Get out: US voters want more deportations, curbs on immigrants (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:46:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Get out: US voters want more deportations, curbs on immigrants (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Get out: US voters want more deportations, curbs on immigrants  (Read 6071 times)
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« on: April 09, 2015, 05:57:36 PM »

President Romney is a testament to the intensity of anti-immigrant sentiment in the United States.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 05:12:22 PM »

^literally the worst talking point ever conceived

Why? Seems like common sense.

Stupidity is quite common, yes.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 08:04:42 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2015, 08:14:22 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

Why is it stupid not to accept illegal immigration?
If people can immigrate illegally the demcratically elected institutions lose control over who can and can not immigrate.

So? That is not something I am concerned about.

However, that is not my point. In the context of American politics, that position is meaningless. Our attempts to restrict immigration are the reason why "illegal" immigration is a problem. We built a border fence and significantly tightened border security. The result? Many immigrants die when they attempt to cross the border and the ones that make it, tend to stay on "al otro lado". Historically, illegal immigration was a rather temporary phenomenon: workers flowed back and forth across the border and did not place a strain on social services.

If you're concerned about human rights, there's no proper way to control immigration. Placing controls on immigration typically results in the existence of a large underclass of illegal immigrants. This does not mean that I oppose all controls on immigration. It means that I recognize that the vast majority of controls are futile. I also recognize that they're not compatible with the concept of "human rights" or "citizen rights".  If "illegal" immigrants work in a nation for 10+ years, they're necessarily apart of the national fabric. They'll necessarily have family members that are citizens, friends that are citizens etc. Refusing to grant them civil rights in accordance with their status as community members is inhumane and despicable.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies