Nixon vs. Humphrey vs. Wallace Today
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:27:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Nixon vs. Humphrey vs. Wallace Today
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nixon vs. Humphrey vs. Wallace Today  (Read 1992 times)
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 12, 2015, 10:34:22 PM »

Massive Democratic landslide due to the split in the right-wing vote.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 10:53:18 PM »

For the last time, George Wallace was not right-wing.  Being a racist does not make you a conservative; ask William Jennings Bryan and Woodrow Wilson about that.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 10:54:54 PM »

For the last time, George Wallace was not right-wing.  Being a racist does not make you a conservative; ask William Jennings Bryan and Woodrow Wilson about that.

The difference is that his brand of economic populism and race-baiting are currently GOP voters whereas they were Democratic voters in 1968 so a candidacy of someone like him will be of detriment to the Republicans not the Democrats.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 11:07:51 PM »

I think you are seriously overestimating the support for segregation in 2015.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 02:13:34 PM »

Wallace would win Mississippi at the least, even today.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 02:46:36 PM »

The problem with these sorts of hypotheticals is that the issues and the range of acceptable positions change, so the only fair way to do it IMO is to compensate for that. For example, Wallace's views on race may have been shared by 30-40% of Americans in 1968 but obviously would be unthinkable for any mainstream candidate today (remember that he himself renounced them, and won the black vote in 1982 when he ran for Governor), so give him a comparable position by today's standards. Nixon's positions on economics would basically make him a mainstream Democrat today, but made him a moderate Republican then, so perhaps someone like Chris Christie is a more apt comparison.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 02:55:41 PM »

Thank you.  Although I'm not so sure about WJB.  Wilson is a great example though.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 03:00:14 PM »

Thank you.  Although I'm not so sure about WJB.  Wilson is a great example though.

Wallace was in his own little world.  Let's leave it at that.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 03:05:17 PM »

Also, no one has mentioned Nixon's obvious disadvantage.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 03:20:29 PM »

Wallace was in his own little world.  Let's leave it at that.

Very fair.

As for Pass, he was at the very least a pretty open segregationist, to my knowledge.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 03:30:25 PM »

Did Nixon call for a basic guaranteed income or was that later/someone else? I know McGovern did in '72.

I'm not sure about the campaign, but his administration later proposed that in 1969 or 1970. Right-wing and left-wing critics alike assured its defeat. Nixon would later attack McGovern on the proposal, as I recall. However, in the 1968 campaign, he did speak to black voters in the north about tailoring social programs to their needs specifically, and did undertake action in the name of that during his time in office. This was all in a different era, of course, when the GOP still had a shot at taking on the Democrats from the perspective of both states rights and civil rights. In today's world, Rand Paul might be a better comparison (Rand's been attempting to play both the right and the left with his quirky policy proposals, which would have, ironically, had a place in the Nixon administration and type of policy experimentation of the 1970's), though he's obviously in a very different lane than Nixon.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 03:43:51 PM »

George Wallace was much more "pro business" than he said.  Besides, he endorsed Dole in 1996, didn't he? 
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 03:49:40 PM »

Wouldn't there be some massive right wing backlash? The nation has moved dramatically to the right economically since 1968. I mean the Republican nominee supported wage and prices controls, Universal Healthcare and the EPA. Humphrey would have been a standard New Dealer, and even Wallace was pro New Deal.

SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 05:11:22 PM »
« Edited: April 30, 2015, 05:14:14 PM by mathstatman »

I say no change except Nixon wins all the Wallace states plus Texas, and Humphrey wins CA and VT. Wallace's then-recent use of the N word would make him unelectable even in a theoretical sense, and he would finish in the low single digits, perhaps nearing double digits in AL and MS. White southerners would vote for Nixon so as not to waste their vote. Popular vote: Humphrey 48%-Nixon 49%-Wallace 2%. EV: Humphrey 215, Nixon 323 (approximately). As a footnote, in 1972 virtually no one born after 1950 or with more than a high school education backed Wallace, which would severely limit him today.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies