Affirmative Consent in Post-Secondary Education Act of 2015 (Final vote)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:49:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Affirmative Consent in Post-Secondary Education Act of 2015 (Final vote)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: Affirmative Consent in Post-Secondary Education Act of 2015 (Final vote)  (Read 4952 times)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2015, 02:05:11 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Hagrid's amendment has been adopted.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2015, 08:28:12 AM »

I am fully prepared to vote for this.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2015, 10:34:03 AM »

I once again have to reiterate that I don't believe this to be the correct approach to deal with such a complex issue. It is, in my opinion, not really the Senate's business to outline into greatest detail all the points mentioned in this bill, I would rather see this dealt at the respective individual educational organizations. I won't vote for this bill thus, not until I see a need for it. I don't now.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2015, 11:16:59 AM »

I support this bill and will vote for it if it's come to a final vote.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2015, 11:20:09 AM »

I'm happy with this
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2015, 01:59:55 PM »

I would like to make one more amendment tonight. Give me that wiggle room? I really believe there's a way to make this legislation friendly to most of us here without sacrificing its core measures. Right now, I'm worried the bill will fail. I want it to pass.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #81 on: April 28, 2015, 09:50:25 AM »

I'd like to congratulate the Senate on the way that it has handled this bill and reached a compromise that seems to be acceptable to most.

I look forward to seeing Senator Hagrid's final amendments, and I hope the bill will be passed in the coming days.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2015, 10:49:23 AM »

Oh shyte. I totally let this fade off my radar. I'll look at it tonight. Promise. If I don't, feel free to attack my office with torches and pitchforks.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #83 on: April 28, 2015, 10:52:35 AM »

Oh shyte. I totally let this fade off my radar. I'll look at it tonight. Promise. If I don't, feel free to attack my office with torches and pitchforks.

I didn't even look at the date on your last post, so you fooled me! Grin
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #84 on: April 28, 2015, 12:08:09 PM »

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #85 on: April 28, 2015, 03:15:39 PM »

I was going to post this picture Tongue.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #86 on: April 28, 2015, 04:26:44 PM »

If we are going to keep one free move, it's probably best to just maintain the status quo rather than allow people to move around several times in the first week.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2015, 05:09:37 PM »

Wrong thread, I think. Tongue
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2015, 10:46:36 PM »

As promised, here is an amendment.

Some will argue that I butchered the bill, but what I think I've done is simplify it. I recognize the importance of strong disciplinary processes on-campus, but I also recognize that we probably shouldn't dictate exactly how things should be done. I thus centred this section on the overarching "themes" we wish to preserve/promote.

What is now Section 4 has admittedly been cut down, but I tried to keep the items that were at least related to helping victims. I don't know how this will go, but I figured it's worth a try. As it is, I don't think the bill will pass. Maybe the amendment will have enough good things in it for enough people to make this work.

Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #89 on: April 28, 2015, 11:23:58 PM »

Those are certainly lengthy changes, but I understand, in principle, their necessity to make this bill both acceptable and workable.  As I said at the beginning of this debate, I was not wedded to any one proposal or means of solution, but rather to the solution itself.  I want, and I believe the entire Senate wants, a bold and effective way to fight sexual assault and rape on college campuses.  I still believe that this bill will do that.  The bargaining chip of federal funding remains untouched, which, more than any other provision in this bill, ensures that it will be successful.  I further believe that Senator Hagrid's amendment introduces more flexibility into the process so that each concerned institution can develop the most effective program for their respective campus.  That is as it should be - there is no use in having one dogma for the entire nation if it proves to be so inflexible and unwavering that it does not work.

I always try to be an optimist, and with this legislation I am very optimistic about true success.  I support the proposed amendments and again ask the Senate to pass the larger bill.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #90 on: April 29, 2015, 12:41:11 PM »

Your amendment certainly is a lengthy step in the, in my opinion, right direction, Hagrid. It does, to an extent, away with my main point of critique, the in my eyes far too extensive and, yes, even confining spirit and nature of the bill, largely replacing it with a way that resembles more recommendations and impetus, which I as stated far prefer.

I doubt that the sponsor will agree to any more changes to this bill, but since we have come a far way with this, will you allow me until tomorrow for reconsideration, if I can support this as stands or offer some sort of adaptions myself. Thank you.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #91 on: April 29, 2015, 12:56:51 PM »

I'm not so enthusiastic about this, but the Hagrid's amendment is a step in the right direction.
Again, I have still doubts about it, but I'll support the Hagrid's amendment and I'll evaluate if it can be supported in a final vote.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #92 on: April 29, 2015, 05:33:17 PM »

Senators have 36 hours to object.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2015, 12:21:01 PM »

As said, I support this amendment.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2015, 01:39:05 PM »

I don't support taking funding out of this bill, as the senate one of our principle powers to is stipulate regulations and laws through funding. If I'm right this amendment would basically cut down the role of the Federal Government in pushing through the changes-I can't support that.

I'll be voting against this amendment
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #95 on: April 30, 2015, 04:20:41 PM »

Please Blair, could you *explicitly* express your opposition if you object please?

Senators, a vote is now open, please, vote AYE NAY or Abstain.
As promised, here is an amendment.

Some will argue that I butchered the bill, but what I think I've done is simplify it. I recognize the importance of strong disciplinary processes on-campus, but I also recognize that we probably shouldn't dictate exactly how things should be done. I thus centred this section on the overarching "themes" we wish to preserve/promote.

What is now Section 4 has admittedly been cut down, but I tried to keep the items that were at least related to helping victims. I don't know how this will go, but I figured it's worth a try. As it is, I don't think the bill will pass. Maybe the amendment will have enough good things in it for enough people to make this work.

Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #96 on: April 30, 2015, 08:17:53 PM »

NAY
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #97 on: April 30, 2015, 09:16:23 PM »

Most of this amendment is okay, but like Senator Blair I don't know why we would get rid of the funding part, especially because we've given schools considerable leeway to implement these policies in a way they think best fits their culture, needs, institutions, etc. If even after this the school still refuses to implement some version of the policy, then I don't think there's any problem with cutting their funding.

Thus, a reluctant NAY.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #98 on: May 01, 2015, 01:24:40 AM »

I object the amendment.

Nay
Cranberry
TheCranberry