Kerry vs Sanford
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:07:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Kerry vs Sanford
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Who wins?
(R) Sanford/Romney

(D) Kerry/Clark

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: Kerry vs Sanford  (Read 3652 times)
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2005, 06:52:24 PM »

Best for Sanford:

366-172

Best for Kerry

314-224
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2005, 06:59:18 PM »

A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2005, 07:08:24 PM »

What is up with this idea that every election from now on is going to be almost exactly like the last one?

Sanford wins in a landslide because of concern about the deficit, the border situation, his promise to maintain whatever tax reform the GOP gets through Congress, the lack of an unpopular foreign policy situation, and his outsider take-on-the-legislature approach. He's the kind of guy who can get into fights with Republican legislators over spending and promote federalism with credibility.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2005, 07:14:17 PM »

What is up with this idea that every election from now on is going to be almost exactly like the last one?

Sanford wins in a landslide because of concern about the deficit, the border situation, his promise to maintain whatever tax reform the GOP gets through Congress, the lack of an unpopular foreign policy situation, and his outsider take-on-the-legislature approach. He's the kind of guy who can get into fights with Republican legislators over spending and promote federalism with credibility.

No.

Bush loves illegal immigrants and defecit spending and that will hurt Sanford. Infact, those things would probably help Kerry!
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2005, 07:18:45 PM »

No.

Bush loves illegal immigrants and defecit spending and that will hurt Sanford.

Definitely. Bush isn't a conservative, but I have high hopes for Sanford. He won't be a fan of illegal immigration or deficit spending (or so I hope), and therefore those issues won't hurt him if he distances himself from Bush.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2005, 07:19:05 PM »

Yes.

Kerry is not going to whine about deficit spending while calling for his trillion dollar health care plan, against a guy who has a proven reputation as governor of vetoing even conservative budget items. If he does, go ahead and give Sanford Massachusetts.

Anything Kerry says about cracking down on the border situation is automatically assumed to be a lie by 90% of the sane population.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2005, 07:25:18 PM »

Why does it matter?? Kerry's chances of being re-nominated are sooo tiny. You're right, he's a weak candidate, and most Democrats will realize this and pick someone else.

But Sanford won't crack 57%. I see him maxing out at 53% or so.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2005, 10:25:08 PM »

kerry will never get renominated
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2005, 12:34:45 AM »
« Edited: April 30, 2005, 12:37:05 AM by Senate Candidate BRTD »

He could probably even lose Massachussetts if he ran a bad campaign and the Greens had someone on the ballot.

Now Ive heard it all.

Well this is coming from someone who argued Kerry had a realistic chance of losing Vermont.

Bush did better in 9 states than Kerry did in MA, and that was a close election.

and that proves nothing except that if a massive landslide were to ahppen in which Kerry lost MA, an equal landslide in reverse would result in the Republican only winning 9 states. That does not mean that either one is a very likely or realistic possibility.

The idea that things will be going perfectly fine in Iraq by 2008 makes me crack up, and Bush's low approval ratings now aren't even largely because of Iraq anyway.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2005, 12:44:45 AM »

oh wow, he lived in a state. That sure helped Bush in CT.

If Sanford was an incumbent sitting where Reagan was in 1984, then he could win a landslide. But he's not, and if Bush's ratings are the same as they are now in 2008, no Republican is winning a landslide.

I still want someone to explain WHY Sanford is such an amazing candidate and what makes him better than say, Frist.

Might I also point out a true massive landslide on the scale of 1984 hasn't happened ever happened with a non-incumbent, I guess one could make a case that 1964 wasn't really a case with an incumbent, but that was also obviously a completely different situation from an entirely open race.

1932 was the last time we had a landslide that wasn't for the incumbent President  Incumbent Presidents than tend to win big, Bush 2004 of course being an exception.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2005, 12:47:12 AM »

If we're not in Iraq in numbers, no, people will not care if it's ed up.
skybridge
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2005, 05:55:58 AM »

None of these scenarios will ever happen.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2005, 06:31:31 AM »

Wow, I thought Sanford was overrated but not to the level where people'd expect him to take California and New Jersey. Why would those states love a southernor from the state known for Bob Jones University and Strom Thurmond?

Most of these fellows don't realize that on the West Coast and in the Northeast, most people simply don't like Southern Republicans, don't trust them, and view them as religious nuts.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2005, 12:44:40 PM »

Wow, I thought Sanford was overrated but not to the level where people'd expect him to take California and New Jersey. Why would those states love a southernor from the state known for Bob Jones University and Strom Thurmond?

Most of these fellows don't realize that on the West Coast and in the Northeast, most people simply don't like Southern Republicans, don't trust them, and view them as religious nuts.

this is true even in lots of rural parts of Minnesota and the rest of the Midwest. Even if the people are socially conservative, they do not like southern born agains.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2005, 12:57:57 PM »

He could probably even lose Massachussetts if he ran a bad campaign and the Greens had someone on the ballot.

Now Ive heard it all.

Well this is coming from someone who argued Kerry had a realistic chance of losing Vermont.
"Realistic"? More like "not quite as unrealistic as my bookie seems to think".
You must be logged in to read this quote.

and that proves nothing except that if a massive landslide were to ahppen in which Kerry lost MA, an equal landslide in reverse would result in the Republican only winning 9 states. That does not mean that either one is a very likely or realistic possibility.

The idea that things will be going perfectly fine in Iraq by 2008 makes me crack up[/quote]Depends how you define "fine"...
You must be logged in to read this quote.
That seems to be true.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2005, 01:37:15 PM »

P.S. Stanford announced he won't be a candidate for President in 2008 a while ago.

It was taken out of context.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2005, 02:02:29 PM »

P.S. Stanford announced he won't be a candidate for President in 2008 a while ago.

He took that statement back saying he was concentrating on his 2006 reelection and will make plans for 2008 and beyond after that. 
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2005, 05:44:27 PM »

Thanks for clarifying brtd's continued ignorance, lewis.

And no one SAYS they're running yet-- like I said my favorite is Rendell, who said it was possible 'to the extent one can run for President post-2006.'
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2005, 09:40:53 PM »

Too bad jfern and brtd weren't around (at least on the internet, seeing as it didn't exist) to claim Reagan couldn't win 49 states. And actually he won all 50 but voter fraud put Mondale over in Minnesota.

Is there any evidence of that?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2005, 11:04:35 PM »

Presidentially speaking, in 2008, Kerry would be a has been.  He would have far too much negative baggage to carry into the campaign.  Kerry would join the other luminaries in the "More Than Once Defeated For President Club", Pinckney, Bryan, Dewey, Stevenson. 

Sanford would win, not in a one sided landslide, but he would win. 

Great pick in Romney for VP by the way. 

Sanford/Romney 306 EV, 52%
Kerry/Clark          232 EV, 47%
Other                       0 EV,  1%

Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 5.74

« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2005, 11:35:46 PM »

That seems like a pretty accurate estimate, nice job.

However, I'd give Wisconsin and New Mexico, maybe Oregon, to Sanford, and give New Hampshire to Kerry.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies