Would you have volunteered to fight in the American Civil War?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 11:27:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Would you have volunteered to fight in the American Civil War?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Well?
Yes, for the Union.

Yes, for the Confederacy.

No, but I'd have gone if my respective side drafted me.

No, I'd have actively resisted being drafted.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 75

Author Topic: Would you have volunteered to fight in the American Civil War?  (Read 3266 times)
Cory
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2015, 09:03:37 PM »

Yeah, right.

It's easy to say on the internet that you would do think knowing that it won't actually happen. The American Civil War was a brutal, horrible war involving horrendous injuries and maiming. I would've gone if drafted (Union) but I'm not gonna sit here and pretend I'm some kind of hard-ass.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2015, 09:06:26 PM »

Yeah, right.

It's easy to say on the internet that you would do think knowing that it won't actually happen. The American Civil War was a brutal, horrible war involving horrendous injuries and maiming. I would've gone if drafted (Union) but I'm not gonna sit here and pretend I'm some kind of hard-ass.

"I wouldn't, thus nobody would"
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2015, 09:10:56 PM »

Yeah, right.

"I wouldn't, thus nobody would"

That's not my logic, and you know it. Don't be disingenuous. I'm just pointing out that probably most of the people who claim they would eagerly volunteer wouldn't if they actually had to fight in the war in real life.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2015, 01:38:44 AM »

Assuming I was in good enough shape to fight in the first place... I'd like to think I'd volunteer before they drafted me. Plus, crush the confederacy and all that.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2015, 09:22:42 AM »

It's always tasteful to be brave after the war.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2015, 09:58:15 AM »
« Edited: April 12, 2015, 03:31:19 PM by Torie »

I had two great grandfather's who fought in that war, one on each side (the one who fought on the Union side taking two bullets, which he carried to his grave some 70 years later). Obviously where I lived would have a big impact, but I would like to believe that if I lived in the South, I would have had enough good conscience, and character, to have fled and taken up arms against it. Its enterprise and objects were truly evil in every respect.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2015, 02:32:48 PM »

No (coward)
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2015, 02:34:30 PM »

I'd like to think yes, but in all honesty I'd probably pussy out
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2015, 02:47:04 PM »

Yes, I'd have signed up with the Union to help wipe out the traitorous slaveholders and help free the slaves. (Normal)

And help ensure the Northern industrial capitalists would not be deprived of Southern-grown staple crops? And force the white Yankee proletariat to degrade themselves as their wages were undercut by a glut of new Negro labor streaming up from the South after the war?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2015, 02:51:04 PM »

^^

This. In the same way I'd like to think I'd have gone to help the Republicans during the Spanish Civil War had I been alive at the time.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2015, 12:54:41 AM »

1....preferably artillery or intelligence.

Grant turned a number of the heavy artillery regiments defending Washington into infantry because he needed the latter more than the former.  It proved quite a shock to those who thought they'd found a relatively safe berth to serve in.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2015, 12:56:25 AM »

I had two great grandfather's who fought in that war, one on each side (the one who fought on the Union side taking two bullets, which he carried to his grave some 70 years later). Obviously where I lived would have a big impact, but I would like to believe that if I lived in the South, I would have had enough good conscience, and character, to have fled and taken up arms against it. Its enterprise and objects were truly evil in every respect.
If you truly had felt that strongly about slavery, you probably would have left the South well before the war.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2015, 03:21:31 AM »

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2015, 05:41:52 AM »

1....preferably artillery or intelligence.

Grant turned a number of the heavy artillery regiments defending Washington into infantry because he needed the latter more than the former.  It proved quite a shock to those who thought they'd found a relatively safe berth to serve in.
And they often got overrun, had sh**t blow up in their face, had to lug around heavy sh**t, deal with horses and probably a dozen other horrible things I don't know about.  I'd want to do it for the cool engineering involved, the math and the BOOMs, not for the safety.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2015, 08:14:20 AM »

Too weak to fight, but if I weren't I'd volunteer.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2015, 03:01:05 PM »

Yeah, right.

Let's not forget that the conventional wisdom in June 1861 was that the war would be over in a mater of months. Most of those who enlisted prior to Bull Run/ Manassas did so thinking it would be a wonderful adventure and didn't really understand what they were getting into. The average Atlas poster being a young male, it seems highly likely that most of those who've said they would have rushed to enlist probably would have.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies