That's a sign of serious polarization caused by angry partisanship.

I don't think opinions on that changed overnight. Being in favor of legal immigration and opposing birthright citizenship are not mutually exclusive. I don't think there is good data to suggest Americans have become more anti-immigrant after Obama's executive order. I don't trust the push poll cited in the OP. Especially since we can't compare answers to those specific questions from before the executive order.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2015, 10:58:08 AM »

RT? How patriotic.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2015, 11:05:27 AM »

Rasmussen push polls have always shown this. No other pollster has been able to verify.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2015, 11:38:02 AM »

Most of this is just about what you'd expect from responses to a poll whose questions do things like using 'illegal' as a noun, but the disrespect for the humane, compassionate, and [I'm trying to avoid the word 'progressive' because I don't like it but I can't really think of a near-synonym that works as well] legacy of the Fourteenth Amendment that the majority of these poll respondents (and our most overt resident European cultural supremacist) exhibit is disturbing.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2015, 11:42:52 AM »

Is it really that surprising that most people, in a time of economic uncertainty, would voice opinions like those that have come back as a result of this survey? Especially given the toxic anti-immigrant rhetoric that comes out of the news media on a daily basis (i.e. referring to undocumented workers as 'illegals', blaming them for everything from ebola to terrorist attack, etc)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2015, 11:48:45 AM »

For all of the Nasos in our great republic, on the whole, I'd say Americans are far more accepting of those from other countries and far more willing to have them move here than the French, the Germans, the Australians or the British. I can see the Canadians being moreso just because they're Canadian and why not. The Swedish don't seem to protesteth much at all the minarets and burkas appearing in their country (and perhaps they should be).
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2015, 03:51:16 PM »

As for the poll questions:

About right. The current policy works fine and I already pointed out that the Obama government deports people like no administration before.

Yes, there needs to be a social component here, because what should a 7-year old kid in the US who goes to school do with deported parents in Mexico ?

No, automatic birthright citizenship shouldn't be possible.

Yes of course. In Austria, foreigners even have to work a few years and pay into the system before they can claim any government services.

On that last thought; illegal immigrants do pay into the system; they pay sales tax, most kinds of payroll tax, and other taxes that don't specifically require legal residency.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2015, 05:21:07 PM »

I see Scotty's push-polling again. Use a couple of different synonyms and the results for most of these change completely.
Its so xenophobes like Naso can justify their xenophobia and say 'see!' Everyone agrees with me!  Like the 97% of scientists who agree that climate change is real and we're responsible for 50.1% or more.  Oh wait.. I bet Naso draws his xenohypocrisy line right about there.

Thank you for telling us how xenophobic you are Naso with this thread.  Now I wonder what Americans actually think about immigration and deportation?
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2015, 05:57:36 PM »

President Romney is a testament to the intensity of anti-immigrant sentiment in the United States.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2015, 06:25:42 PM »

Who cares what they think? They've proven unable to make any good political decisions.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies