The Atlasian Forum of Public Discourses
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:46:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Atlasian Forum of Public Discourses  (Read 287 times)
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 09, 2015, 10:26:32 AM »

established April 2015, Nyman, DC

Current Topic:
The "Policing the Police Act of 2014",
as currently debated by the Senate

Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to the Atlasian Forum of Public Discourses, or short AFPD. The AFPD is a place, where, ideally all Atlasians can gather to publicly discuss a certain topic or a certain law being debated by the Senate, or also just general ideas of the political and social context of Atlasia. It aims to inform, through fruitful, thorough and considerate debate and ideally input by a great variety of Atlasians with a great variety of different views or opinions, of those views or opinions a large number of Atlasians share. This, however, will only work if many Atlasians are ready to provide input, to discuss certain matters, as this forum has the one objective of being an instrument for every Atlasian to let her or his voice be heard. I would love if many of you would join in, if many of you are interested in what this can bring.

- Theodore Cranberry, Pacific Regional Senator, Chairman of the AFPD

In order to get this thing going, I decided to let the first topic to be discussed in the AFPD be the "Policing the Police Act" sponsored by Senator TNF, currently debated quite intensly in the Senate. I hope many of you are ready to participate, in this unique opportunity to let your own opinion be heard among others.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 08:23:04 PM »

I would like to add that I support the intent behind this bill. Something needed to be done in order to combat the issues within police departments and I'm interested in seeing it done in a reasonable way. That said, if the bill passes the Senate as it's currently written, we're in for a whole mess of litigation and I think it's in for a court fight, no matter how it passes.

We do need more accountable policing, though. We've seen it too many times now where an officer loses their cool. This is also for me not just about white on black crime. I saw a video of a male officer beating the holy bejeesus out of a woman in a holding cell over a DUI. I read a story about an officer shooting a man's service dog as his own partner implored him not to. Those officers behaved irresponsibly and were completely out of control.

There is clearly an issue here and I definitely want a bill passed that improves policing in Atlasia because it's pretty clear the status-quo isn't going to work.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 08:29:50 PM »

Wait, has this bill not been completely gutted by MHs yet to the point of irrelevance? I just assumed: I haven't followed it closely since my passionate dissertations on the matter and subsequent appointment as RG.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 09:03:48 PM »

Wait, has this bill not been completely gutted by MHs yet to the point of irrelevance? I just assumed: I haven't followed it closely since my passionate dissertations on the matter and subsequent appointment as RG.

It depends what the intention is and whether you want the Bill to actually function.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies