Kerry vs Sanford (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:48:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Kerry vs Sanford (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who wins?
(R) Sanford/Romney

(D) Kerry/Clark

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: Kerry vs Sanford  (Read 3725 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: April 29, 2005, 09:43:32 AM »

Wow, I thought Sanford was overrated but not to the level where people'd expect him to take California and New Jersey. Why would those states love a southernor from the state known for Bob Jones University and Strom Thurmond?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 11:32:59 AM »
« Edited: April 29, 2005, 11:37:17 AM by Senate Candidate BRTD »

Sanford I think lived in NJ for a while. In any case, for whatever reason, people seem unable to grasp the idea that landslides can and DO happen.

The point isn't so much Sanford as Kerry vs. good Republican. And that would be a massacre of 1984 proportions.

Too bad jfern and brtd weren't around (at least on the internet, seeing as it didn't exist) to claim Reagan couldn't win 49 states. And actually he won all 50 but voter fraud put Mondale over in Minnesota.

oh wow, he lived in a state. That sure helped Bush in CT.

If Sanford was an incumbent sitting where Reagan was in 1984, then he could win a landslide. But he's not, and if Bush's ratings are the same as they are now in 2008, no Republican is winning a landslide.

I still want someone to explain WHY Sanford is such an amazing candidate and what makes him better than say, Frist.

Might I also point out a true massive landslide on the scale of 1984 hasn't happened ever happened with a non-incumbent, I guess one could make a case that 1964 wasn't really a case with an incumbent, but that was also obviously a completely different situation from an entirely open race.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 11:48:23 AM »

not on a 1984 level and in the other cases the losing party was the incumbent party and the incumbent was very unpopular. Bush isn't as unpopular now as Truman and Wilson were, but if his approval ratings are low-mid 40s in 2008 as of now, no Republican is winning a landslide.

It's pretty ridiculous to expect Kerry to do that bad when he already has 48% of the vote. I don't think he'd win, but he's not going to lose around 7% to a Republican as conservative as Bush.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 12:34:45 AM »
« Edited: April 30, 2005, 12:37:05 AM by Senate Candidate BRTD »

He could probably even lose Massachussetts if he ran a bad campaign and the Greens had someone on the ballot.

Now Ive heard it all.

Well this is coming from someone who argued Kerry had a realistic chance of losing Vermont.

Bush did better in 9 states than Kerry did in MA, and that was a close election.

and that proves nothing except that if a massive landslide were to ahppen in which Kerry lost MA, an equal landslide in reverse would result in the Republican only winning 9 states. That does not mean that either one is a very likely or realistic possibility.

The idea that things will be going perfectly fine in Iraq by 2008 makes me crack up, and Bush's low approval ratings now aren't even largely because of Iraq anyway.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 12:44:40 PM »

Wow, I thought Sanford was overrated but not to the level where people'd expect him to take California and New Jersey. Why would those states love a southernor from the state known for Bob Jones University and Strom Thurmond?

Most of these fellows don't realize that on the West Coast and in the Northeast, most people simply don't like Southern Republicans, don't trust them, and view them as religious nuts.

this is true even in lots of rural parts of Minnesota and the rest of the Midwest. Even if the people are socially conservative, they do not like southern born agains.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies