Jeb Bush after all?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:42:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Jeb Bush after all?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Jeb Bush after all?  (Read 2229 times)
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2005, 01:32:37 AM »

Electing people from the same family does not make the country a monarchy.

On the contrary, electing sons, wives, brothers ad. perpetua is just as bad as electing FDR to four terms, and requires the same solution, a constitutional amendment.

So Hillary is off the table then, right?  Smiley  Or is this a case of "You can't have family blood in office, but I can?"  And I guess the Adams and the Rooseveltes should have been punished too.  hehehe

If people from the same family are elected to office, it means that either a) the people really like the person/family, or b) the voters haven't done their homework.

No, the Adams shouldn't be "punished", I'm talking about a constitutional amendment, not ex post facto law, which is not only  unconstitutional itself but also entirely impossible and stupid. And no, I do not support Hillary.

And yes, it would apply equally to those of all parties, Republicans and Democrats, but it would not apply to any immediate relatives of those who served as president prior to the passage of the amendment; just as 22nd amendment did not apply to Truman.

I'm all against nepotism, but such a solution smacks far too much of attainder for my liking...
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies