Welcome beowulf
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:13:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Welcome beowulf
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Welcome beowulf  (Read 3469 times)
W in 2004
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 28, 2005, 08:55:40 PM »

Hey everyone, welcome my friend beowulf to the forum.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 08:57:34 PM »

Welcome beowulf.  Tell us a little about yourself.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 09:12:37 PM »

beowulf is a friend of mine from college.

Cool.  Is he logged in now?  What college do you go to?

I'm glad to see you guys are in the right party. Smiley
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 09:14:29 PM »

My 5th century Saxon is a little rusty.

Phaeorn, Beowolf.  gretingword.  greta. and halettan.
any friend of Mitrandir is a gastly German beast that chased my people into the Kelt hinterlands.  Still, I hope you find what you're looking for.  Peace, from the Left Wing of the Republican party.
beowulf
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 09:21:36 PM »

Hey everyone, I am beowulf.  I live in Pennsylvania, I'm a conservative, and I go to a community college in Pennsylvania.  I take classes there so that I can get my high school diploma, since I'm homeschooled.  I am a Christian, and also a Boy Scout.  I also play guitar.  Anything else you'd like to know?  Feel free to send me a message.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 09:25:51 PM »

Welcome! Smiley

Have you taken the Political Compass (http://www.politicalcompass.org/)? That would be very interesting to see the result of.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 09:27:12 PM »

Hey everyone, I am beowulf.  I live in Pennsylvania, I'm a conservative, and I go to a community college in Pennsylvania.  I take classes there so that I can get my high school diploma, since I'm homeschooled.  I am a Christian, and also a Boy Scout.  I also play guitar.  Anything else you'd like to know?  Feel free to send me a message.

When did you start being home-schooled?  How do you like it?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2005, 09:33:59 PM »

It's always great to see another member from the Keystone State, especially a Republican. Welcome and enjoy yourself.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2005, 09:52:23 PM »

Welcome Beowulf.

If you are worried in the least about being homeschooled, don't be.  After 13 years of public education.  I was told once that World War Two took place.  It was in fifth grade and they mentioned that Costa Rica declared war on Japen a few hours before the US did.

It's a good thing I watched Hogan's Hero.  :-)

Ah, you didn't miss much.
W in 2004
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2005, 10:25:28 PM »

any friend of Mitrandir is a gastly German beast that chased my people into the Kelt hinterlands.  Still, I hope you find what you're looking for.  Peace, from the Left Wing of the Republican party.

I am not that radical, Angus.  My political compas score is
Economic Left/Right: 3.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.54
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2005, 11:51:50 PM »

It's always great to see another member from the Keystone State, especially a Republican. Welcome and enjoy yourself.

Good God! How many of them are their? Tongue
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2005, 07:06:39 AM »

Welcome to the forums beowulf!
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2005, 09:53:15 AM »

Smiley  me too.  I have a red accoustic Martin and a cherry heritage sunburst Les Paul electric.  (epiphone actually, but I carry it around in a Gibson case).  Are you doing shows?  That's fun.  Great way to impress women (or men, whatever).  Welcome.  Well, "Greta un Halettan", I should say in honor of your literary tastes.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2005, 10:17:44 AM »

Indeed.

LWRP
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2005, 05:09:59 PM »

good kayaking in Pennsylvania.  good schools too, apparently.  the republicans from Pennsylvania are some of the best posters here.  I find that from the far right Kill 'em all let God sort 'em out Republicans to the touchy-feely Sharpton Republicans, and everything in between, right accross the spectrum, that states produces some well-versed Republicans.  Generally, if I see a R-PA avatar, I look to see what it has to say.  Sometimes, of course I recoil in horror from what I read, and other times I'm amused, and still at other times I'm all like Right On Man!  But either way, they're generally interesting and good reads.  Presumably some of this comes from interactions with the locals, who apparently are benefiting from the CC system in PA.  Good community college system is not a bad deal.  CA and TX boast of theirs, but in the first case they're going broke and in the second they're struggling.

As far as the leftists I know from Pennsylvania.  The guy next door got his PhD in microbiology at Penn State.  Canadian.  Vegetarian too.  nice guy.  we give each other a hard time over politics, but he's a fairly well-informed leftist, I'll grant.  There's also chris matthews.  Big ego.  even bigger head.  and my headmaster from the early 90s when I was a high-school calculus teacher went to Villanova.  Nice guy.  About 6'7" or so.  Huge.  One black son and one Korean son.  He was a conservative democrat.  Now that I think about it, most of the democrats I know from Pennsylvania are pretty well-centered as well.  This is, no doubt, a credit to that state's fine educational system.

also, I am convinced that the most magnificient mullets come from Pennsylvania.

But those hills and toll roads and the snow and frequent police traps totally suck.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2005, 10:19:37 PM »

But those hills and toll roads and the snow and frequent police traps totally suck.

I've heard about the speed traps on the Pennsylvania Turnpike.  I hate that road.  It's like driving through a narrow canyon.  But I never actually got nailed there, though I know a few people who have.  Did you ever have the honor of a roadside introduction to a Pennsylvania statie, angus?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2005, 09:46:08 AM »

actually, yes.  but I have to admit I was able to talk him out of it, so I shouldn't complain.  I also was severely reprimanded for making a U-turn on the turnpike and showing up at an exit toll booth on ...76? I think...and the woman told me I could have been charged huge fine.    It is in neighboring Ohio were I always manage to get tickets, but my luck in Pennsylvania has been good so far.   PA authorities have been very nice to me so far, but I've also heard many stories from others.  Mostly I was referring to the artificially low speed limits in that state.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2005, 07:52:53 PM »

actually, yes.  but I have to admit I was able to talk him out of it, so I shouldn't complain.  I also was severely reprimanded for making a U-turn on the turnpike and showing up at an exit toll booth on ...76? I think...and the woman told me I could have been charged huge fine.    It is in neighboring Ohio were I always manage to get tickets, but my luck in Pennsylvania has been good so far.   PA authorities have been very nice to me so far, but I've also heard many stories from others.  Mostly I was referring to the artificially low speed limits in that state.

My brother used to live in Ohio and he said there's a huge amount of enforcement there, and he used to get tickets on a regular basis when he lived there.

I've definitely heard lots of stories about Pennsylvania.  I had a real close call in Virginia a couple of summers ago.  I was doing about 85 (in a 65 zone), leading the pack in the left lane, and a statie came racing up the median.  He pulled onto the road several cars behind me with lights flashing, and as each car moved out of the lane, he got closer to me.  I resigned myself to another ticket, and prepared to pull over.  But he suddenly pulled over the car right behind me, so I got lucky.

Speed limits in general are artificially low in lots of places, including Connecticut.  What's the worst ticket you ever got?  Mine was for doing 83 in a 55 about 8 years ago, in Connecticut.  I've had a few others, but my attitude is, if I'm going to get a ticket, it may as well be worth it, so that's my favorite ticket. Smiley
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2005, 03:33:49 PM »

worst by cost?  over two hundred dollars.    worst in reality?  my first.  I was 16, had had my license for maybe a month.  mother was in the car.  the whole nine yards.  I kept mentioning my mother to the cop.  even to the point of suggesting that I could drop her off and come back, if necessary, just so we could avoid that embarassment, and he could still give me a ticket later.  He wouldn't budge.  Bastard.  Never really liked cops since.  Except for one that let me do her.  But that's another story.  Anyway, I've never tried to outrun them, but have successfully outsmarted them but turning into neighborhoods in the dark, pulling into an open garage, and killing the lights.  Usually you have a few minutes before a surprised homeowner emerges.  That's all it takes, really.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2005, 09:02:46 PM »
« Edited: May 04, 2005, 08:23:28 PM by dazzleman »

worst by cost?  over two hundred dollars.    worst in reality?  my first.  I was 16, had had my license for maybe a month.  mother was in the car.  the whole nine yards.  I kept mentioning my mother to the cop.  even to the point of suggesting that I could drop her off and come back, if necessary, just so we could avoid that embarassment, and he could still give me a ticket later.  He wouldn't budge.  Bastard.  Never really liked cops since.  Except for one that let me do her.  But that's another story.  Anyway, I've never tried to outrun them, but have successfully outsmarted them but turning into neighborhoods in the dark, pulling into an open garage, and killing the lights.  Usually you have a few minutes before a surprised homeowner emerges.  That's all it takes, really.

Dude, you're killing me.  I can't believe you got a ticket with your mom in the car.  Even I never suffered that indignity. Smiley  It's best to get a ticket with one of your male friends in the car.  They understand, and you get no judgment from them about your driving.

Your story about outsmarting cops reminds me of something I did once.  I was driving on this curvy parkway, doing about 15 mph over the speed limit, and a cop suddenly came out of a hiding spot and started after me.  We lost sight of each other around a curve, and right then, there was an intersection and a traffic light.  I thought fast and turned left, exiting the parkway, and just drove around for a little while in the residential side streets off the parkway.  I successfully lost him.

Had I been a little more alert, I could have done something like this with my last ticket.  I blew by a cop so fast I didn't see him, and it took him over a mile to catch up to me.  Within that mile, there was a highway entrance that would have allowed me to blend in with traffic and probably lose him, had I gotten on the highway.  But at that point I didn't even know he was after me.  When I saw the flashing lights behind me, I thought he was going to an emergency, because I wasn't even aware of passing a cop.  I soon learned I was the emergency. Smiley
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2005, 10:33:40 AM »

Some folks call us "freedom fighters" apparently.

I'm trying to think of how fast I've been ticketed for, but I can't really remember.  I know my last ticket was in New Mexico about 3 years ago or so.  The cop ticketed me for 95, but I'm quite sure he was giving me a break.  I paid the ticket, but it has never showed up on my insurance premium.  And I'm certainly not volunteering that info.  Some things about Ashcroft's vision of uniformity and information-sharing I never really liked.  This is definitely one of those aspects.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2005, 08:26:54 PM »

Some folks call us "freedom fighters" apparently.

I'm trying to think of how fast I've been ticketed for, but I can't really remember.  I know my last ticket was in New Mexico about 3 years ago or so.  The cop ticketed me for 95, but I'm quite sure he was giving me a break.  I paid the ticket, but it has never showed up on my insurance premium.  And I'm certainly not volunteering that info.  Some things about Ashcroft's vision of uniformity and information-sharing I never really liked.  This is definitely one of those aspects.

95 mph?  Man, that's impressive. Smiley  If I got busted for that speed up here, they'd probably haul me off in cuffs.  I've seen the holding cells at my local police dept., and don't think I'd relish spending the night there.

Yeah, we're freedom fighters. Smiley  I'd never lay claim to that.  I'm just a guy that enjoys driving fast, and doesn't particularly care about the consequences.  Truthfully, the fact that it's illegal only makes it more enjoyable.

Out-of-state tickets rarely show up in your insurance premium, so you got lucky there.  But you really should have called your insurance company and told them about your ticket. Smiley
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2009, 01:53:25 AM »

East Coast Republican: Welcome beowulf!!11!1
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2009, 01:55:25 AM »

Again, why are we bumping 4+ year old threads?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2009, 01:57:18 AM »

Twelve Am troll time Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length