It's England's Oil?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:45:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  It's England's Oil?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: It's England's Oil?  (Read 483 times)
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 09, 2015, 07:55:08 AM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32229203

BBC reporting that oil has been discovered near Gatwick airport.

Potentially 100bn barrels have been found - while only 5%-15% is recoverable.

I wonder if this could trigger a rise in support for Scottish independence - hear me out:

Reading the BBC comments (before anyone mentions anything - these are two of the three highest rated comments):
"On the assumption that this find turns out to be viable, instead of frittering the income away, I'd like to suggest that the country starts a sovereign wealth fund along the same lines as the one operated by the Norwegians."

"I hope the revenue will all be for the English, after all just because the people of the 4 nations are all part of the United Kingdom doesn't mean they have to share..........Does is Ms Sturgeon?"

The SNP have been campaigning for an oil fund for years, but the UK Government have rejected  every attempt. If one is given for this oil - that will only ignite support for independence.

Secondly, the oil in the Scottish sector of the North Sea is currently shared per capita between the nations of the UK - to keep this oil money solely for England would anger the Scots.

I don't think any UK Government could keep Scotland and England happy simultaneously over this issue. I can't see the union in its current form staying together for much longer...

I should point out that I have no issue with an oil development fund (or all the oil money) being set up for England, if Scotland has the same deal.

Although, I don't know why I'm making such a big thing over this - oil is worthless these days (or so I've been told)...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies