When is the next global recession and how severe is it? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:23:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  When is the next global recession and how severe is it? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: When is the next global recession and how severe is it?  (Read 8606 times)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« on: May 11, 2015, 09:36:40 AM »

According to the IMF, a "global recession" would mean that real GDP growth for the whole world was less than 3%, and by this definition there have been six since 1970: 1974-1975, 1980-1983, 1990-1993, 1998, 2001-2002, and 2008-2009.

You'll notice that the U.S. had recessions during all of those periods, except 1998 when we were on fire. So the world can easily have a global recession, with or without us.

The most likely even to trigger another global recession would be if Europe falls off a cliff, which is not a very outlandish scenario. However, Europe will probably keep grinding through the rest of this decade and weighing everything down, while the U.S. keeps chugging along, with developing countries rollercoastering.

I do expect a minor recession in the U.S. sometime before the end of this decade, but I don't expect it to be anywhere near as bad as the Great Recession, let alone cause a global recession.

I'm amused at all the posts that say there won't be another global recession for a decade or more. If you look at the list in the post I've quoted, then it's pretty clear that the longest period in the last 40+ years without a global recession was seven years from 1983 to 1990. We are almost 6 years past the end of the last recession. Adding another decade would make it a record recovery period by more than double the historical best. That seems farfetched to me.

Statistically the most likely answer is that the next global recession is due within a year. Since 2008-09 was the most severe recession on the list, it is more likely that the next one will not be as severe.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 03:44:30 PM »

I'm amused at all the posts that say there won't be another global recession for a decade or more. If you look at the list in the post I've quoted, then it's pretty clear that the longest period in the last 40+ years without a global recession was seven years from 1983 to 1990. We are almost 6 years past the end of the last recession. Adding another decade would make it a record recovery period by more than double the historical best. That seems farfetched to me.

I've already stated why I don't believe that type of analysis to be correct. Downturns happen because of overaggressive upturns not because of some prophetic timing. We've never had a recession-free period longer than 7 years because we've never had a giant recession followed by slow steady growth before. Recessions in recent US history are generally followed by 7+% GDP growth years and other unsustainable booms that make us due again. We are not experiencing that at this moment. There is still too much untapped GDP potential in this economy in many sectors.

Much has been made in general about how our rebound from the 2008 crash has been atypical. If that is the case, the business cycle should also be atypical.

I stand by my statement as a matter of statistics. There's no question that deviations from the average are to be expected. But the greater the deviation, the less likely it is to occur. Since 1970 only one year (1984) had real US GDP growth in excess of 7%. The economic growth in the US in 2010 (2.5%) is not so different as the first year recovery from the tech bust in 2003 (2.8%).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies