Opinion of eCigs (vaping)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:16:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of eCigs (vaping)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Well?
Fine

Bad!

Jury's out

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 76

Author Topic: Opinion of eCigs (vaping)  (Read 10318 times)
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 10, 2015, 04:09:12 PM »

Obviously an alternate that's not nearly as bad, that the nanny state crowd has to poo-poo because god forbid anyone get around their nicotine addiction with a real solution and not their preconceived notion of what it means to "quit". 

Vape on!
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 04:18:18 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2015, 04:54:58 PM by Charlotte Hebdo »

Very positive.

Eliminates passive smoking, which is the amoral part of smoking, and limits the risk to the smoker alone.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 04:29:07 PM »

I think that a lot of the response to them has been somewhat revealing in showing that anti-smoking zealots hate smokers more then being concerned with public health since there's no evidence to suggest that they contribute to second hand smoke.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 04:40:27 PM »

I think that a lot of the response to them has been somewhat revealing in showing that anti-smoking zealots hate smokers more then being concerned with public health since there's no evidence to suggest that they contribute to second hand smoke.

Precisely.  It's about them, not the smoker.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 05:32:57 PM »

Well, as a smoker who'd like to quit, I don't care for their taste or the sensation.  From a public health perspective, as they carry many of the same risks (and potentially others) as traditional cigarettes, it's probably not a viable alternative and should be scrutinised to the same regulatory extent that tobacco is.  Not to say that I'd discourage anyone from using it; my brother used one to avoid cigarettes and it seemed to work for him.  But I don't see any indication that it is some sort of cure for rampant nicotine addiction.  Secondhand smoke is just one problem, and admittedly a major one, presented by smoking.  The costs associated with ailments that smokers experience still ultimately affect all of us.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 05:46:15 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2015, 05:48:24 PM by HockeyDude »

Well, as a smoker who'd like to quit, I don't care for their taste or the sensation.  From a public health perspective, as they carry many of the same risks (and potentially others) as traditional cigarettes, it's probably not a viable alternative and should be scrutinised to the same regulatory extent that tobacco is.  Not to say that I'd discourage anyone from using it; my brother used one to avoid cigarettes and it seemed to work for him.  But I don't see any indication that it is some sort of cure for rampant nicotine addiction.  Secondhand smoke is just one problem, and admittedly a major one, presented by smoking.  The costs associated with ailments that smokers experience still ultimately affect all of us.

How so?  There is no tobacco in them.  Nicotine in and of itself is not what kills the smoker.  I know these are very obvious to you but how can inhaling tobacco smoke and flavored water vapor carry the same risks?  None of this has been proven, and most anti-eCig propaganda is funded by

1. Pharmaceutical and insurance industry, who want you to chill out with their poison.

2. Tobacco companies, obviously.

The enemy of thy enemy is thy friend, yes?  This is why the common man should be so fed up with the system in which we live. You MAY NOT have your cake and eat it, too, unless someone more powerful than you is profiting.  And the eCig manufacturers are pipsqueaks compared to Pharm Inc. and their collection of monsters.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 06:21:31 PM »

Well, as a smoker who'd like to quit, I don't care for their taste or the sensation.  From a public health perspective, as they carry many of the same risks (and potentially others) as traditional cigarettes, it's probably not a viable alternative and should be scrutinised to the same regulatory extent that tobacco is.  Not to say that I'd discourage anyone from using it; my brother used one to avoid cigarettes and it seemed to work for him.  But I don't see any indication that it is some sort of cure for rampant nicotine addiction.  Secondhand smoke is just one problem, and admittedly a major one, presented by smoking.  The costs associated with ailments that smokers experience still ultimately affect all of us.

How so?  There is no tobacco in them.  Nicotine in and of itself is not what kills the smoker.  I know these are very obvious to you but how can inhaling tobacco smoke and flavored water vapor carry the same risks?  None of this has been proven, and most anti-eCig propaganda is funded by

1. Pharmaceutical and insurance industry, who want you to chill out with their poison.

The enemy of thy enemy is thy friend, yes?  This is why the common man should be so fed up with the system in which we live. You MAY NOT have your cake and eat it, too, unless someone more powerful than you is profiting.  And the eCig manufacturers are pipsqueaks compared to Pharm Inc. and their collection of monsters.

To be honest, links to the tobacco industry are of great concern because any claims they make about health are obviously inherently dubious.  My understanding is that any product with nicotine, even if not containing tobacco, still carries health risks as nicotine itself is one of the thousands of carcinogens in tobacco smoke.  If smoking is to be addressed from a public health perspective, it seems imperative to discourage nicotine use.  Anyone still addicted to nicotine but attempting to abstain from cigarettes would seem far more likely to end up smoking than someone who neither smokes nor vapes.  It is true that some alternatives like Swedish snus might be healthier than smoking, but it's already illegal (at least in Australia) for cigarettes to be branded as 'low-tar' or 'low-nicotine' because to do so would imply a 'safer' or 'healthier' cigarette, and the medical community agrees that there is no such thing.  As for snus and other smokeless tobacco, it's illegal here, although I have tried it.  I didn't care for it either (or indeed, cigars, pipe tobacco, or any variety other than plain old regular flavoured cigarettes).  And indeed, it wouldn't be my prerogative to try to dissuade anyone from using whatever method of replacement therapy they felt might work for them.  There are disposable eCigs sold here that don't contain nicotine, and they are absolutely pointless, and I haven't seen very many people using them at all (they are available virtually anywhere that sells cigarettes).
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 06:31:21 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2015, 06:34:55 PM by Snowguy716 »

Well, as a smoker who'd like to quit, I don't care for their taste or the sensation.  From a public health perspective, as they carry many of the same risks (and potentially others) as traditional cigarettes, it's probably not a viable alternative and should be scrutinised to the same regulatory extent that tobacco is.  Not to say that I'd discourage anyone from using it; my brother used one to avoid cigarettes and it seemed to work for him.  But I don't see any indication that it is some sort of cure for rampant nicotine addiction.  Secondhand smoke is just one problem, and admittedly a major one, presented by smoking.  The costs associated with ailments that smokers experience still ultimately affect all of us.

How so?  There is no tobacco in them.  Nicotine in and of itself is not what kills the smoker.  I know these are very obvious to you but how can inhaling tobacco smoke and flavored water vapor carry the same risks?  None of this has been proven, and most anti-eCig propaganda is funded by

The enemy of thy enemy is thy friend, yes?  This is why the common man should be so fed up with the system in which we live. You MAY NOT have your cake and eat it, too, unless someone more powerful than you is profiting.  And the eCig manufacturers are pipsqueaks compared to Pharm Inc. and their collection of monsters.

To be honest, links to the tobacco industry are of great concern because any claims they make about health are obviously inherently dubious.  My understanding is that any product with nicotine, even if not containing tobacco, still carries health risks as nicotine itself is one of the thousands of carcinogens in tobacco smoke.  If smoking is to be addressed from a public health perspective, it seems imperative to discourage nicotine use.  Anyone still addicted to nicotine but attempting to abstain from cigarettes would seem far more likely to end up smoking than someone who neither smokes nor vapes.  It is true that some alternatives like Swedish snus might be healthier than smoking, but it's already illegal (at least in Australia) for cigarettes to be branded as 'low-tar' or 'low-nicotine' because to do so would imply a 'safer' or 'healthier' cigarette, and the medical community agrees that there is no such thing.  As for snus and other smokeless tobacco, it's illegal here, although I have tried it.  I didn't care for it either (or indeed, cigars, pipe tobacco, or any variety other than plain old regular flavoured cigarettes).  And indeed, it wouldn't be my prerogative to try to dissuade anyone from using whatever method of replacement therapy they felt might work for them.  There are disposable eCigs sold here that don't contain nicotine, and they are absolutely pointless, and I haven't seen very many people using them at all (they are available virtually anywhere that sells cigarettes).
Ever eaten bread? Cancer.  Ever eaten cooked tomatoes?  Lycopene and....cancer.  Ever eaten charred bits on food?  Holy sh**t cancer.  Gotten a tan?  Cancer.  Drank liquor? Cancer.  Breathed air in a city? Cancer.

Ebowed...your hang ups about what you put in your body are....your problems.  Vaping is safer than smoking.  Period.

Take the risk of cancer out and you will starve and asphyxiate yourself.  You have an argument with dirty air or spoiled food or second hand smoke.  Beyond that, physician heal THYSELF.

BALANCE
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 06:54:51 PM »

Ebowed...your hang ups about what you put in your body are....your problems.  Vaping is safer than smoking.  Period.

Absolutely; I agree.  It's just that I support regulating it in the same way as tobacco (which it largely seems to be, over here - i.e. must be 18 to purchase, I haven't seen it advertised outside of the Internet, etc.).  I think anything that gets less people smoking cigarettes is a good thing.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 07:28:08 PM »

Ebowed...your hang ups about what you put in your body are....your problems.  Vaping is safer than smoking.  Period.

Absolutely; I agree.  It's just that I support regulating it in the same way as tobacco (which it largely seems to be, over here - i.e. must be 18 to purchase, I haven't seen it advertised outside of the Internet, etc.).  I think anything that gets less people smoking cigarettes is a good thing.
Oh, okay.  I think it should be allowed in public establishments.  But limited advertising (nicotine advertises itself quite well) and no children... Except when appropriate to treat acute medical issues.  Nicotine helps schizophrenics immensely because it calms anxiety and paranoia.  Vaping is literally a Godsend to them.  The benefits of Nicotine and few of the drawbacks.

But nicotine alone doesn't cure it.  But it helps anxious people calm down.  The smoke/coffee break drives a lot of production in this world.  How dare I take that away?
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 07:36:22 PM »

Jury's out on some of it, but generally beneficial for those looking to ween off more-harmful cigarettes. I much prefer the taste and sensation from them to cigarettes, but I've always disliked cigarettes and been a fan of hookah.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 07:38:07 PM »

#christiandadswhovape
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2015, 07:53:49 PM »

I'm sure we'll find out in the 2030s that they are just as bad as cigarettes.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2015, 07:55:00 PM »

Seems much better than regular cigarettes. I understand how hard quitting an addiction is and vaping is certainly more conscientious. Plus my debate coach vapes. Freedom Practice.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2015, 10:34:41 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2015, 10:37:23 PM by Tik »

As I've said many times, I have a high opinion of them as an alternative to smoking, and I wish the Australians were more open to them because they are only available sans nicotine. WHY AUSTRALIA? I actually managed to find some with nicotine at first and completely quit smoking...  but then they cracked down and I wasn't ready to go through withdrawal so I had to go back to breathing smoke. Ridiculous.

Nicotine itself isn't that bad, it's the delivery that kills you.

It's still better to be on nothing though.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2015, 11:40:00 PM »

Nowhere near as hostile to them as I am to cigarettes, as they are far less unhealthy than them. And also biased because one of my favorite people in the world manages a store dedicated to them (met her through Ingress, but she's a wonderful person in all ways.)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2015, 05:51:22 AM »

Me and the wife started doing it...maybe 2 months ago.  It cut down on the amount of real cigs for a bit (her more than me), but never entirely and we've both slowed down on them (the ecigs) over time.  I've gotten accustomed to using them, but still have yet to find a flavor I really like.  Most of them are of the "sweet" or "fruity" variety and that's just not what I'm looking for in a smoke.  I'm using a Big Red (cinnamon gum brand) flavor now and it's growing on me a bit and I went through a pipe tobacco flavored bottle pretty quick that I'll probably get again, but still nothing I really enjoy.  I want a flavor that tastes like tobacco, why is that so hard?  The store we go to has several hundred flavors and only two that I don't hate...uggg.

Plus a real cig just hits the spot sometimes (especially after a big meal or during a long drive).
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2015, 05:59:05 AM »

I guess they're safer than regular cigarettes, but should still have plenty of regulations.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2015, 12:12:13 PM »

Obviously far better than "real" tobacco, both in terms of harm to the user and secondhand smoke.  If it mainly serves to displace cigs, that's something to celebrate. That's not to say it's completely harmless, of course, but it's a step in the right direction.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2015, 01:20:53 PM »

should be banned.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2015, 01:27:03 PM »

you know who the biggest lobbyists for banning e-cigs are, right?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2015, 01:43:01 PM »

And then what about real cigarettes?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2015, 06:36:51 PM »

Joking aside, FF.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2015, 08:05:30 AM »

unfortunately real cigarettes cant be banned.  too many people addicted.  wouldnt work etc.  the toothpaste is out of the tube, so to speak.

i believe in making cigarettes and all forms of tobacco as expensive as possible.  obviously i believe in very tough anti smoking measures.

the problem with e-cigs is that they are a con.  they were sort of introduced as a (harmless) way for folks to quit smoking.  what is happening is a lot of non-smokers (ie teens) are starting to use them and getting hooked.  we really dont know how dangerous these things are.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2015, 09:23:27 AM »

But even if they don't help people quit, they are FAR less dangerous than normal cigarettes. Ban them and people will just go back to inhaling tar and all those carcinogens with normal cigarettes.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies