Winter is Coming (GoT is back)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:41:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Winter is Coming (GoT is back)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 29
Author Topic: Winter is Coming (GoT is back)  (Read 56527 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: May 26, 2016, 07:14:52 PM »

Apparently, a couple years ago, George RR Martin gave the details of the last 2 books to the showrunners so they could start planning the show, and there 3 were specific "holy sh**t" moments"
1. Stannis sacrificing Shireen
2. Hodor's origin story
3. TBA

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/game-of-thrones-george-rr-martin_us_57449e29e4b0aad87c8baeac

That's actually pretty disappointing that we have about 20 episodes remaining before the series wraps up, and we've only got one big surprise on par with Shireen and Hodor left to go.

I highly doubt that will be case.
Minstral
Rookie
« Reply #351 on: May 26, 2016, 11:40:57 PM »

True. GRRM has basically drawn a line and said "no further" at seven books, but I doubt HBO wants to end their biggest production at this point.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #352 on: May 27, 2016, 08:24:50 AM »

Apparently, a couple years ago, George RR Martin gave the details of the last 2 books to the showrunners so they could start planning the show, and there 3 were specific "holy sh**t" moments"
2. Hodor's origin story
3. TBA

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/game-of-thrones-george-rr-martin_us_57449e29e4b0aad87c8baeac

3. Tyrion is actually Dany's son from Season 1, but he was a time traveling fetus and swapped places with the real son of Tywin shortly before his birth.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #353 on: May 27, 2016, 10:22:17 AM »

I just hope that GRRM changes his mind about sacrificing Shireen in the books. That was one of the worst moments on television.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #354 on: May 27, 2016, 02:10:56 PM »

2. Hodor's origin story
3. TBA

If that's the case it confirms my suspicion that Stannis beats Ramsay in the books - since Shireen isn't with him in the books he can't lose and die against the Boltons if he is to later sacrifice her.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #355 on: May 27, 2016, 02:54:58 PM »

True. GRRM has basically drawn a line and said "no further" at seven books, but I doubt HBO wants to end their biggest production at this point.

They'll end it at eight seasons, I meant that there will be more than one other holy sh!t moment.  People just have a tendency to talk in threes. 

I just hope that GRRM changes his mind about sacrificing Shireen in the books. That was one of the worst moments on television.

No.  Just no.  Stannis burning Shireen and the Greek tragedy that was his downfall was one of the high points of Game of Thrones and certainly the most emotionally powerful death in the show's run thus far.  And I say that as someone who really likes Stannis.  Just because it made you sad doesn't make it bad and it was in no way OOC for Stannis to do that either.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #356 on: May 27, 2016, 08:57:28 PM »

I hope, and kind of assume someone will, the universe is kept alive in other shows, miniseries and movies.  There are a million stories there.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #357 on: May 27, 2016, 09:05:58 PM »

They'll end it at eight seasons, I meant that there will be more than one other holy sh!t moment.  People just have a tendency to talk in threes. 

Right, there'll be more holy s*%t moments, but how many of them will be TV universe only as opposed to coming from GRRM?  I'm still a little uncertain as to how much detail the showrunners have from GRRM on the story of the unfinished books.  I understand that he's given them the basics of the ending, but the question of how much detail they have with regards to how you get from here to there remains a bit fuzzy.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #358 on: May 27, 2016, 09:10:29 PM »

Right, there'll be more holy s*%t moments, but how many of them will be TV universe only as opposed to coming from GRRM?  I'm still a little uncertain as to how much detail the showrunners have from GRRM on the story of the unfinished books.  I understand that he's given them the basics of the ending, but the question of how much detail they have with regards to how you get from here to there remains a bit fuzzy.

Eh, the show is the show and the books are the books.  I love both and just think of them as separate entities so I don't worry about that too much.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #359 on: May 27, 2016, 09:34:44 PM »

Incidentally, on the subject of where Jorah should go looking for the cure for greyscale, I suggest going back to Qarth, since this woman was telling him about "protection" in Old Valyria back then, foreshadowing the greyscale he'd be getting three seasons later:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fZqh-qw_0M
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #360 on: May 28, 2016, 04:20:40 AM »
« Edited: May 28, 2016, 04:28:35 AM by Citizen (The) Doctor »

Incidentally, on the subject of where Jorah should go looking for the cure for greyscale, I suggest going back to Qarth, since this woman was telling him about "protection" in Old Valyria back then, foreshadowing the greyscale he'd be getting three seasons later:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fZqh-qw_0M

Didn't she tell Dany to go to Asshai? It'd be great if we finally got to see Asshai.

And then when it was time to leave, they send Bran on one last journey into the past, to see his young father again?  What was the goal there?  They don’t really explain it.  At the end, we’re left with Hodor being taken down by zombies, giving Meera about a 100 foot head start in a big snowstorm, with her carrying Bran’s sled by herself.  Realistically, wouldn’t they catch up to her in no time?  Maybe the writers should have scaled back the size of the zombie army, so that by the time the fighting is over, it’s just like 3 or 4 of them left vs. Hodor, to make it a little more realistic that he could fend them off long enough for Meera to get a good head start.  Instead it seems like dozens (or more) are left, and so once the door comes down, Meera’s toast.

I thought it was rather clear that Bran had to be sent back to that moment because the Three-Eyed Raven knew that Hodor needed to become debilitated. Like he said, "the ink is dry". Bran was always meant to cause Wyllis to become Hodor and without that occurring none of the present would be possible; without Hodor Bran would have never survived to begin with and the war would be lost.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #361 on: May 29, 2016, 08:03:50 PM »

Is there anywhere I can watch this 4free
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #362 on: May 29, 2016, 09:11:55 PM »

Wait a year and get it from the library?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #363 on: May 29, 2016, 09:57:02 PM »

Lots of plotlines coming together (or finally progressing)!

Benjen is back!

Bran having visions of the Mad King saying "Burn them all!" was cool.

Walder Frey and Edmure Tully are back, the Brotherhood without Banners is back and the Blackfish are (almost) back!

Margaery finally out of the dungeon. Was her conversation with Loras the turning point, seeing him as pathetic? Or is she playing her own game?

Arya gives up the Faceless Men. I hope that other girl dies soon. I wonder which face she'll wear?

Daenerys is finally ready to invade. (though logistically... how is she going to feed all those Dothraki just waiting outside Mereen's gates? How does she feed her dragons too, anyways?)

I still have no idea what to think of the Sam/Gilly storyline... I don't want them to die, but I want to stop wasting time on them. Though at least it was a little different for them tonight.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #364 on: May 30, 2016, 03:56:15 AM »

I think Lady Stoneheart-con just dropped to 2. Tongue
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #365 on: May 30, 2016, 09:58:11 AM »

I hope Lady Stoneheart doesn't come back.  That's something I think won't work nearly as well on TV as it did on the page if GoT goes that route.  I'd much rather see the show diverge from the books in that regard.  I'm hoping the theory that Arya goes with the theatre troupe to perform at the wedding of one Walder Frey's sons in episode ten and somehow poisons Walder Frey while she's there turns out to be correct.  It'd work far better in the context of the show than Lady Stoneheart would imo and it'd be awesome/emotionally satisfying on so many levels. 

On a different note, could another book-reader explain to me why so many people seem to be cheering for "Cleganebowl" and why people even think it will happen?  Am I missing something or does that whole theory fly right in the face of the Gravedigger/the Hound's whole arc?  We already saw the Hound and the Mountain fight early in the first book/season and even then the Hound was clearly trying not to kill his brother.  It seems like it'd undo like 3/4 of his character development for him to suddenly become a vengeance machine.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #366 on: May 30, 2016, 10:25:19 AM »

I hope Lady Stoneheart doesn't come back.  That's something I think won't work nearly as well on TV as it did on the page if GoT goes that route.  I'd much rather see the show diverge from the books in that regard.  I'm hoping the theory that Arya goes with the theatre troupe to perform at the wedding of one Walder Frey's sons in episode ten and somehow poisons Walder Frey while she's there turns out to be correct.  It'd work far better in the context of the show than Lady Stoneheart would imo and it'd be awesome/emotionally satisfying on so many levels. 

On a different note, could another book-reader explain to me why so many people seem to be cheering for "Cleganebowl" and why people even think it will happen?  Am I missing something or does that whole theory fly right in the face of the Gravedigger/the Hound's whole arc?  We already saw the Hound and the Mountain fight early in the first book/season and even then the Hound was clearly trying not to kill his brother.  It seems like it'd undo like 3/4 of his character development for him to suddenly become a vengeance machine.

I think you might be right on it not working so well, but I'm still leaning in favour of it because I think it's kind of cool.

I think it is also beginning to look likely for a number of reasons:

1. They're sending Jamie and Brienne both to Riverrun. In the books this happens so that Lady Stoneheart can get entangled with them. I can't think of a compelling reason to do it otherwise.

2. It makes sense to keep it as a late reveal for a very simple reason. Book readers knew Jon would be resurrected partly because of the whole Lady Stoneheart deal having happened. For show watchers my impression is that it became more of a shock. So it makes sense to me they'd want the big resurrection of Jon happen first.

3. In the episode where that happens they reference the Red Priest. Seems like typical foreshadowing to me. And we know he is going to be in this season as well.

4. The way this season is unfolding I'm increasingly inclined to call BS on the whole "show and book are so divergent" line. They seem to be getting the story to move along very similar lines just in different orders. For example, it seemed like Coldhands had been cut by now he's back. It seemed like Jamie and Brienne being in the Riverlands was cut but now it's happening. Etc, etc.

5. It also seems a bit unreasonable that Arya would make it to Riverrun so quickly, IMO.
---------------------------------

Ok, Cleganebowl. I guess I agree - the weakness in the theory was always that last part. Why would he come back to fight? Then again, the fight has to happen soon. And who else would it be? It has to be someone special, I feel, and they haven't built up any character for the role as the Mountain's opponent yet. So it feels like it'd have to be an existing character. And I can't think of a good fit other than the Hound.

I also think that it's unclear why he'd be alive if not to do this. What else would be the point?

I guess he is fighting for the faith so it's not completely unreasonable that he might do it, not out of vengeance but because of piety or something.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #367 on: May 30, 2016, 12:00:29 PM »

"Burn them all! BURN THEM ALL!"

Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #368 on: May 30, 2016, 12:24:00 PM »

"Burn them all! BURN THEM ALL!"

Maybe that theory that Bran or Bloodraven was responsible for Aerys's madness wasn't out of line.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #369 on: May 30, 2016, 02:33:18 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2016, 02:40:49 PM by Malcolm X »

I hope Lady Stoneheart doesn't come back.  That's something I think won't work nearly as well on TV as it did on the page if GoT goes that route.  I'd much rather see the show diverge from the books in that regard.  I'm hoping the theory that Arya goes with the theatre troupe to perform at the wedding of one Walder Frey's sons in episode ten and somehow poisons Walder Frey while she's there turns out to be correct.  It'd work far better in the context of the show than Lady Stoneheart would imo and it'd be awesome/emotionally satisfying on so many levels.  

On a different note, could another book-reader explain to me why so many people seem to be cheering for "Cleganebowl" and why people even think it will happen?  Am I missing something or does that whole theory fly right in the face of the Gravedigger/the Hound's whole arc?  We already saw the Hound and the Mountain fight early in the first book/season and even then the Hound was clearly trying not to kill his brother.  It seems like it'd undo like 3/4 of his character development for him to suddenly become a vengeance machine.

I think you might be right on it not working so well, but I'm still leaning in favour of it because I think it's kind of cool.

I think it is also beginning to look likely for a number of reasons:

1. They're sending Jamie and Brienne both to Riverrun. In the books this happens so that Lady Stoneheart can get entangled with them. I can't think of a compelling reason to do it otherwise.

2. It makes sense to keep it as a late reveal for a very simple reason. Book readers knew Jon would be resurrected partly because of the whole Lady Stoneheart deal having happened. For show watchers my impression is that it became more of a shock. So it makes sense to me they'd want the big resurrection of Jon happen first.

3. In the episode where that happens they reference the Red Priest. Seems like typical foreshadowing to me. And we know he is going to be in this season as well.

4. The way this season is unfolding I'm increasingly inclined to call BS on the whole "show and book are so divergent" line. They seem to be getting the story to move along very similar lines just in different orders. For example, it seemed like Coldhands had been cut by now he's back. It seemed like Jamie and Brienne being in the Riverlands was cut but now it's happening. Etc, etc.

5. It also seems a bit unreasonable that Arya would make it to Riverrun so quickly, IMO.
---------------------------------

Ok, Cleganebowl. I guess I agree - the weakness in the theory was always that last part. Why would he come back to fight? Then again, the fight has to happen soon. And who else would it be? It has to be someone special, I feel, and they haven't built up any character for the role as the Mountain's opponent yet. So it feels like it'd have to be an existing character. And I can't think of a good fit other than the Hound.

I also think that it's unclear why he'd be alive if not to do this. What else would be the point?

I guess he is fighting for the faith so it's not completely unreasonable that he might do it, not out of vengeance but because of piety or something.
Re: #1: Fanservice?  It'll break the internet no matter what happens.  

Re: #4: I also don't see how narrative economy could allow Lady Stoneheart this season either.

Re: #5: Maybe she can borrow Stannis (that trip from Braavos to the wall only took three episodes) or Littlefinger's teleporter?  It wouldn't be the first time someone moved at the speed of plot on GoT.  A man can dream Tongue

Re: The upcoming battle: I assumed she wouldn't get a trial by combat.  The High Sparrow could just say she committed a crime against the Gods and will be tried by the faith (the judgement of the Seven, not the King's justice).  I'd also bet that wildfire in Bran's vision was from the future when Cersei burns down KL.  Remember, the Mad King never actually got to burn KL, so it can't have been his doing.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #370 on: May 30, 2016, 04:38:51 PM »

Do you think Tommen and Margery are truly converted over to the High Sparrow's side, or just faking it for now?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #371 on: May 30, 2016, 04:59:09 PM »

Do you think Tommen and Margery are truly converted over to the High Sparrow's side, or just faking it for now?

I think Margaery is just pretending to try to save Loras and herself, but Tommen is now a true believer.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #372 on: May 30, 2016, 06:45:40 PM »

Yeah, Tommen is a fcking moron.

The trial by combat is verified in the last episode no?
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #373 on: May 30, 2016, 07:47:36 PM »

Is there anywhere I can watch this 4free

If you have an iTunes account you can do a 30 day free trial for HBO Now. Time it with the last episode and your binging abilities and go to town.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #374 on: May 30, 2016, 08:27:36 PM »

2. Hodor's origin story
3. TBA

If that's the case it confirms my suspicion that Stannis beats Ramsay in the books - since Shireen isn't with him in the books he can't lose and die against the Boltons if he is to later sacrifice her.

One of my friends' theory is that in the books Melisandre will sacrifice Shireen while Stannis is fighting the Boltons. I'd prefer this to be case, but I'm not convinced.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 29  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies