Police Brutality Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:30:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Police Brutality Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Police Brutality Megathread  (Read 12550 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2016, 12:37:52 PM »

Someone who knows about this sort of thing, why don't cops just immediately deploy stun guns or whatever and leave guns for last resort?
They had already used a Tazer on him with no affect.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2016, 05:47:03 PM »

I was talking about the Minnesota case?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #102 on: July 09, 2016, 07:31:30 AM »

My bad, yeah, that one is clearly funked up and that cop will have the sh**t fall down on him, hard.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #103 on: July 10, 2016, 12:58:33 PM »

I've already seen some Facebook Knuckledraggers explain the Minneapolis case away with "the cop was some kind of Oriental, not white, therefore no racism!!"
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #104 on: July 10, 2016, 09:13:12 PM »

My bad, yeah, that one is clearly funked up and that cop will have the sh**t fall down on him, hard.

Do you know any facts or did you see the actual events leading to that shooting?     If I start video recording  broken glass on a floor after the initial break ,then narrate it as sombody else did it would you believe me?   Would you even question who or how?

The thing in LA is pretty clear to me as justified.  I want to reserve judgment on the shooting in Minnesota as I find it odd that a young officer knowing all of today's media attention to deadly force would go completely rogue in broad daylight and shoot this guy .  This officer was of Asian decent ,so it adds more doubt.   It very well could be a bad shoot similar to the trooper in SC in 2014 and if that's the case .. nail him to the wall.   

I have heard that the weapon was found in his lap.  If that's the case it changes everything.   

None of you are cops I suppose and have no clue on what constitutes deadly force, or even have an understanding of the use of force continuum.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2016, 08:36:56 AM »
« Edited: July 11, 2016, 08:47:33 AM by Beet »

Let's say in the worst possible case in the LA shooting, let's say even though the guy has been saying "what did I do wrong?" and is pinned to the ground by two officers on top with a gun pointed point blank range at him, he somehow has a suicidal intention to pull his gun out of his pocket, it's loaded, he will flip the safety, use his one arm to overpower both arms & body leverage of the 2nd officer, and he will deliver a lethal shot at one of the apprehending officers. In that case, they still could easily have shot off his wrist, or his arm, given how they had him down. They didn't have to put a bullet through the middle of his chest.

At least that's how it looks now. It looks unreasonable. If more information comes out, that could change. But given the 'blue wall' and the fact that the evidence is in the hands of the very cops whose actions are under scrutiny, it's understandable that some people are angry and protesting based on the video.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #106 on: July 13, 2016, 10:48:12 PM »

The video of the Minnesota case is really sad, especially when the guy's little daughter tries to comfort her mummy. Sad

Someone who knows about this sort of thing, why don't cops just immediately deploy stun guns or whatever and leave guns for last resort?

Tasers have a lot of issues. For one they can be ineffective against large built males, who are disproportionately those who commit crimes and need to apprehended. They also aren't exactly 100% safe and non-lethal, they can easily kill someone with a heart problem. Even if used completely correctly it's not like they have no safety risk at all, imagine what happens when someone sprinting away from police instantly stops and falls onto a concrete pavement, and you get the idea. And I'm pretty sure a cop taking out a taser and not using it or merely threatening to is a violation of policy almost always, since the taser could be mistaken as a gun, and get fire in return. In this case the cop already had his gun drawn, so putting it away and pulling out the taser instead wouldn't be a strategically logical move.

The problem with this case is there was no reason at all for the cop to deploy his gun or taser. The man mentioned he had a gun but also a permit for it, which does not constitute a threat. A person who actually poses a threat isn't going to mention that or cooperate. Hell if the cop was still worried he could've done the movie thing where he opens the door while he has his gun drawn, makes the guy get out with his hands up, and then slowly lower his gun onto the ground before searching for his license and permit for it. Not only he did pull the gun without just cause, he gave confusing instructions before firing.

Just about everyone here is pretty pissed about this by the way and even the media coverage is strongly calling wrong, as has Governor Dayton, though many are also getting annoyed at the BLM protests of shutting down the highways which really accomplishes nothing. Today they not only did that but also knocked on some cars and caused damage. I say stick to the protests near the Governor's Mansion and shooting site, doing this just irritates people who are statistically most likely on your side.
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #107 on: July 13, 2016, 10:56:11 PM »

The video of the Minnesota case is really sad, especially when the guy's little daughter tries to comfort her mummy. Sad

They tased the guy in Baton Rouge first. It didn't work. And now he's a new civil rights martyr aka good kid who didn't do nothing wrong. /s
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #108 on: July 15, 2016, 09:07:34 AM »

They tased the guy in Baton Rouge first. It didn't work. And now he's a new civil rights martyr aka good kid who didn't do nothing wrong. /s

What did he do wrong for which he deserved to be killed?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #109 on: July 15, 2016, 09:54:33 AM »

I don't know if he deserved to be killed, probably not, but I know two things that should have happened but didn't.  Those two things?  Well, the first is obvious, don't fight the cops.  Doubly so if you have a gun in your pocket.  The second thing, he got arrested a few years ago for, are you sitting down? fighting the cops with a gun on him.  Shocking I know.  He was convicted and got 5 years...on July 19th, 2011.  He should be getting out of jail next Tuesday.
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #110 on: July 15, 2016, 08:21:05 PM »

What did he do wrong for which he deserved to be killed?

Of course he didn't deserve to be killed. But when you're armed and resist arrest in an extremely high-crime area, it's not a sign of some evil racist police when they're forced to make a split-second life-or-death decision and they make the wrong choice.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies