Winter is Coming (GoT is back)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:15:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Winter is Coming (GoT is back)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 29
Author Topic: Winter is Coming (GoT is back)  (Read 56533 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: May 26, 2015, 07:26:31 AM »

Balon isn't dead on the TV show.  See the Game of Thrones Wiki (which is entirely based on the TV show continuity):

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Balon_Greyjoy

There's nothing about him dying in there.

So 2 episodes in season 2, and then one scene in season 3. He hasn't renounced his claim of independence, has he? Surely they'll have to wrap that up at some point.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #101 on: May 26, 2015, 07:39:39 AM »

I'm confused because they did the prophecy thing (and just reminded us of it as well). Surely they have to carry it out then?

I'm thinking that Balon keeling over would be a good thing to raise Melisandre's credibility for Stannis and might also set the stage for Euron making a foreboding appearance at the end of the season.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #102 on: May 26, 2015, 07:40:29 AM »

I haven't read the books or any spoilers or anything, but there's like, literally, no chance that a TV show will feature a major character murdering his little girl by burning her alive. Even on Game of Thrones. I wouldn't worry about that at all.

There's a fair chance Selyse burns Shireen on her own.

My guess would be that Melisandre will eventually burn Shireen (albeit with Selyse's help/support) despite what Stannis said (not necessarily this season though).  I could also easily see Stannis having Melisandre burned in retaliation which would be both excellent poetic justice for a whole host of reasons.  Plus Melisandre is basically a witch and there is that whole trope about burning witches being the main way to kill them.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #103 on: May 26, 2015, 08:09:34 AM »
« Edited: May 26, 2015, 08:13:36 AM by Mr. Morden »

Balon isn't dead on the TV show.  See the Game of Thrones Wiki (which is entirely based on the TV show continuity):

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Balon_Greyjoy

There's nothing about him dying in there.

So 2 episodes in season 2, and then one scene in season 3. He hasn't renounced his claim of independence, has he? Surely they'll have to wrap that up at some point.

No, he hasn't renounced his independence.  He's basically in the same position Stannis was in in Season 3.  No longer actively fighting against the crown, but just kind of stuck on his island, where he serves as king.

They were definitely still mentioning the Greyjoys as recently as last season though.  Tywin had a conversation with Oberyn in which he said something like "Balon Greyjoy is still in open rebellion", and then of course you had the scene in Episode 4x08 where Theon baited the final group of Ironborn in the North into the Boltons' trap.

I'm confused because they did the prophecy thing (and just reminded us of it as well). Surely they have to carry it out then?

They don't *have* to.  A prophecy can be wrong, can't it?  That witch in Cersei's flashback said that Cersei would only have three children, but she had four.  If you remember, in Season 1, they talk about she had a child with Robert who died in infancy.  It's mentioned in a couple of scenes, including at the 5:27 mark of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY5As-RP1MM

Anyway, in that Stannis/Mel scene in this week's episode, Mel mentions Rob and Joffrey by name as proof of the death leeches working, but conveniently leaves out the name of Balon, since he's still alive.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #104 on: May 26, 2015, 02:20:42 PM »

Theon's sister is credited on IMDB for the next episode I think so the storyline will probably be addressed. Also, Maester Aemon had king's blood so why didn't they just use his instead of sacrificing Stannis' daughter?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #105 on: May 26, 2015, 02:52:43 PM »

Theon's sister is credited on IMDB for the next episode I think so the storyline will probably be addressed.

No, she was credited on IMDb for last week's episode, which is further evidence that IMDb is totally unreliable on such things.  It's like a wiki where anyone can add whatever BS credit they like, just to mess with fans.  It happens with Game of Thrones all the time.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #106 on: May 26, 2015, 04:46:40 PM »

IIRC, the showrunners said they only had enough time this season for either Dorne or the Greyjoys, so they picked Dorne. But (SPOILER) based on casting announcements for next season, we'll be catching back up with the Game of Thrones viking analogues in season 6.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #107 on: May 26, 2015, 05:42:18 PM »

Theon's sister is credited on IMDB for the next episode I think so the storyline will probably be addressed.

No, she was credited on IMDb for last week's episode, which is further evidence that IMDb is totally unreliable on such things.  It's like a wiki where anyone can add whatever BS credit they like, just to mess with fans.  It happens with Game of Thrones all the time.

Damn, I guess I was just very hopeful. I just saw that the list also includes Benjen Stark for the finale, so yeah it's probably all made up.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #108 on: May 26, 2015, 11:56:15 PM »

Balon Greyjoy is dead, he had a slip-and-fall on Pyke that in the books was almost certainly engineered by a Faceless Man hired by his awful brother Euron.

If it didn't happen (on or off-screen) in the show, it didn't happen at all.  Some of us don't care what happened in the books.

There's no need to be so truculent about it.

Yes there is. You probably just utterly spoiled a plot-line the show was going to expand upon later. You are well aware of this, don't try to play coy.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #109 on: May 27, 2015, 12:31:49 AM »
« Edited: May 27, 2015, 12:50:19 AM by Jöë Rëpüblïc »

^ Thank you.  I had no idea what fate was to befall Balon Greyjoy (not that I lost much sleep over a character we've seen only three times), but the casual way Nathan spoiled* it anyway was particularly irritating.

* Potentially.  Maybe the show will do something different, but maybe not.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #110 on: May 27, 2015, 04:46:17 AM »

In Madeline's defense, it isn't that important of a spoiler (unless they're changing things dramatically from the books). And also she may have thought (like I did) that he was already dead in the show as well. Tongue
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #111 on: May 27, 2015, 10:12:03 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2015, 10:25:03 PM by sex-negative feminist prude »

In Madeline's defense, it isn't that important of a spoiler (unless they're changing things dramatically from the books). And also she may have thought (like I did) that he was already dead in the show as well. Tongue

Yes, I did think so.

Also: I wasn't 'trying to play coy', whatever that's supposed to mean. Joe didn't bring up spoilers as a concern until several posts later, and I couldn't really have guessed that he had that concern because 1. I wasn't aware it was a (potential) spoiler and 2. the read that I was getting from what he was saying was 'nobody cares what happened in the books because we all know the show is diverging anyway', which seemed almost like the opposite of a concern about spoilers. So, that's why his reaction didn't make sense to me and struck me as unmerited.

Anyway, I'm sorry.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #112 on: May 27, 2015, 11:41:13 PM »

Good.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #113 on: May 27, 2015, 11:54:34 PM »

Time for "The Mother's Mercy".
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #114 on: May 31, 2015, 09:10:26 PM »

Humanity is screwed.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #115 on: May 31, 2015, 09:16:46 PM »

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #116 on: May 31, 2015, 09:18:22 PM »

I had my doubts about what might happen in tonight's episode, but that was simply magnificent.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #117 on: May 31, 2015, 11:47:33 PM »

Epic stuff. Hopefully the next two episodes will be just as good.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #118 on: May 31, 2015, 11:48:20 PM »

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #119 on: May 31, 2015, 11:56:03 PM »

That was surely one of the best scenes in the history of television.

Kind of makes it hard to care about anything that's happening south of the wall now...
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #120 on: June 01, 2015, 12:56:29 AM »

That was surely one of the best scenes in the history of television.

Kind of makes it hard to care about anything that's happening south of the wall now...

If only Westeros had CNN they would stop goofing off with all this silliness and prepare for The Walking Dead on Ice
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #121 on: June 01, 2015, 08:10:29 PM »

Season needs more Arya.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #122 on: June 01, 2015, 09:31:43 PM »

Agreed, although I am really hoping that she'll at least get to cross another name off her list when Ser Meryn takes Mace Tyrell to meet with the Iron Bank.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #123 on: June 01, 2015, 09:43:38 PM »

I think I saw a breakdown of character screentime somewhere that showed Arya still coming in 6th place in screen time this season so far (behind Jon, Cersei, Tyrion, Dany, Sansa, not necessarily in that order).  She's only been in four episodes, but she's featured in every single scene in her storyline, and so gets a decent share of screen time.  I think the preview for next time showed her appearing again next week?  If she's in both Episodes 9 and 10, then she'll probably end up with more screen time for the year than she got in Season 4.  (Granted, Season 4 was itself kind of a down year for her.)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #124 on: June 02, 2015, 07:21:20 AM »

I've noticed that book readers really love Arya, but I've always thought her plotlines were the least interesting on the show.

Well, actually I enjoyed Bran's even less, so I'm glad he hasn't been in this season at all. (Also, I enjoyed Theon up on the X even less than both of them, but that's presumably over.)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 29  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies