NE1: North East Exams Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:15:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE1: North East Exams Act
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NE1: North East Exams Act  (Read 910 times)
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 11, 2015, 07:02:50 AM »
« edited: April 14, 2015, 05:50:40 PM by NE Speaker DKrol »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Debate will last for 72 hours.

Rep. Clyde1998, you have 36 hours to advocate for your bill.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 07:24:46 AM »

First of all, I should explain what controlled assessments are - as I think they are taken outside the UK: Controlled assessments measure subject-specific skills that cannot always be tested by timed written exam papers. They were introduced to replace coursework.

I feel that controlled assessments should be made available for those who wish to sit them, because certain subjects can't test people in a real life situation in exam conditions. For example, exams don't test people's abilities to work with other people - a very important life skill.

Controlled assessments should be seen as an equal to exams, but they're aimed at those who prefer to spread their work load over the year - as opposed to a couple of hours at the end of the year. It would also reduce exam phobias.

Some subjects may benefit from having both exams and controlled assessments as part of the course - the exam to test theory and the controlled assessment for practical work.

Can the sponsor clarify a bit more? Does this prevent teachers from setting a mandatory final exam for their classes or is it only for standardized testing?
The bill relates to standardized testing in terms of progress through the school, but it doesn't prevent teachers from setting exams (exclusively) in their classes.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 07:38:46 AM »

Am I understanding this correctly in that the bill applies to tests like MCAS - the Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System - which is mandated by the state and is taken in grades 3-8, and then again in 10, rather than the exams teachers make to summarize their course at the end?
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 12:07:54 PM »

Am I understanding this correctly in that the bill applies to tests like MCAS - the Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System - which is mandated by the state and is taken in grades 3-8, and then again in 10, rather than the exams teachers make to summarize their course at the end?
That's what I'm proposing at this point, yes.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 11:54:26 PM »

Does this bill also cover AP/IB tests which might required by schools if students take an AP/IB class? (I ask because my school does that to prevent students from taking the class so they can have it on their transcript while flunking the test.)
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 06:42:11 AM »

Does this bill also cover AP/IB tests which might required by schools if students take an AP/IB class? (I ask because my school does that to prevent students from taking the class so they can have it on their transcript while flunking the test.)
Looking at the list of subjects offered in these courses - I feel that some would benefit from controlled assessments. For example: English and French.

I wouldn't rule them out for AP/IB tests, but if people wish from them not to be included - I'll be happy to modify the bill.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 01:57:41 PM »

Looking at the list of subjects offered in these courses - I feel that some would benefit from controlled assessments. For example: English and French.

I wouldn't rule them out for AP/IB tests, but if people wish from them not to be included - I'll be happy to modify the bill.

I believe that AP/IB tests are required if you take the course? Or is that a school-by-school decision?
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 02:02:47 PM »

I believe that AP/IB tests are required if you take the course? Or is that a school-by-school decision?
From what I've seen it's based on school-by-school decisions, but I'm not 100% sure.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 07:07:41 PM »

Representative Clyde1998, I support you on this bill.

If it is voted on before the end of this legislative session, I will vote in favor of it.

As you know, the Assembly election is this up coming weekend. 
pikachu
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 11:59:16 PM »

School-by-school decision. I offer this amendment:

Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 11:48:19 AM »

School-by-school decision. I offer this amendment:

I'm happy with that amendment.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 02:16:36 PM »

Clyde1998, are you accepting this as friendly?
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 05:39:28 PM »

Clyde1998, are you accepting this as friendly?
Yes.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 05:51:18 PM »

With that, debate has ended. We will now move to a 24 hour vote, or until all members have voted.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 08:38:54 PM »

Aye
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 09:05:45 PM »

Aye
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2015, 10:19:52 PM »

Aye
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2015, 01:42:34 AM »

Aye.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2015, 06:57:38 PM »

With 4 Ayes and One member not voting, the bill passes and will be forwarded to the Governor.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2015, 10:25:09 PM »

Has Matt from VT gone on a fact finding mission to North Korea? 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies