Winter is Coming (GoT is back)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:15:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Winter is Coming (GoT is back)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 29
Author Topic: Winter is Coming (GoT is back)  (Read 56566 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: May 16, 2016, 01:13:13 AM »

Dany's fireproof but not concussion-proof.  What if when she burned down that building, the walls collapsed in on her and killed her?  That would have been a heck of a way for the show to kill off the character.  Tongue
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #326 on: May 16, 2016, 01:21:39 AM »

I thought the exact same thing in that scene.  There were large logs falling everywhere, as there would be in that situation.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #327 on: May 16, 2016, 01:27:52 AM »

I may be alone in this, but I didn't find the final scene of this episode to be dumb or cringe-worthy, if anything, I considered to be far better than the dragon-ex-machina I thought they were going to pull.

To be frank, anything that advances Daenerys's storyline and finally makes her get the hell out of Essos is fine by me.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #328 on: May 16, 2016, 09:55:28 PM »

Love how they trolled the fans for a week about Jon Snow.

Either way we need George RR Martin to get off his fat lazy ass and write the next two books. He's gotten caught up in his own fame and worthless blogging, every normal person would have been fired long ago. Send out the goon squads and beat him until he finishes it.
and it's got nothing to do with fame, he took forever to write sh**t before the fame too.

First 3 books written in 4 years, then they became popular and he started slacking. Next 2 books 11 years, up to 5 years now, likely a year or two more before the next book, it's pathetic.

There are better authors who can put out a book every year or every other year. That's because they treat writing as their job and write 8 hours a day instead of blogging.

As for Malcolm X, yes he does owe us. He signed a contract and is supposed to do his job and write the book. Last year he said he "put away all his side projects and conventions to write seriously" meaning he's been faffing about for the last few years not caring. Any regular person would be fired a long time ago. He's also doesn't care about the story either, said if he does he will make it so no one can finish his books.

Lol! Fat bastard doesn't care about the series anymore. He cares about blogging random crap and making money and taunts fans who want his books. They should suspend the show and withhold any money from him until he completes his contractual obligations, much better authors such as Brandon Sanderson write so much faster because they treat their work like a job, write 6-8 hours a day instead of going "trolololol".

Current pace Winds of Winter will be finished in 2018-2019 or so and the last book around at that pace would be 2025+, likely a lot longer. Also ignores the fact that the first three books were written very well while the last two were much lower quality.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #329 on: May 16, 2016, 11:19:58 PM »

Loved the Jon/Sansa reunion, Meereen plot was surprisingly interesting, and Dany's ending was fierce. So, all around good episode. Also, I'm still holding out hope that a TWOW completion announcement could still come this year (and definitely at latest sometime next year).
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #330 on: May 17, 2016, 10:39:50 AM »

I thought this was one of the strongest episodes of the season. Except anything in Essos, Tyrion has done a good job of making it more interesting, but anything over there is just sludge I have to sit through.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #331 on: May 17, 2016, 12:26:56 PM »

To be frank, anything that advances Daenerys's storyline and finally makes her get the hell out of Essos is fine by me.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #332 on: May 18, 2016, 06:26:16 AM »

Between the trailer for the next episode, and the promo picture that HBO released for it:

http://winteriscoming.net/2016/05/16/image-from-the-door-hints-at-a-very-interesting-vision-for-bran/

it looks like maybe...just maybe...the next episode will give us some of the backstory on the Children of the Forest and/or the White Walkers, told via Bran's visions.

It's about time.  That should have been the first question Bran and Meera asked those dudes when they arrived at the tree.  ""There's a war coming", huh?  Well, let's sit down and discuss what it's all about.  There's no reason for you to be so cryptic about it."
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #333 on: May 21, 2016, 01:22:07 PM »

Does anyone else get the feeling that the High Sparrow might outright win?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #334 on: May 21, 2016, 04:02:33 PM »

Predictions:

- Kingsmoot is basically Euron vs. Yara, with Aeron quietly being in "I hate you all" mode.  Euron makes dick jokes about Theon and wins the Kingsmoot by promising to Make The Iron Islands Great Again by offering a marriage alliance to Dany, but seizing control of her dragons with a magic horn if she refuses.  Theon and Yara steal a ship and flee to the Free Cities to try to make their own alliance with Dany.

- Poor man's Melisandre pops up in Meereen and says Dany is Azor Ahai so she wants to help Tyrion and Varys.  Tyrion wants to exploit the growing popularity of the Lord of Light in the city to build a political base.  Varys hates magic so he leaves Meereen (presumably to go and make trouble in King's Landing, but that shall have to wait until another episode). 

- Brief scene at the Wall where Jon and Sansa send Brienne to find Arya and bring her back to the Wall which will be how we get Brienne meeting Jaime again and *might* be how Arya gets to Winterfell next season.

- Sansa meets with LF at some sort of whorehouse.  I don't know if there actually is one near the Wall or not, but it just wouldn't feel right for this meeting to happen anywhere else given that LF's first instinct in season one was to bring Cat to a whorehouse.  Sansa asks if LF knew about Ramsay and he denies it.  Sansa says she wants nothing to do with him either way (she'll change her mind when LF teleports the entire Vale army North just in time to save the day when we get to Snowbowl 2016, but that won't be until episode nine). 

- Bran has a very brief Winterfell courtyard vision where we learn the traumatic experience that turned Willas/Walder into Hodor.  Bran wants to stay, but Max von Sydow makes him leave and go to another vision of the Children of the Forrest a.k.a. weird elf people and find out they have some sort of connection to the White Walkers.  Bran says he wants to go back to the Tower of Joy, but Max von Sydow says no.  Bran decides to go in himself, without Max von Sydow, but finds he isn't skilled enough to navigate it yet on his own.  As a result, he gets plopped into White Walker HQ and sees the army of the dead.  The Night's King senses him, grabs his arm, pulls a Spock and now knows the cave's location.  Meera tries to wake him, but he can't wake up until the Night's King lets go.  Max von Sydow says it is only a matter of time before the White Walkers attack.  Note: It won't be this episode, but whenever they do attack, Max von Sydow is gonna die.  He has Obi-Wan-Kenobi written all over him. 

- Jaqen will give Arya her first assignment: someone in a theatre troupe.  He'll tell her that she has to join the troupe and learn all about the target first.  Arya asks what the person did to deserve to die and Jaqen says the "Does death come only for the wicked and leave the good behind" line from the trailer.  Arya says okay, but it clearly doesn't sit well with her and this ideological difference (that morality matters a great deal to Arya) will contribute to her break with them later in the season.  Jaqen cuts off a face to give to her, but Arya says she wants to use her own.  Jaqen allows it, but is displeased and says the "A girl has been given a second chance.  There will not be a third." line.  Arya asks what happens if she fails to complete her assignment and Jaqen says the "One way or another, the gift will be given.  One way or another, a face will be added to the wall."  line (i.e. do it or we'll kill you).  Arya sees the theatre troupe performing part of The Bloody Hand where the noble and kind-hearted King Joffrey is poisoned by Tyrion the twisted demon monkey.  She also sees a part where bizarro-Tyrion rapes and murders bizarro Sansa for refusing to help murder Joffrey Baratheon, friend to all creatures.  I feel like this'll either snap her out of being No One or come close enough that it'll be completely out of her system by the end of episode six.  Arya will be told she will be playing the role of bizarro Sansa which I really hope we get to actually see at some point b/c that'd be hilarious.  The fact that bizarro Sansa's only role will be to be a victim of physical and sexual violence while yelling "No!  Please don't!" could also allow for some nice meta-level commentary on the criticism the show has faced for this in the past.

- Boring/waste of screentime scene with Jorah, Dany, and Daario where Dany forgives Jorah.  Daario gets jealous and says she shouldn't touch Jorah because he has greyscale and Jorah reveals that it has taken over his arm.

Overall: Expecting a piece-moving episode, but a pretty awesome one (Oathbreaker was like that too, but I'm hopeful this will top it).  I'm especially looking forward to Arya (especially if I'm right about the theatre troupe stuff b/c that could be hilarious), Bran (I actually care about Bran this season although not nearly as much as Arya and Rickon.  Arya>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Rickon>>>Bran>>Jon>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Sansa), and Kingsmoot stuff.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #335 on: May 22, 2016, 12:18:00 AM »

Apparently, tomorrow's episode was accidentally released early on HBO Nordic.  If you have an account there and live in one of those Scandinavian countries (or use a VPN to pretend you do) you can watch it now.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #336 on: May 22, 2016, 12:51:08 AM »

Apparently, tomorrow's episode was accidentally released early on HBO Nordic.  If you have an account there and live in one of those Scandinavian countries (or use a VPN to pretend you do) you can watch it now.

And now people are saying that they've pulled it from HBO Nordic, so it's not available anymore.  Maybe it'll show up on a streaming site soon though.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #337 on: May 22, 2016, 05:46:45 AM »

OK, yeah.  The episode is now all over all the piracy websites.  Beware of spoilers out there.  E.g., everyone's talking about it on the various GoT forums.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #338 on: May 22, 2016, 09:07:39 PM »

That was a very powerful episode, in my opinion.

If there's something to truly enjoy from Season 6 is that, finally, the plot is moving ahead.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #339 on: May 22, 2016, 09:28:26 PM »

That was a very powerful episode, in my opinion.

If there's something to truly enjoy from Season 6 is that, finally, the plot is moving ahead.

Except in Braavos.

I don't want to say any spoilers just yet since there are still people who haven't seen it, but those last 5 minutes were unexpectedly powerful to me. I didn't expect them to connect that character's strangeness to the plot at large; I really like how they did it here.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #340 on: May 22, 2016, 10:17:50 PM »

The good:

- Awesome Arya scenes continue to be awesome.  I really want to see more of that play!   Dear (insert God of your choice), please let Arya playing bizarro Sansa while the latter is betrothed to bizarro Joffrey be a thing that happens because it will be glorious.  Also nice to see that is still 110% Arya with her sense of right and wrong firmly intact.  I really wanted more of these scenes and this continues to be one of the stronger storylines of the season.  Maisie Williams' acting during the play was excellent and I teared up when she was watching bizarro Ned get executed.  And it's nice to see Joffrey get slapped again.

- Regarding Bran stuff, there's nothing I could say that would do it justice, so I'll only say that tonight we are all Hodor.  Teared up twice Sad

- Apparently Varys is the only sane man in Meereen. 

- Still don't care about Dany, Jorah, or Daario. 

- Not a fan of the Sansa and Jon stuff, especially the fact that 1) Sansa is continuing the trend of Starks jumping off Mt. Littlefinger right after giving him an awesome "the reason you suck" speech, 2) are Brienne and Sansa never going to tell Jon that Arya is alive and in the Riverlands AFATK, and 3) Sansa compared Jon to Ramsay which is just all kinds of cringe. On the bright side, Brienne being disturbed by Tormund's lustful gaze never ceases to be hilarious.

- The Kingsmoot was a disappointment, but I did like Theon and Aeron's speeches.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #341 on: May 22, 2016, 10:22:12 PM »

I don't think any moment in the show has left me with more feels than that ending scene. Also, I was not expecting that extreme closeup of that part of the actor from the play.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #342 on: May 22, 2016, 10:24:24 PM »

2) are Brienne and Sansa never going to tell Jon that Arya is alive and in the Riverlands AFATK

Wouldn't it be the Vale rather than the Riverlands?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #343 on: May 22, 2016, 10:25:04 PM »

2) are Brienne and Sansa never going to tell Jon that Arya is alive and in the Riverlands AFATK

Wouldn't it be the Vale rather than the Riverlands?

Good catch.  It would be the Vale, but the point still stands.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #344 on: May 22, 2016, 10:30:50 PM »

Best episode since 3.9
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #345 on: May 23, 2016, 06:22:44 AM »

Bold prediction: When they do the Season 6 DVD release, Sophie Turner, Maisie Williams, and Isaac Hempstead Wright will do the commentary for this episode.  They’ve done commentaries together in the past, and they all had a decent amount of screentime in this ep.

The end of Max Von Sydow reminded me of this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6beF9u5-5Ko

You have the Obi-Wan Kenobi figure being struck down by the bad guys, while he says goodbye to the hero in a shared vision that involves the hero’s father.

Anyway, this episode is a great example of why, while the show is a fun thrill ride, it’s also rather frustrating, and that I keep feeling like we’re getting a cliff notes version of the real story, where important details and character motivations are being left out.  We’re propelled from one event to the next, but it usually doesn’t feel like a logical sequence of events like in the first season.  Instead it feels like the writers are making up the rules as they go, in order to make the story work.

E.g., the WWs couldn’t enter the cave until they could because Bran got touched.  Just go with it.  Max Von Sydow and the Children seem to explain so very little of what’s really going on to Bran and Meera, for no apparent reason.  OK, we get the origin story for the White Walkers.  But what is their current motivation?  Is their goal simply to take over all of Westeros, or is there more to it than that?  What can Bran (or anyone) do to stop them?

I thought Bran was going to be doing Jedi training, but we didn’t see him using any new powers except for vision-questing, which is only so useful when you’re fighting a war.  And those visions focused heavily on Stark family history.  Why?  Why didn’t they just sit Bran and Meera down and explain everything to them about the White Walkers and what they’re supposed to do to stop them?

And then when it was time to leave, they send Bran on one last journey into the past, to see his young father again?  What was the goal there?  They don’t really explain it.  At the end, we’re left with Hodor being taken down by zombies, giving Meera about a 100 foot head start in a big snowstorm, with her carrying Bran’s sled by herself.  Realistically, wouldn’t they catch up to her in no time?  Maybe the writers should have scaled back the size of the zombie army, so that by the time the fighting is over, it’s just like 3 or 4 of them left vs. Hodor, to make it a little more realistic that he could fend them off long enough for Meera to get a good head start.  Instead it seems like dozens (or more) are left, and so once the door comes down, Meera’s toast.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #346 on: May 23, 2016, 07:31:09 AM »

On another topic, that play in Braavos got me thinking about what the people in Essos know about the Lannisters.  Tyrion doesn't seem to be doing anything to disguise his identity.  In the last episode, he openly told those slavers that he grew up richer than they did.  So I don't think it's a big secret that Tyrion Lannister is in a position of power in Meereen, and that info could spread back to Westeros.  Cersei's got much more pressing matters to tend to, but it would be fun to have a scene of her learning about Tyrion advising Dany.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #347 on: May 24, 2016, 06:16:50 AM »

The next three episodes are titled:

Oathbreaker
Book of the Stranger
The Door

I know they like to use titles that have multiple meanings, but I’m going to guess right now that one of the meanings for “The Door” will be the door between the 3-eyed raven’s cave and the outside world.

I will now accept my accolades.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #348 on: May 25, 2016, 09:43:10 PM »

Apparently, a couple years ago, George RR Martin gave the details of the last 2 books to the showrunners so they could start planning the show, and there 3 were specific "holy sh**t" moments"
1. Stannis sacrificing Shireen
2. Hodor's origin story
3. TBA

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/game-of-thrones-george-rr-martin_us_57449e29e4b0aad87c8baeac
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #349 on: May 26, 2016, 06:28:14 PM »

Apparently, a couple years ago, George RR Martin gave the details of the last 2 books to the showrunners so they could start planning the show, and there 3 were specific "holy sh**t" moments"
1. Stannis sacrificing Shireen
2. Hodor's origin story
3. TBA

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/game-of-thrones-george-rr-martin_us_57449e29e4b0aad87c8baeac

That's actually pretty disappointing that we have about 20 episodes remaining before the series wraps up, and we've only got one big surprise on par with Shireen and Hodor left to go.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 29  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies