Affirmative Consent in Post-Secondary Education Act of 2015 (Final vote)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:26:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Affirmative Consent in Post-Secondary Education Act of 2015 (Final vote)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: Affirmative Consent in Post-Secondary Education Act of 2015 (Final vote)  (Read 4961 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2015, 04:11:33 PM »

Windjammer, don't you mean fail? I see way more Nays than Ayes.

As for the reasonable doubt wording... why? I mean, I understand it is very hard to prove cases of rape or assault, but it's hard to prove anything. The standard exists because, as a country, we believe that people are innocent until proven guilty. Not "suspected mostly guilty." I don't know what the balance is, but "50%+1 evidence" isn't fair either.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2015, 09:43:36 PM »

NAY
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2015, 12:56:06 AM »

Windjammer, don't you mean fail? I see way more Nays than Ayes.

As for the reasonable doubt wording... why? I mean, I understand it is very hard to prove cases of rape or assault, but it's hard to prove anything. The standard exists because, as a country, we believe that people are innocent until proven guilty. Not "suspected mostly guilty." I don't know what the balance is, but "50%+1 evidence" isn't fair either.

I would point out that you are talking about applying criminal standards to deal with criminal accusations. If anything is unfair, it's treating very serious crimes as if they were internal university matters in the same fashion as cheating on an exam.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2015, 09:25:39 AM »

Well, one could argue that these institutions also have a responsibility to address very serious issues like these that happen on their premeses.

And yes, I am invoking criminal standards, but only because I believe the principles behind them are applicable here. You can't kick someone out of school based on a suspicion.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2015, 10:12:02 AM »

As to Hagrid's amendment, ehh, I don't know. Ongoing permission throughout whatever people are choosing to do is problematic, standards of evidence are still problematic, the kind and quality of legitimate accusations are probably still problematic . . . I'm just uneasy about it.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2015, 10:23:58 AM »

This isn't a criminal matter. No one is being sent to jail. It's much more comparable to a civil matter, where the standards are much lower. "Preponderance of the evidence" doesn't mean 50% +1 of the evidence; it means looking at both stories and deciding which one is more likely to have happened. This is the "standard" used by school administrations in other disciplinary matters; why should rape cases suddenly have a much, much higher standard before the student is punished? If a school administration believes that one of their students is more likely than not a rapist, then they should be able to eject them from the school. The safety of other students is what is paramount here.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2015, 11:39:56 AM »

DemPGH, consent is not "asking for permission." Affirmative consent seems to give off that vibe, but I think "consent" on its own is a bit more open to interpretation and manifests in different forms.

As for the standard of evidence... Being kicked out of school for suspected rape carries almost as much baggage as being found guilty and sent to jail. I would rather this bill not speak at all on the standard of evidence than force schools to adopt the preponderance of evidence standard, which, let's face it, could be problematic.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2015, 12:11:58 PM »

This version, while certainly an improvement, does not put away with my general problem with this bill - I simply do not think we should tackle this problem the way as is proposed in here, through a radical, nationwide "micromanaging" of every little detail of the process of intimacy, if I may say so in a very dumb choice of words. It is thus the spirit of this bill I do not support, and since this amendment does not alter this, I couldn't really see myself supporting this bill as a final version in any instance.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2015, 12:26:48 PM »

I would rather this bill not speak at all on the standard of evidence

I would be okay with this.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2015, 03:44:03 PM »

Senator Cranberry, a vote for the amendment does not require a vote for the final version. Wink
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2015, 03:50:02 PM »

After hearing from a few colleagues, I choose to offer the following amendment once the one we're currently voting on fails. I know it doesn't change much, but I do think it changes the tone of the bill and makes "consent" slightly more palatable.

The next steps, for me, will involve making the penalties less severe for non-compliant institutions and, potentially, removing the government from trying to leverage the disciplinary process whatsoever. They're big changes though, so I'd rather do them one at a time. Plus, I don't know how much of the bill would actually be left. Tongue

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2015, 09:01:49 AM »

I really think that the 'consent must be ongoing' language is going to open up a major can of worms that might result in problems once it gets to the implementation stage, fwiw.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2015, 09:09:36 AM »

I really think that the 'consent must be ongoing' language is going to open up a major can of worms that might result in problems once it gets to the implementation stage, fwiw.

I agree. In something related to issues as delicate as this, language REALLY matters. Herein lies the problem, as far as I can see, with what Senator Hagrid is proposing. It does recognise that some situations are ambiguous (or perceived as such), however, recognising it introduces elements subjectivity into the Bill.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2015, 09:58:34 AM »

Senator Cranberry, a vote for the amendment does not require a vote for the final version. Wink

Sure, still, I'd not support this version if it were a final version, that's what I wanted to say.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2015, 11:36:05 AM »

I agree. In something related to issues as delicate as this, language REALLY matters. Herein lies the problem, as far as I can see, with what Senator Hagrid is proposing. It does recognise that some situations are ambiguous (or perceived as such), however, recognising it introduces elements subjectivity into the Bill.

How can it not be subjective, though? Consent should be ongoing throughout a sexual activity. So I guess the only solution is to define consent.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2015, 11:57:12 AM »

Aye: TNF,
Nay: Lief, Blair, Polnut, DemPGH, Talleyrand
Abstain: Cranberry, Windjammer, Cris,Hagrid,

TNF amendment has failed to be adopted.

Senators have 36 hours to object on Hagrid's amendment.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2015, 05:09:02 PM »

How can it not be subjective, though? Consent should be ongoing throughout a sexual activity. So I guess the only solution is to define consent.

That's my point ... It's a really not easy concept to grapple with in this context. Unless you're some kind of monster, you KNOW if consent is given and withdrawn but it is situational. Which is my concern.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2015, 05:11:15 PM »

But since we're just asking in that particular section that universities promote consent, how is that a problem?

I would be okay with removing our involvement in the disciplinary process entirely as well, just so it's more of a "soft" kind of push.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2015, 05:59:36 PM »

Hagrid's amendment has been adopted.

HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2015, 09:18:03 PM »

Okay, let's try to tackle the problem area another way. I've changed the ongoing consent part. Could it be considered agreeable?

TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2015, 07:04:39 PM »

That looks good.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2015, 07:10:40 PM »

It's certainly better.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2015, 06:03:53 AM »

Okay, let's try to tackle the problem area another way. I've changed the ongoing consent part. Could it be considered agreeable?

Senators have 36 hours to object.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2015, 07:55:56 PM »

Well, it was a suggestion, not an amendment. But since people seem okay with it, I'll go ahead and put it through as an amendment.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2015, 06:06:46 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies