Policing the Police Act - Political Tracker Polls
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:49:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Policing the Police Act - Political Tracker Polls
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: What is your opinion of this legislative proposal?
Approve

Disapprove

Undecided

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: Policing the Police Act - Political Tracker Polls  (Read 3055 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 11, 2015, 12:36:09 AM »

Since there's been some debate over this proposal and how constitutional it is, here's a poll on the subject. Apologies for not putting up a current version, I lack the time to compile the amendments for the purposes of the poll.

Senate thread here: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=209100.0

Three days.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 02:17:08 AM »

Strongly opposed. The police have issues, but by and large mean well and do good work every day. These sorts of petty revenge measures to destroy law enforcement in Atlasia cannot be brooked.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 10:26:41 AM »

Strongly opposed. The police have issues, but by and large mean well and do good work every day. These sorts of petty revenge measures to destroy law enforcement in Atlasia cannot be brooked.

This captures my feelings very well.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 10:50:03 AM »

This is why I asked early on for the bill to be pulled, knowing good and well its intent would never survive and anything at all coming out of it would be unlikely. If you reasonable cannot get most of what you want, then there is no point in giving the opposition the ability to grandstand like we're seeing here.

The "centrists" and leftesques in this game have a well-documented history in the Senate of "weighing in" on legislation that is too "extreme" for their tastes or has tone and sentiment too crass for their liking, which means they offer one amendment after another to water a bill down into nothingness, with the pretense of course being that "they'd like to vote for it, but it'll need to be heavily amended" or whatever. Except that they never had any intention of voting for any version of the bill whatsoever, and instead use it as an opportunity to destroy legislation that they'll ultimately vote against anyway. It's one of the several reasons I can't respect that type of people.

If you find yourself on the same side as the actual Right in this game while also being a more adept obstructionist, then maybe it's time to embrace reality?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 11:19:28 AM »

This is why I asked early on for the bill to be pulled, knowing good and well its intent would never survive and anything at all coming out of it would be unlikely. If you reasonable cannot get most of what you want, then there is no point in giving the opposition the ability to grandstand like we're seeing here.

The "centrists" and leftesques in this game have a well-documented history in the Senate of "weighing in" on legislation that is too "extreme" for their tastes or has tone and sentiment too crass for their liking, which means they offer one amendment after another to water a bill down into nothingness, with the pretense of course being that "they'd like to vote for it, but it'll need to be heavily amended" or whatever. Except that they never had any intention of voting for any version of the bill whatsoever, and instead use it as an opportunity to destroy legislation that they'll ultimately vote against anyway. It's one of the several reasons I can't respect that type of people.

If you find yourself on the same side as the actual Right in this game while also being a more adept obstructionist, then maybe it's time to embrace reality?

Haha the two best part of the bill-the barring of extreme ideologies and police cameras have both been removed, meaning that the bill is basically just an increase in funding for police forces without any real reform
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 11:42:15 AM »

Oppose.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 11:54:43 AM »

It's very troubling to see the number of little fascists parading around in this country. These are by and large common sense reforms, but the right and their allies will not stand for a single check on the police and their systemic and institutionalized racist brutality.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 12:07:48 PM »

It's very troubling to see the number of little fascists parading around in this country. These are by and large common sense reforms, but the right and their allies will not stand for a single check on the police and their systemic and institutionalized racist brutality.

Interesting... people that disagree with you = fascists
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 12:07:53 PM »

Opposed. And for the record I am getting tired of people going against the law enforcement system of the nation whenever possible (this, trying to cut funding to the Justice Department, the whole militia issue, and so forth).
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 12:15:58 PM »

No, people that think the police should be able to commit whatever violent acts of terror they want without any oversight, that think it's perfectly acceptable for members of the KKK and neo-Nazi groups to join the police force, people that think it's too much of a burden on the police to ask them to kindly not entrap people, people that think we should not have police cameras so that police officers can lie about breaking the law, etc., etc. are fascists.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 02:06:56 PM »

Opposed. And for the record I am getting tired of people going against the law enforcement system of the nation whenever possible (this, trying to cut funding to the Justice Department, the whole militia issue, and so forth).

This opposition to Atlasian law enforcement is a deep running theme, and a curious one given the number of different levels that they have attacked it at. All of those combined with this attempt to neuter the police force leads me to suspect that many on the left are opposed to the existence of law or law enforcement full stop.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2015, 03:24:52 PM »

Yes, I do, because I've 1) read it and 2) I'm not making a concerted effort to misrepresent it for whatever reason - e.g., "attack on law enforcement."
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 05:20:13 PM »

Cute. There are elements of this Bill that I support and have tried to translate to my amendment- but I'm not going to pretend that this Bill was good policy from the outset. It was unworkable and did risk undermining the ability of the good cops out there to do their jobs.

Yes, the more ridiculous elements of the Bill are gone. But I'm not going to say "oh, congrats and thanks for getting rid of something I utterly oppose so I'm going to vote for something that is still littered with unrealistic parts and likely unconstitutional". If I wanted this issue or Bill dead - then my amendmebt wouldn't exist. 
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2015, 12:30:02 AM »

Check the first section of the bill in question, click the linked bill to be repealed and replaced and scroll down until you see "sponsor:".    Tongue
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2015, 01:24:17 AM »

No, people that think the police should be able to commit whatever violent acts of terror they want without any oversight, that think it's perfectly acceptable for members of the KKK and neo-Nazi groups to join the police force, people that think it's too much of a burden on the police to ask them to kindly not entrap people, people that think we should not have police cameras so that police officers can lie about breaking the law, etc., etc. are fascists.

yep. Opposed to the police at all costs.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2015, 01:34:12 AM »

yep. Opposed to the police at all costs.

If the Senator is so concerned about Nazis and Klansmen on the force, what about left-wing radicals like anarchists, Antifas, and Nat Turner Brigade members? Such people could just as easily abuse their authority to undermine the rule of law and punish those they hate. Better bar them from joining the police force too.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2015, 01:48:32 AM »

looking at the amendment currently being voted on .....  why does the Senate keep legislating funding conditional on some legal minutiae that in all likelihood the regions are never going to go through the trouble of doing?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2015, 01:54:19 AM »

looking at the amendment currently being voted on .....  why does the Senate keep legislating funding conditional on some legal minutiae that in all likelihood the regions are never going to go through the trouble of doing?

Because they like to "touch" the regions, by which I mean groping them by the balls of course. Tongue
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2015, 02:04:52 AM »

I am thinking about doing something with the old health care funding bill, but I must admit that the Senate doesn't seem to notice or care whether we actually ever act on it.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2015, 02:13:31 AM »

I am thinking about doing something with the old health care funding bill, but I must admit that the Senate doesn't seem to notice or care whether we actually ever act on it.

Until March 6th, at least one did. Tongue Come May Day, at least one shall again. Tongue
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2015, 03:23:40 AM »

Until March 6th, at least one did. Tongue Come May Day, at least one shall again. Tongue

I think you need a bex and a good lie down Yankee. (google it).
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2015, 03:58:43 AM »

I think you need a bex and a good lie down Yankee. (google it).

I would rather not lose a kidney, Aussie boy. Tongue
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2015, 08:42:47 AM »

Irrespective of what (currently) 10% of the game's voters find displeasing, the vast majority of what the bill entails is needed. I know it must be mind-numbingly difficult for constant triangulators and panderers like Lumine (who at this point is merely a failed President) to understand, but sometimes decisions can be made independently of what a forum poll says. This is a republic.

If my party in particular knee-jerked and always made decisions based on which choice was more popular with a particularly whiny, insistent and overly-represented segment of the game's population, then we would be the JCP or the Liberals. For the love of God, if that ever happens, please bring about the Second Dissolution.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2015, 03:08:20 PM »

Generally I'm not in agreement with all of the bullet points of the bill, obviously, but there are a lot of things in the bill I think are changes for the better. I hope the right-wing Senators get their say on the bill and make some good changes in the hopes of making it more... acceptable, but we need a bill like this.

Approve.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2015, 04:50:14 PM »

If my party in particular knee-jerked and always made decisions based on which choice was more popular with a particularly whiny, insistent and overly-represented segment of the game's population, then we would be the JCP or the Liberals. For the love of God, if that ever happens, please bring about the Second Dissolution.

Sure, Griffin, sure. Evil Go right ahead and I am sure everything will be fine. Evil Don't worry about it. Evil Pay no mind to the devil smileys. Evil Tongue
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies