Winter is Coming (GoT is back) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:06:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Winter is Coming (GoT is back) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Winter is Coming (GoT is back)  (Read 57407 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« on: April 27, 2015, 11:38:15 AM »

I'm trying to think of a comparable scene from any other TV show, and I'm drawing a blank.

Define 'comparable' (I mean I don't watch this show so I can't infer that accurately). Two things come to mind immediately though. In Cold Lazarus there is an extended sequence showing the memories of Daniel Feeld in which we see him as a boy (played alternatively by a child actor and Albert Finney dressed as a child) being attacked and raped by a tramp (and we also see his trauma afterwards and the trauma of the people who watched his memory. It's a bundle of laughs is Cold Lazarus),* while in Red Riding we see flashbacks of the young BJ about to be passed around a paedophile ring ("Mr Piggott is king today"). Of course both of those TV dramas were not created as Entertainment in the way that Game of Thrones is, which does arguably alter matters.

*Actually there is a lot of very funny things in it, but...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 05:45:05 PM »
« Edited: April 27, 2015, 05:46:59 PM by Sibboleth »

Now, like I said, I'm sure it was "normal" in the kind of society that the Game of Thrones is meant to recreate, but it's an aspect of history that TV usually glosses over.

Well it was (if only amongst arranged marriages in the aristocracy where brides, even when actual children, were sometimes as property that needed to be... um... seeded... as soon as possible, presumably because there were a lot of powerful paedophiles in those days as well: Margaret Beaufort was only thirteen when she gave birth to Henry Tudor for instance. The fact that she had no other children is not a coincidence), but not that way around in gender terms.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies