Nate Silver: 2016 is a tossup; most conventional wisdom analysis is flimsy (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:52:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Nate Silver: 2016 is a tossup; most conventional wisdom analysis is flimsy (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nate Silver: 2016 is a tossup; most conventional wisdom analysis is flimsy  (Read 7912 times)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« on: April 13, 2015, 08:15:04 AM »

So I made a graph to disprove the logic of the "but muh 5 out of 6 popular vote wins!"

This graph compares the margin of victory (as defined by Democratic PV% minus Republican PV percentage) on the x axis to the mean of the past six PV margins of victory.

It starts from 1880, as that alllows the past six elections to go back to 1856, the first D vs R election.

The r^2 value is 0.007 (which is basically zero for all intents and purposes). So I'm pretty confident that the successes of Ds in the past few elections doesn't tell us anything meaningful (in and of itself, at least) about their 2016 chances.

But you might protest "1800s are irrelevant for present-day elections! What about recent elections only?" Well, I'm afraid it doesn't get any better. If you were to restrict it to say, post-WWII elections (1948+), the relationship becomes negative. (Of course, that's likely meaningless as well).

Nice graph. It is probably also useful to look at the volatility of the vote, perhaps by plotting the D-R margin, the 6 cycle average, and the standard deviation of the D-R margin during 6 cycles over time.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies