Kerry or Romney: Who came closer to winning the presidency?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:05:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Kerry or Romney: Who came closer to winning the presidency?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Kerry or Romney: Who came closer to winning the presidency?  (Read 5032 times)
emcee0
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 10, 2015, 02:28:05 AM »

Out of these two Massachusetts challengers and were both considered flip floppers, who came closer to winning the election?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 02:44:35 AM »

Uh...am I missing something here? The answer is objectively Kerry. He only needed to swing one state to win, Romney needed to swing multiple.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 03:51:36 AM »

Kerry was 2.1% away from the presidency, Romney was 5.4% away.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 01:17:05 PM »

Yeah, I don't see how this is even up for debate.
bobloblaw
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 05:56:37 PM »

According to this very site:
Romney was 3.86% and Kerry was 2.5%

ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 12:26:30 AM »

According to this very site:
Romney was 3.86% and Kerry was 2.5%

For the popular vote, but the Electoral College elects the president. Ohio was the tipping point in 2004 (2.1%), Colorado was the tipping point in 2012 (5.4%).
emcee0
Canada

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 06:20:44 PM »

I guess the question I was trying to raise is who was the more effective challenger?
DS0816
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 10:34:03 AM »
« Edited: April 13, 2015, 12:52:06 PM by DS0816 »

A 2012 Mitt Romney needed to shift 7.27 percentage points nationwide of the 7.26 percentage points margin by which John McCain lost the 2008 presidential election in order to win a 2012 Republican pickup of the U.S. Popular Vote by a minimum margin of 0.01 percent.

The amount of states Mitt Romney was able to shift to that level were just nine: President Obama's home state Illinois; Indiana (a Republican pickup); Missouri; Montana; North Dakota; South Dakota; Utah; West Virginia; and Wyoming.

Romney failed to shift the remaining, double-digit, electoral-vote Republican base states—Texas, Georgia, Arizona, and Tennessee—to the levels necessary. The b.s. noise made during the election season, with speculation on Election Night regarding whether Romney might win over the popular vote, and even with some post-election analyses provided little or no use. (I don't think they intended to.) 2012 was not a close election. It was a unique election. (Incumbents, re-elected to second terms, historically performer better with re-elections than first-term elections.) The shifting of fewer than ten states to the [popular-vote margin] level necessary was merely double the success with what had happened with 1996's losing Republican nominee Bob Dole. (Dole managed to get just four states—Alaska; Colorado [a Republican pickup]; Kansas; and Wyoming—to deliver a shift of at least 5.57 percentage points after the 1992 unseating of George Bush's 5.56 percentage points loss of the popular vote.)

By comparison to this: John Kerry's failure to flip Ohio, in 2004, by a raw-vote margin of 118,601 votes, as the state carried for George W. Bush, was obviously a lot closer than Mitt Romney's 2012 performance.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 10:48:49 AM »

I guess the question I was trying to raise is who was the more effective challenger?

Kind of impossible to ignore the numbers, but even without them the answer has to be Kerry.
Unlike Romney Kerry was put in charge of an already sinking ship.  Really, you could argue that the pro-peace hippie narrative was in as soon as Howard Dean announced his run for president.  While Obama certainly had the foresight to implicate his opponent more than a year before the election, it wasn't until the nomination was Game Set Romney that he had it down.

Not to mention that up to maybe a few days before election the 2004 election was up in the air.  Only the naive thought Romney would win in 2012 despite having a much better political climate to challenge an incumbent.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 12:07:00 PM »

If Kerry had won Ohio, he would have won the presidency. So, objectively, Kerry was much closer to being President than Mitt Romney, who would have needed to win like Ohio and 3-4 other states.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 01:12:29 PM »

If Kerry had won Ohio, he would have won the presidency. So, objectively, Kerry was much closer to being President than Mitt Romney, who would have needed to win like Ohio and 3-4 other states.

To continue on with the ship theme, Kerry is the guy who became captain after the former captain shot himself rather than face drowning to death.  He is able to get the boat to view within an offshore oil derrick that signals to a rescue team to save his crew while he valiantly tries to fix the hole in the boat.  He is presumed dead for a couple of years until he is found living on Boca Boca with a hot tanned native who has been mending his war wounds.

Mitt Romney is the idiot who ran the Titanic into the iceberg.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 06:05:23 PM »
« Edited: April 14, 2015, 06:19:15 PM by OC »

Kerry obviously would have won had OH had moved to touched screen alot sooner. Dimpled chads were alot confusing to voters and it was still a problem in IL and OH. We will never know, but one can only hoped it to be so, since the state was so close and some provisional ballots werent counted.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 12:59:43 PM »

Kerry is the obvious answer.
bobloblaw
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 12:59:55 PM »

Kerry obviously would have won had OH had moved to touched screen alot sooner. Dimpled chads were alot confusing to voters and it was still a problem in IL and OH. We will never know, but one can only hoped it to be so, since the state was so close and some provisional ballots werent counted.

BS...OH's PVI would have to be solid D for Kerry to win. Ohio has never had a D+ PVI.

For Kerry to win Ohio, the PVI would have had to have been nearly D+3. Something OH has never been.

Too bad you reject math and statistics in favor of partisan emotion
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 01:19:50 PM »

Yeah, Kerry should of picked Mark Warner as VP, and the spending in VA could have possibly tipped OH, but the answer to the question, wasn't who actually won, who came closest, it was clearly Kerry, in favor of a better VP.
Cape Verde
asianzzang
Rookie
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2015, 06:29:11 PM »

I don't have an answer, but I don't think the questioner expected pure statistic numbers as an answer.
emcee0
Canada

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2015, 12:27:26 AM »

No I'm trying to ask who ran the better challenger campaign, results aside
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2015, 09:06:27 AM »

Still Kerry.

There is nothing Kerry really did that equates to the disastrous foreign trips Romney took. Romney literally insulted every country he went to...almost as if he had a gift for it.

Then there's "47%", "binders full of women", and so on.

What does Kerry have? "I voted for Iraq before I voted against it?"...Not comparable.

Kerry's more like Tom Dewey the Do-Nothing than Romney.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2015, 09:49:58 AM »

Probably John Kerry, as he only needed to swing Ohio to win. In order for Mitt Romney to have won, he would have needed to swing Florida, Ohio, Colorado, Iowa and New Hampshire away from Obama to win.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2015, 03:40:37 PM »

Still Kerry. Obama's approval numbers were fairly weak from the very beginning, but Romney couldn't capitalize on it. Kerry managed to whittle down Dubya's once strong approval into a near deadlock, then came one state away from a victory.
bobloblaw
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2015, 12:15:49 AM »

Still Kerry. Obama's approval numbers were fairly weak from the very beginning, but Romney couldn't capitalize on it. Kerry managed to whittle down Dubya's once strong approval into a near deadlock, then came one state away from a victory.

No, Bush's approval rating rose through out 2004. Bush's had mid 40s approval in early 2004. Every single president running for re-election, including even Carter had rising approvals as the elections year progressed.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2015, 01:38:20 AM »

No, Bush's approval rating rose through out 2004. Bush's had mid 40s approval in early 2004. Every single president running for re-election, including even Carter had rising approvals as the elections year progressed.

Bush's approval rating was very high in January '04. It fell as he gained scrutiny after the Democratic primary, then rose again near the election.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_bush_job_approval-904.html
bobloblaw
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2015, 04:09:46 PM »

Bush's approval rating was very high in January '04. It fell as he gained scrutiny after the Democratic primary, then rose again near the election.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_bush_job_approval-904.html

Your link shows nothing of the sort.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/116500/presidential-approval-ratings-george-bush.aspx

What I see is an approval rating at or under 50% for the entire year of 2004 with an uptick from mid 2004 until the end. You fail (the peak in late 2003 was due to capturing Saddam Hussein)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2015, 04:39:34 PM »

http://www.gallup.com/poll/116500/presidential-approval-ratings-george-bush.aspx

What I see is an approval rating at or under 50% for the entire year of 2004 with an uptick from mid 2004 until the end. You fail (the peak in late 2003 was due to capturing Saddam Hussein)

So apparently you're blind and can't read your own links. Both the aggregate and Gallup show Bush with a high approval rating in January 2004.
bobloblaw
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2015, 02:35:25 PM »

So apparently you're blind and can't read your own links. Both the aggregate and Gallup show Bush with a high approval rating in January 2004.

Do you not see the bounce in Dec 2003??? It was short lived. But the trend is upward for Bush though out 2004, not downward. Youre focused on a one time event rather than looking at the trend.

Youre really not good at understanding long term trends. So I am right in that your job you dont analyze data and youre not very analytical. Math isnt your strength
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies