Winter is Coming (GoT is back)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:49:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Winter is Coming (GoT is back)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 29
Author Topic: Winter is Coming (GoT is back)  (Read 56564 times)
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: June 07, 2016, 01:28:24 AM »

I really enjoyed the Arya storyline last episode (FINALLY! after months of marking time)... and then here we go with this implausible getting stabbed in the vital organs 8 million times, falling off a bridge and almost drowning and walking a quarter mile and somehow miraculously not dying.  Bullsh**t, and this show early on knew better.

Also, there's no way the waif would have just let her stay under water for a few seconds without coming back to check on her/finish the job.  Way too amateur of a move.

As I said on the last page: The scene is in some ways so ridiculous that it leaves me to wonder if the FM are pulling some kind of illusion here, for reasons that'll be revealed in the next ep.

Yeah, actually now that you say that, I thought she was having a nightmare for a good thirty seconds or so.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #401 on: June 07, 2016, 02:09:35 AM »

Yeah the "Arya" at the end of the episode was quite clearly not her. My bet is it's Jaqen Ha'gar wearing an Arya mask in order to test the other girl if she would keep her promise to not make Arya suffer (she failed). Now he's leading her into an ambush by leaving a trail of blood
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #402 on: June 07, 2016, 02:14:51 AM »

also wtf how did nobody in this thread mention THE RETURN OF SANDOR CLEGANE GET HYPE!!!
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #403 on: June 07, 2016, 02:24:13 AM »

ok one last thing - right click and open in new tab to read it

Huh
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #404 on: June 07, 2016, 05:40:41 AM »

Guys, this is a show with dragons and ice zombies, not a medical documentary.  To paraphrase MST3K's theme song, "If you're wondering how she survives multiple stab wounds to the gut and other science facts, then repeat to yourself 'it's just a show, I just really just relax.'"
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #405 on: June 07, 2016, 09:28:32 AM »

That seems bizarre why would he of all people be there.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #406 on: June 07, 2016, 10:13:43 AM »

Guys, this is a show with dragons and ice zombies, not a medical documentary.  To paraphrase MST3K's theme song, "If you're wondering how she survives multiple stab wounds to the gut and other science facts, then repeat to yourself 'it's just a show, I just really just relax.'"

Grey Worm got stabbed in the gut once and he was bedridden for multiple episodes and was crippled for the rest of the season

The show itself has demonstrated that being stabbed in the gut is Very Serious Business - but in the preview for next week's episode we see Arya literally parkouring from rooftop to rooftop. Either it wasn't her that got stabbed or Sexy Jesus Man is going to suddenly reveal he has magic stab wound healing powers

It makes sense he would get the hell out of Westeros after he testified against Loras and all that. I have no idea why the show would bring him in now or what he'd be doing in Braavos specifically or why he'd start following Arya, but that bright blue shirt + blonde hair combo is distinct enough that it's making me wonder
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #407 on: June 07, 2016, 11:40:56 AM »

Guys, this is a show with dragons and ice zombies, not a medical documentary.  To paraphrase MST3K's theme song, "If you're wondering how she survives multiple stab wounds to the gut and other science facts, then repeat to yourself 'it's just a show, I just really just relax.'"

Grey Worm got stabbed in the gut once and he was bedridden for multiple episodes and was crippled for the rest of the season

The show itself has demonstrated that being stabbed in the gut is Very Serious Business - but in the preview for next week's episode we see Arya literally parkouring from rooftop to rooftop. Either it wasn't her that got stabbed or Sexy Jesus Man is going to suddenly reveal he has magic stab wound healing powers

It makes sense he would get the hell out of Westeros after he testified against Loras and all that. I have no idea why the show would bring him in now or what he'd be doing in Braavos specifically or why he'd start following Arya, but that bright blue shirt + blonde hair combo is distinct enough that it's making me wonder

Or Lady Crane will find and help her and Arya will be healed by the time the Waif realizes she is still alive (which is even more likely given that she's wearing different cloathes when the jumping occurs.  You guys are really overthinking something that's pretty simple.  Or it could be people don't realize that her arc isn't about becoming a faceless ninja assassin or whatever and are tying themselves in knots to rationalize the fact that Jaqen is clearly one of the villains of her storyline (the FM are pretty unambiguously evil on the show).  *shrug*
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #408 on: June 12, 2016, 04:24:46 PM »

Malcolm, what are your spoilers predictions for this episode? Tongue
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #409 on: June 12, 2016, 06:01:27 PM »

Well,  he is employed by Littlefinger.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #410 on: June 12, 2016, 06:19:52 PM »
« Edited: June 13, 2016, 04:53:17 AM by Malcolm X »

Posted from phone, so sorry for any typos:

Malcolm, what are your spoilers predictions for this episode? Tongue

I actually try to avoid spoilers, since I really enjoy speculating about this stuff and seeing how much I can predict, but anyway ask and you shall receive Smiley

- Jaime and Brienne argue b/c Brienne is mad Jaime is helping the Freys fight the Tullys.  Poderick and Bronn have a little reunion.  Brienne and Pod run away when sh!t hits the fan.  

- The Blackfish refuses to yield and forces the Freys and Lannisters to storm the castle.  There is a big battle (no direwolves Sad ) and the Freys/Lannisters win.  I had been thinking Bronn would die, but I don't anymore.  I don't know that there's time for a face-off between the Blackfish and him, and if it was gonna happen, that'd be the way.  *shrug*  Anywho, the Blackfish is gonna die because there's really nothing left for him to do in the showverse and this isn't season 2/3 where there was plenty of time left for dudes to be forgotten and then pop up later.  I could see the Blackfish killing Lame Lothar though.

- Tyrion and Varys argue about using Red Priests/Priestesses (which is obviously a terrible idea, just like everything Tyrion has done in Meereen).  The slavers and the Sons of the Harpy team up to attack Meereen, but we don't get the actual battle this episode (just the initial first wave of the attack, if that).  Tyrion vs. the Wise Masters of Yunkai!  I wonder who will win in episode nine Roll Eyes

- We'll waste some more valuable screentime with whatever this god-awful subplot they've given the Hound this season.  He'll find some BWB folks and fight them because the Hound fighting is cool or something.  *Warning incoming rant.*  I don't normally care about the book-show differences except when the showrunners make people behave ridiculously out of character (ex: Roose Bolton suddenly trying to comfort Ramsay about the latter's insecurity and not hating him b/c Dave Hill apparently couldn't think of an even remotely IC way to get Roose close enough that Ramsay could gut him, this sorta thing also basically ruined ShowVarys for me during seasons 5-6).  The show is the show and the books are the books, but I gotta make an exception here.  The whole point of the Hound's arc in the books is pretty clearly his transition from a man of violence ("the Hound") to a man of peace ("the Gravedigger") and how the latter is the better path in pretty much every sense.  This dumb subplot has literally the exact opposite message: "So that pacifist dude is nice and all, but he's a dumb who got himself and his followers killed.  Hey look, the lumber-Hound got an axe and is gonna fight people now or something!  Violence is bad, but non-violence is way worse."  I hate to sound like one of those guys from Westeros.org who are always complaining about any little detail that's even remotely different, but this one really gets on my nerves.  I may quit watching altogether if Cleganebowl happens, IDK.  I still enough faith in D&D to hope that doesn't become a thing on the show.  *rant over.*

- Arya will be found and saved/given a safe place to stay while she heals (remember, Bryan Cogman said the storylines don't happen simultaneously, they just end at the same time) by Lady Crane.  When her wound has healed, Arya smears fake/prop blood (maybe pigeon blood since she's always killing or trying to kill pigeons Tongue ) all over her clothes and belly and starts wandering around through the street.  The waif sees her wandering around and chases her through Braavos.  Arya is running and jumping off rooftops while the Waif slowly follows behind her like a slasher movie serial killer or something (complete with her own bloody knife).  Eventually, Arya leaves some bloody handprints on the walls as well as a trail of prop blood leading to a dark ally where she's hidden Needle.  The Waif sees the bloody handprint, turns the corner and walks right into Needle.  Unlike the Waif, Arya makes sure her enemy is dead by poking her full of holes and generally terminating with extreme prejudice.  Arya takes the Waif's body to the House of Black and White.  Jaqen basically says we'll leave you alone b/c a face is a face is a face so the Waif will be added to the wall, but don't ever come back to Braavos.  Also, since Jaqen apparently knows everything, he knows the waif failed her test by trying to make Arya suffer (in other words, the Waif's hatred for Arya made the former "someone" again).  Arya leaves with the theatre troupe (that person who was gonna poison Lady Crane is gone, so now Arya is assigned the role of Sansa either in this episode or in episode ten) on a ship for Westeros.  When Arya is boarding the ship, someone asks her who she is and she ironically replies "no one" despite clearly having once and for all established her identity as "Arya Stark."  We find out that the troupe will be performing the "Evil stupid Ned and Evil Tyrion" play at a wedding in the Twins.  Okay, so maybe that last sentence won't happen, but d*** it, ShowArya killing ShowWalder has been my pet theory since mid-season four and since the latter is clearly gonna die this season, I'm not giving up on it yet.  My guess would be she poisons him in episode ten since we got that shot of her making poisons in Oathbreaker.  Regardless, the important thing is #AryaKillsWalder2016 Tongue  Actually, if that clip of Walder Frey raising a goblet from the season trailer doesn't appear in this episode, I'd bet money that she kills him in episode ten.  

- Cersei demands trial by combat, but Lancel and friends say she'll be judged by the High Sparrow instead since she committed crimes against the Gods.  Cersei gives the "I choose violence line" and FrankenMountain personally sees to it that Lancel and some generic sparrows die serving the Seven Tongue  Kevan decides to back the High Sparrow to spite Cersei b/c he's mad that his son is now as tall as a doormat.  Cersei pretends to back down and says she'll come of her own accord to the trial.  The High Sparrow (remember, he's been showing a YUGE amount of smugness this season and always had a bit of an arrogant streak) decides to allow this and probably figures "What's the worst an unsupervised Cersei could do?  What, is she gonna burn down KL with wildfire and kill us all?  LOLZ."  Some people will probably say the High Sparrow's being dumb and while they won't be wrong, it's dumb in a 100% IC way.  Cersei tells Qyburn to kill Kevan (for siding with the High Sparrow) and Pycelle (b/c she's been looking for an excuse to do this for at least three seasons now) and Qyburn says he'll take care of it.  I don't think they'll actually die until episode ten though.  Boy, episode ten is gonna be a blood bath.  I do wonder if they'll cliffhanger the wildfire stuff and show most of the deaths, but save Cersei and FrankenMountain for episode one of season seven.  IDK, we shall see...

Guys, this is a show with dragons and ice zombies, not a medical documentary.  To paraphrase MST3K's theme song, "If you're wondering how she survives multiple stab wounds to the gut and other science facts, then repeat to yourself 'it's just a show, I just really just relax.'"

*snip*

The thing is that no one cares about Grey Worm.  I was kinda rooting for him and Barristan Selmy to both die b/c all of Dany's people are mind-numbingly dull.  Arya is easily one of the most beloved characters in both the books and show (and probably the only one besides Tyrion who is almost universally beloved by the fandom, aside from a very tiny minority, but no fictional character ever has a 100% approval rating among readers/viewers).
« Reply #411 on: June 13, 2016, 07:43:28 PM »

Why did King Tommen refer to his mother as 'Cersei Lannister'?  Wouldn't she be 'Cersei Baratheon' just as he is 'Tommen Baratheon'?  Was that intentional or just a mistake by the writers?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #412 on: June 13, 2016, 09:44:15 PM »

Why did King Tommen refer to his mother as 'Cersei Lannister'?  Wouldn't she be 'Cersei Baratheon' just as he is 'Tommen Baratheon'?  Was that intentional or just a mistake by the writers?

No, I feel like they've always referred to her as Cersei Lannister on the show.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #413 on: June 14, 2016, 01:08:15 AM »

In the books too. In general there doesn't seem to be a consistent rule about whether women use married names in Westeros.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #414 on: June 14, 2016, 02:56:49 PM »

In the books too. In general there doesn't seem to be a consistent rule about whether women use married names in Westeros.

Indeed, Catelyn and Lysa are referred both as Tully and as their married names of Stark or Arryn, Selyse tends to go as Selyse Baratheon, and women like Margaery Tyrell and Elia Martell go by their original names. So some take their married names, but it doesn't seem to be a truly widespread custom.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #415 on: June 14, 2016, 03:54:37 PM »

Indeed, Catelyn and Lysa are referred both as Tully and as their married names of Stark or Arryn, Selyse tends to go as Selyse Baratheon, and women like Margaery Tyrell and Elia Martell go by their original names. So some take their married names, but it doesn't seem to be a truly widespread custom.

Interestingly some, like LF and the Freys still sometimes refer to her as Catelyn Tully.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #416 on: June 15, 2016, 07:33:02 AM »
« Edited: June 15, 2016, 07:35:17 AM by Mr. Morden »

Why did King Tommen refer to his mother as 'Cersei Lannister'?  Wouldn't she be 'Cersei Baratheon' just as he is 'Tommen Baratheon'?  Was that intentional or just a mistake by the writers?

It seems like the ones who are identified in the story first and foremost by their original family are given that name, whereas those who are more with the family they married into go by their married names.  We first see Cat in Winterfell, and identify her with the Stark clan there, and only later get into the Tully connection.  Similarly, Selyse's role in the story is as Stannis's wife, and we don't really care much about her life before she got married.  Cersei is shown with her husband from the get go, sure, but she's also strongly identified with the Lannister family early on.  And then women like Marg and Sansa who get married partway through the story don't change their name.

Doesn't make much sense in universe, but I guess that's the real life explanation.  Incidentally, there also seems to be a weird thing in the story where almost every significant family has more boys than girls (I think this is even more true in the books, since they cut out a couple of Tyrell boys for the show):

Starks: Robb, Bran, and Rickon outnumber Sansa and Arya...I think Ned's generation is also more male than female?

Baratheons: Robert, Stannis, and Renly...do they have any sisters?; Stannis at least produces a daughter with no sons.

Tullys: Well, OK, I guess Cat's generation is two girls and one boy?  So that's an exception.  But both Cat and Lysa have more boys than girls.

Lannisters: Tyrion and Jaime outnumber Cersei.  Jaime and Cersei's offspring are two boys and one girl.

Greyjoys: Does Balon have any sisters?

Tyrells: Marg and Loras is one each, but I guess there are another couple of brothers in the books.

Targaryens: The mad king had two sons and one daughter.

Martells: Doran and Oberyn: Did they have any sisters?  Doran has one son in the show.  I guess he has more kids in the books, but the boys still outnumber the girls?  Oberyn at least has managed to father a bunch of daughters.

I guess the thing is that it's a patriarchal society, so in general more males than females are going to be powerful political figures.  Which means GRRM could have invented more female characters, but it wouldn't be realistic for just as many female characters as male characters to be power players in the story, so many of them would just be in the background.  I guess he just skips over that by creating a world in which the male:female ratio in the important houses is markedly higher than 1:1.  Tongue
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #417 on: June 15, 2016, 08:08:14 AM »

A few thoughts:

-The King’s Landing plot continues to confuse me somewhat.  Last episode, didn’t Margaery say to Olenna that Loras would be able to atone for his sins if he confesses and offers penance, or something like that?  I don’t remember the details, but it sounded like if he confessed, then he’d be able to get out on parole, and that the punishment for his sins wouldn’t be as steep as eternal imprisonment or death.  So I figured that that’s what her plan was.  To make a deal with the High Sparrow that got her out of the dungeon, and then got Loras out of the dungeon too.  Now I’m a bit confused, as it sounds like Loras is going to have a trial, and it’s not just a simple matter of confessing and taking your licks?

And I’m still confused about Kevan’s motivations.  I understand that he hates Cersei, but I’m kind of confused about what he thinks about the Sparrows, the Tyrells, etc.  How does he feel about Tommen’s alliance with the HS?  I’m not really sure.  Would be good if we had gotten a scene with him either this week or last week or the week before, to flesh that out.

-Edmure says that he’s been imprisoned for “years”.  So I guess that definitively establishes that it’s been at least two years since “The Rains of Castamere”?  So Gilly’s baby is more than two years old, huh?  Maybe one of these days, he’ll learn how to walk and talk?  Or at least crawl?  For some of the storylines, I guess you can make it work for the past three seasons to have covered two years.  But for many of them, it’s quite a reach.  And I’m not sure how to make it work.  Oh well.

-So regarding Meereen: Has Dany’s entire posse made it back to the city, or did Drogon fly ahead with her, while the rest are still a few days away?

I guess for the story it made sense to have the Masters attack, so that by defeating them on the battlefield, Dany create a longer lasting solution for Meereen, allowing her to then leave for Westeros.  I assume she’ll take some combination of captures ships from the Masters, plus Greyjoy ships offered by Yara.  But who’ll go with her?  Everyone?  Presumably at least Tyrion and Daario, plus many of her soldiers (including Dothraki).  But what about Greyworm and Missandei?  Do one or both of them stay behind to rule Meereen?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #418 on: June 16, 2016, 03:06:52 AM »

A couple more thoughts…

-Am I misremembering this, or did Daniel Portman previously put on something resembling an English accent when he was doing Podrick in earlier seasons?  He’s Scottish in real life, but I thought he used an English accent for this role?  In this episode, he sounded 100% Scottish.

-On Arya….she says she’s going “home”, but I don’t know that that means Winterfell.  Could just mean Westeros in general.  It seems unclear to me whether she’s at all up to speed on events in Westeros post-Tywin’s death.

Okay, so maybe that last sentence won't happen, but d*** it, ShowArya killing ShowWalder has been my pet theory since mid-season four and since the latter is clearly gonna die this season, I'm not giving up on it yet.  My guess would be she poisons him in episode ten since we got that shot of her making poisons in Oathbreaker.  Regardless, the important thing is #AryaKillsWalder2016 Tongue  Actually, if that clip of Walder Frey raising a goblet from the season trailer doesn't appear in this episode, I'd bet money that she kills him in episode ten.  

I was thinking about this.  OK, let’s say Arya arrives in the Twins in Episode 10, and kills Walder Frey at the celebration.  Who else is there for that event?  Does Jaime stop by the Twins to take part in the celebration, before his return to KL?  Does he run into Arya there?  Does Brienne cross paths with either Arya or Jaime there?  It does kind of seem like a waste to have diverted Brienne for this sidetrip to the Riverlands, if she’s not going to do anything else there before returning to the North.  She could also run into the Hound and the BwB.

Or better yet, Jaime, Bronn, Arya, the Hound, Beric, Thoros, Brienne, Pod, Walder Frey, and Edmure are all in same scene for Red Wedding II: The Revenge.

Are there any characters who we’re already done with for Season 6?  They sometimes have some of the smaller storylines in a season wrap up as early as episode 8.  (E.g., Sansa’s last episode in Season 4 was Episode 8.)

This time though, there’s a good chance we’ll check in with just about everyone at some point in the last two eps.  Even Sam and Gilly.  Surely we’ll check in with them in Ep. 10 if only to see that they made it to Oldtown?  Jorah’s the most significant character who might wait until next year.  Maybe we’ll check in with him in the finale, but maybe not.  Euron’s also a question mark, as are Ellaria and the Sand Snakes.  Oh, and Olenna.  I assume we’ll get another Bran/Meera/Benjen scene before the end.  When we last saw them, it sounded like they were going back to the Wall, but does that mean Castle Black in particular?  If so, I guess we’ll see Edd and the Night’s Watch.  If not, then maybe not.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #419 on: June 16, 2016, 04:36:08 AM »

Isn't indications that next episode will be all about #bastardbowl, similar to how the Wall battle against the Wildlings was an entire episode in itself? Then they'll wrap up everything else in the last episode.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #420 on: June 16, 2016, 05:08:17 AM »

Isn't indications that next episode will be all about #bastardbowl, similar to how the Wall battle against the Wildlings was an entire episode in itself?

I'm not sure.  I thought I read somewhere that one of the behind the scenes videos indicated that we'd also be getting at least a little of Meereen in Episode 9, but my memory might be playing tricks on me.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #421 on: June 16, 2016, 08:52:36 AM »

I was wondering how many seasons were left, and decided to just look it up myself.  2 short seasons of 7 and 6 episodes.  So we only have 15 episodes left.  Just FYI for anybody that was wondering the same.

link
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #422 on: June 16, 2016, 09:23:56 AM »

I was wondering how many seasons were left, and decided to just look it up myself.  2 short seasons of 7 and 6 episodes.  So we only have 15 episodes left.  Just FYI for anybody that was wondering the same.

link

I don't think they've actually confirmed that Season 8 will be 6 episodes.  It's still kind of in rumor land.  I think they're just now finishing the writing of Season 7, so they probably want to leave themselves some wiggle room on the exact length of Season 8, for when they actually break those stories.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #423 on: June 16, 2016, 08:00:26 PM »

A friend pretty much spoiled the entire ninth episode for me Angry  So sadly, no predictions this week.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #424 on: June 17, 2016, 05:48:15 AM »

A friend pretty much spoiled the entire ninth episode for me Angry  So sadly, no predictions this week.

Huh? Do you know a screenwriter or something? Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 29  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies